Any multi-game arcade machines/vendors you'd recommend?

Any multi-game arcade machines/vendors you'd recommend?

Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes

Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

Many thanks!

0Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
3y
Quote from @Brian Kantor:

Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

Many thanks!


 I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 705 posts · 799 votes
    3y

    NOT The Arcade Guys! I bought one two years ago and it’s been a total PITA. Maybe it has more to do with the software than the company (although their customer service sucks), in which case you might run into the same issues with other emulators, but it has just been constant headaches.

  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Arcade Headquarters. They are in The Smokies in Tn, but I think they will ship. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:

    Arcade Headquarters. They are in The Smokies in Tn, but I think they will ship. 


     Yep David is the best!   

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ian Tyndall:
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit

    This is true and that is why I have Xbox in my cabins.  However the older generation that lived through the 80s really like that arcade cabinet and they are the ones paying for the trip. 😉
  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    3y

    Has anyone tried either Dream Arcades or Quality Arcades? I am leaning towards Quality Arcades because it's smaller and has more games, but Dream Arcades seems more reputable.

    Best Buy also seems like a strong bet, but they only sell single-game machines.

  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2023 · 41 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    I actually have done a lot of research on this because I love 1980s and 1990s arcade games and plan to collect my favorite 7-8 games eventually. I have read that the best and most cost effective way to purchase games is to visit local arcades and barcades and ask they have any games that are not in use but in good working condition that they can sell you. Apparently a lot of times the owners have more games than their floor can handle and/or have underperforming games that they can sell you. Often the owners are active in selling and trading with other arcades and you can slide right in and purchase one they’ve been trying to sell or trade.

    What games are you looking for? Good luck!


  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Brian Kantor. If you are kinda tech savvy and a DIY guy, you could build one yourself. There are a ton of online resources.

    You could also look at the Arcade1 cabinets as well as the Gamer Legends stuff.

    The Legends stuff go on sale all the time and are pretty high quality.

    I have this one at home - https://www.atgames.us/products/legends-gamer-pro

    Surprising quality and you can load a different firmware and have access to over 1000 old arcade games. Works pretty well!

    I got mine for $99 on sale at Walmart.

  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    3y

    Wanted to also echo that the arcade guys is a garbage project. Countless problems. From software issues that the manufacturers refuse to help you understand, to hardware issues like the joysticks easily pop into the machine when kids bang on em. They also chose to use roku tvs without a physical on button. just terrible, terrible build quality. bought 4 and 2 are already damaged after a year. From now on I only buy arcade1up, it just works perfectly without any issues.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I bought an awesome cocktail arcade table for my wife six years ago. I think it has 3,000 games. There are controllers on each end for 1-player or 2-player games, then a second set of controls on the side for head-to-head games like Street Fighter.

    We have a cheat-sheet with instructions under the glass, and we have a book with laminated pages that lists the instructions and the games. A lot of our guests love it!

    Do a Google search for Awesome Arcades. Family owned, great reviews.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I bought an awesome cocktail arcade table for my wife six years ago. I think it has 3,000 games. There are controllers on each end for 1-player or 2-player games, then a second set of controls on the side for head-to-head games like Street Fighter.

    We have a cheat-sheet with instructions under the glass, and we have a book with laminated pages that lists the instructions and the games. A lot of our guests love it!

    Do a Google search for Awesome Arcades. Family owned, great reviews.

    This place looks awesome, (no pun intended). Thank you!
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Ian Tyndall:
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit

    This is true and that is why I have Xbox in my cabins.  However the older generation that lived through the 80s really like that arcade cabinet and they are the ones paying for the trip. 😉

     also, a lot of the 3/4 size Arcade1 games have multiple games loaded on them.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Ian Tyndall:
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit

    This is true and that is why I have Xbox in my cabins.  However the older generation that lived through the 80s really like that arcade cabinet and they are the ones paying for the trip. 😉

     also, a lot of the 3/4 size Arcade1 games have multiple games loaded on them.

    Yea so I have a variety.  The two types I get from Arcade Headquarters are the standard full size cabinet with 60 games and then a whiskey barrel setup with controls on top with a 42” display mounted on the wall behind it. That has 3000 games with more of the multi player street fighter games.  It also has some lesser known classics such as Popeye, Elevator Action, Gorf etc.  Those two units make a good combo. 
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    I was at Costco yesterday and they had a full size Pac Man machine with many games on it. I think it was $499.....

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 163 posts · 95 votes
    2y

    It is more cost-effective and practical to install a large-size TV and get the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Mini consoles.

    It comes with games preloaded, legal, and each to swap in case something breaks.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Frank Barletta:

    It is more cost-effective and practical to install a large-size TV and get the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Mini consoles.

    It comes with games preloaded, legal, and each to swap in case something breaks.


     Tons of advantages with your suggestion, Frank. Fully agree. I am opting for a true standup arcade machine for the novelty as much as gameplay. Tons of people have the mini-consoles at home, but few have an actual arcade machine.

    After months of deliberation, we went with a 4-player machine from Quality Arcades with the track-ball and two light guns (ie, their top tier machine). All in, it ran me about $2000 (including shipping) and has 18k games. Customer service so far has been great, and repairs seem easy. They told me that they've rarely had a screen crap out, but if it does, they told me that I could buy a new one from them if I wanted, but could likely get a better deal from Costco and easily pop it in. I appreciated that they volunteered that I would not be required to go to them for repairs, but that they were there if I wanted.

    They are delivering it on Monday, December 11th, so I will report back with the verdict once it's up and running.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 163 posts · 95 votes
    2y

    Brooklyn guy - Let me know if you're in midtown. Let's grab a coffee.

    These went on sale during black Friday and figured to share: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Arcade1Up/page/72239652-B330-4...

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    2y

    Arcade Headquarters. They are based out of the Smokies, but will ship nation wide. They are THE best. 

  • Investor · KY · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ian Tyndall:
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit


     Any extra concerns or methods you take to make sure your gaming system does not get broken?

  • Investor · KY · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:

    Arcade Headquarters. They are based out of the Smokies, but will ship nation wide. They are THE best. 


     I hadnt heard of them before

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Cain Humphrey:
    Quote from @Ian Tyndall:
    Quote from @Brian Kantor:

    Hi, all! We want to buy an arcade machine for our STR that plays a bunch of different games. Does anyone have any machines or vendors that they'd recommend that would deliver? Any tips or advice?

    Many thanks!


     I was going to do this, but I changed my mind after talking with my target demographic (my kids). Rather than go with a classic arcade style game that I would like, they got crazy excited at the idea of a PS5 with a game subscription. Their view is that an arcade game is cool for 10 minutes, but a PS5 is something that they would enjoy for their entire stay. 

    I think younger travelers and groups with younger guests find this more appealing. PS5, TV and two gamer chairs is about the same cost or less than an arcade unit


     Any extra concerns or methods you take to make sure your gaming system does not get broken?


     We anchored the top of the machine to the wall to prevent it from tipping over. We send out explicit instructions by email to our guests before check-in and have a hard copy waiting for them upon arrival.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    2y

    Also, after much deliberation, we went with Quality Arcades full-wrap cabinet with 4-controllers, track-ball and two light guns. So far, we couldn't be happier. Cinch to setup and plays well. Will report back if any issues arise.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Kantor can you elaborate on what the track ball is for? Not sure what they purpose is if there's only 1 for 2-4 players . . . Does it make selecting games easier? 

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    @Brian Kantor can you elaborate on what the track ball is for? Not sure what they purpose is if there's only 1 for 2-4 players . . . Does it make selecting games easier? 

     Hey, @Jon Martin. The trackball is for arcade games like Golden Tee, bowling games, baseball games, etc. Here is a full list:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trackball_arcade_games

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2021 · 97 posts · 28 votes
    1y

    I’d recommend checking out companies like Arcade1Up. They have a variety of machines that feature multiple games and are compact enough for most spaces. If you want something more customizable with tons of game options, look into AtGames Legends Ultimate. It’s a bit pricier but supports online updates and even custom game uploads, which is awesome for versatility.

    One tip—make sure the machine fits the vibe of your space. A retro-style cabinet with classic games tends to resonate with guests. Also, check the delivery options carefully since these machines can be bulky. While you’re setting up your gaming area, if you’re into FPS games, you might like diving into iconic maps like Mirage from CS:GO. There’s a cool breakdown here if you ever want to explore gaming design inspiration.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.