AIRBNB, VRBO, Where else do you get your STR bookings

AIRBNB, VRBO, Where else do you get your STR bookings

Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 5 votes

Hello biggerPockets community. I have been looking at getting started in the STR market down in Florida for awhile. My question are:

1) Are most of you just using strictly airbnb and vrbo to get your bookings? If not, where else do you get bookings and what percent?

2) How do you manage your calendar to avoid same nights getting booked at the same time?

3) What percentage of your customers are repeat or referral? Do you have your own website to get bookings to avoid vrbo fees?

Thanks

Jake

0Reply
194 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Jake Chial:

Hello biggerPockets community. I have been looking at getting started in the STR market down in Florida for awhile. My question are:

1) Are most of you just using strictly airbnb and vrbo to get your bookings? If not, where else do you get bookings and what percent?

2) How do you manage your calendar to avoid same nights getting booked at the same time?

3) What percentage of your customers are repeat or referral? Do you have your own website to get bookings to avoid vrbo fees?

Thanks

Jake


Time to read Avery's book! It's called Short Term Rental Long Term Wealth.

Because if we answer those questions it'll open a pandoras box into many more. The book will take care of you. You can find it in the bigger pockets book store!
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I only ever used those two. I tried Booking.Com and Trip Advisor but never got anything. You r ultimate game-on is to convert to direct bookings anyway.

    There is a calendar sync that will import the calendars so you don't have any double bookings. I did have it screw up a couple times and cause me issues but it worked ok 95% of the time....

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Jake!

    What part of FL are you looking at? I co-own a management company statewide but HQ in Tampa.

    We use Abnb, VRBO/Homeaway, Booking.com, Allegiant and JetBlue Airlines, Google Vacation Rentals, Marriott Homes & Villas, and some other smaller ones that do not bring in much like Home2Go etc.  We also bring in about 15-20% through our direct booking site which is important.

    A lot of those I listed only partner with PM with 50+ units so they will not be available if you are self managing.  Self Managing Airbnb and VRBO bring in about 90% of the business.  Booking.com and the others a combined 10% I would say.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    We are on airbnb, VRBO, booking.com, expedia, and furnish finder.

    Half of our business comes from direct bookings. Well, furnish finder bookings that book with us directly since there is no booking through Furnish finder.

    We use hostaway to manage the calendar across platforms.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    We are all AirBNB and VRBO. Recently it has been something like 80% AirBNB. We used to be 95% VRBO.

    I have had some repeat bookings and offered them to book direct with me and avoid the fees but everyone so far has chosen to book through the OTAs.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jake Chial:

    Hello biggerPockets community. I have been looking at getting started in the STR market down in Florida for awhile. My question are:

    1) Are most of you just using strictly airbnb and vrbo to get your bookings? If not, where else do you get bookings and what percent?

    2) How do you manage your calendar to avoid same nights getting booked at the same time?

    3) What percentage of your customers are repeat or referral? Do you have your own website to get bookings to avoid vrbo fees?

    Thanks

    Jake


    Time to read Avery's book! It's called Short Term Rental Long Term Wealth.

    Because if we answer those questions it'll open a pandoras box into many more. The book will take care of you. You can find it in the bigger pockets book store!
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Most of my bookings come from Vrbo.

    Vrbo and Airbnb will synch their calendars with each other. 

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    3y

    I get 70% VRBO, 20% airbnb and 10% direct.  It's been pretty consistent this way from the beginning.  I don't have super host status on airbnb so I think that it's a consistent cycle, I get less airbnb so I can't get super host, no super host, less bookings.  I have a LOT of people saying they want to come back but that's only actually happened twice in 4 years.  I've been growing my direct booking but like @Michael Baum said, most end up booking through an OTA, not sure if it's because they feel safer?

    I have Booking.com and TripAdvisor.  Early on I had quite a few Booking.com bookings but haven't had one in at least a year.  

    Syncing is easy between OTAs.

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Thanks for the input.
    Do most of you have your own website to try and push repeat/referral bookings this way? If so, are there platforms that those in this industry use?
  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jake Chial:
    Thanks for the input.
    Do most of you have your own website to try and push repeat/referral bookings this way? If so, are there platforms that those in this industry use?

     I build my own using Wix.  Honestly, I think it helps people pay my higher rates and pick me over others because of the extra mile I go but it still doesn't help get a ton more direct books for me.

  • Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Hey Jake!

    What part of FL are you looking at? I co-own a management company statewide but HQ in Tampa.

    We use Abnb, VRBO/Homeaway, Booking.com, Allegiant and JetBlue Airlines, Google Vacation Rentals, Marriott Homes & Villas, and some other smaller ones that do not bring in much like Home2Go etc.  We also bring in about 15-20% through our direct booking site which is important.

    A lot of those I listed only partner with PM with 50+ units so they will not be available if you are self managing.  Self Managing Airbnb and VRBO bring in about 90% of the business.  Booking.com and the others a combined 10% I would say.


    Mainly I have been looking in the cape coral and Orlando area. However, when I run numbers in the cape area, I currently cant seem to get much that makes sense. IMO, prices seem to be over inflated at the moment.Orlando is nice because it has huge potential if you know how to setup/run a STR. I'm leaning into this area right now. 8-10 bedroom ~4000sqft is my target

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Jake Chial

    I recommend looking into tampa. Also, Orlando is having serious issues right now with saturation and occupancy. Feel free to DM me if tampa interests you at all.

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 445 posts · 266 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Hey Jake!

    What part of FL are you looking at? I co-own a management company statewide but HQ in Tampa.

    We use Abnb, VRBO/Homeaway, Booking.com, Allegiant and JetBlue Airlines, Google Vacation Rentals, Marriott Homes & Villas, and some other smaller ones that do not bring in much like Home2Go etc.  We also bring in about 15-20% through our direct booking site which is important.

    A lot of those I listed only partner with PM with 50+ units so they will not be available if you are self managing.  Self Managing Airbnb and VRBO bring in about 90% of the business.  Booking.com and the others a combined 10% I would say.

     We do about 15% on our own website and push hard to gradually grow that side of the business through our blog, SEO etc. The rest is Airbnb with about 5% VRBO thrown in.
    @Andrew Steffens how is Marriott performing for you?

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    If you're willing to put in the work, there is a ton of value in setting up your own direct booking site and marketing your STR outside of Air BnB/VRBO.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alice Horn:
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Hey Jake!

    What part of FL are you looking at? I co-own a management company statewide but HQ in Tampa.

    We use Abnb, VRBO/Homeaway, Booking.com, Allegiant and JetBlue Airlines, Google Vacation Rentals, Marriott Homes & Villas, and some other smaller ones that do not bring in much like Home2Go etc.  We also bring in about 15-20% through our direct booking site which is important.

    A lot of those I listed only partner with PM with 50+ units so they will not be available if you are self managing.  Self Managing Airbnb and VRBO bring in about 90% of the business.  Booking.com and the others a combined 10% I would say.

     We do about 15% on our own website and push hard to gradually grow that side of the business through our blog, SEO etc. The rest is Airbnb with about 5% VRBO thrown in.
    @Andrew Steffens how is Marriott performing for you?


     I love Marriott personally.  You can use Amex/Marriott points to book properties which opens up a new market segment.  The guests are generally better than Airbnb and there are no reviews to worry about, and Marriott is very host friendly.  The % of bookings tends to vary by property, with our higher end ones doing better.

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 445 posts · 266 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Steffens great to know! Will be our next channel.

  • Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
    3y

    1. a lot of people start with those two platforms then add direct booking once they've built up their systems and 'following.' >> if you want to do that one day, have awesome insurance, and build a system to get guests' email addresses from day 1.

    2. use a software like Hospitable to sync your airbnb and vrbo calendars for the same property. you can also set up auto messaging on there.

    3. the amount of repeat guests i think depends on your market and what type of guest you cater to. i'd think driveable markets would have more repeat guests, or places that accommodate traveling professionals. i probably wouldn't start up direct booking until you've really found your footing as a host.

  • Property Manager · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2019 · 245 posts · 121 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jake Chial:

    Hello biggerPockets community. I have been looking at getting started in the STR market down in Florida for awhile. My question are:

    1) Are most of you just using strictly airbnb and vrbo to get your bookings? If not, where else do you get bookings and what percent?

    2) How do you manage your calendar to avoid same nights getting booked at the same time?

    3) What percentage of your customers are repeat or referral? Do you have your own website to get bookings to avoid vrbo fees?

    Thanks

    Jake


    Hello, Jake! These are great questions as you consider entering the short-term rental (STR) market in Florida.

    1. Booking Platforms: Many STR hosts use Airbnb, VRBO, Expedia, booking.com, furnish finder and direct bookings through their own websites. Diversifying your listing across multiple platforms can help maximize bookings, and the percentage of bookings from each platform can vary based on your location and property.
    2. Calendar Management: To avoid double bookings, consider syncing your calendars between booking platforms or using channel managers like "Hospitable." These tools automate the process, ensuring your calendar is always up-to-date.
    3. Repeat/Referral Guests: The percentage of repeat or referral customers can vary, but providing excellent service can lead to higher retention rates. I have only gotten a handful of direct bookings so far. 
    4. Hospitable for Efficiency: Consider using tools like "Hospitable," which not only syncs calendars but also allows you to schedule messages, including check-in and checkout instructions. It even leverages artificial intelligence to respond to guest inquiries, streamlining the process and making management much more efficient.
  • Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes
    3y

    We do about 20% of our bookings through non Air/VRBO/Direct booking platforms. 

    Booking.com does a great job of attracting non US based renters but the fee structure/cancelation policies and customer service are pretty awful.  

    TripAdvisor on the other hand has amazing fee structure and is probably the most owner friendly OTA but doesn´t generate a ton of bookings unfortunately. 

    Another poster, sorry for not remembering your name, compiled a really comprehensive list of all the OTA´s available to short term hosts.  I´ll paste the link below.  Cheers and good luck!



    List of Rental Platforms (notion.site)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    2y

    Do note that there is a big difference between Leisure markets vs Urban Markets.

    Examples of Leisure Markets:
    Gulf Shores, AL / Park City, UT / Maui, HI

    Examples of Urban Markets:
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA / Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA

    Share of Guest Reservations in US Urban Markets (2023)

    74% Airbnb / 5% Booking.com / 7% Direct / 15% VRBO

    Share of Guest Reservations in US Leisure Markets (2023) 

    15% Airbnb / 1% Booking.com / 55% Direct / 29% VRBO

    Urban markets tend to have more Airbnb guests whereas Leisure markets might have more VRBO / Direct booking guests.

    I hope this helps!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    @Gi'angelo Bautista, where did you get this data?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    2y

    @Michael Baum I got it from one of the sessions at a vacation rental conference.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Hmm. Ok. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Airbnb/VRBO/etc are great, but also think outside of the box! For example, I started getting inquiries just by posting my Airbnb reviews on social media. Friends started reaching out to see if my place was available before looking to strangers. I've even had realtors reach out for their clients who need temporary housing until closing day. If you don't have a direct booking site, you can always just send people your Airbnb link. Get the word out about your STR outside of the booking sites! Management sites like Guesty and Hospitable are a gem to avoid same night bookings, but they don't link to every booking site available. If you don't want to limit where you're listing, you can link calendars, block dates on your own direct booking site, or require pre-approvals to book. Many options - just depends on how you want to run your business.

    ---
    I'm a Realtor and Airbnb co-host in Atlanta and surrounding areas. Message me if you're looking for a property or need relief from the day-to-day management of your STR.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 70 votes
    2y

    @Michael Baum sorry, I was driving around town too much earlier today and I couldn't find the information right away. The company was KeyData.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Ok thanks.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.