Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Account Closed:
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
Absolutely! We just get Internet service and use Firestick along with a streaming service. I tried YouTube TV, but switched to Fubo because of their emphasis on sports....
Using steaming services is the way to go nowadays....!
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
thats great. so you give guests access to your Youtube TV?
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
We do the same. I don't think it gets used that much outside of sports, but local channels become really important during special events. Sports and weather are the main drive. For instance, the fire we had two years ago near Pigeon Forge. It was really handy being able to stay on top of CURRENT local weather during that fire. I was able to let my guests know what channels to watch to keep tabs on the fire until it became time to evacuate.
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
thats great. so you give guests access to your Youtube TV?
No. I have them their own login which is already activated on the TV. They just click on the icon to watch cable like TV.
Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
2y
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Account Closed:
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
We have that too. It can also display a custom message.
I stopped using it when I installed You Tubetv as I don't want them logged out of all the cable channels.
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
For my price range and guests we attract sports provided by me is a must. I have looked at YouTube tv or streaming but would need a way for guests not to be able to logout. I currently stream for myself and am annoyed how many times I have to relogin to apps and last thing I want to deal with on a Friday or Saturday night our with my family is talking on the phone a non-technical guests how to relogin to an app.
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
do you feel it makes a difference? that it has landed you a booking because of it?
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
do you feel it makes a difference? that it has landed you a booking because of it?
Just made the change on Vrbo and Airbnb, but We have families vacationing at our properties and it costs so little compared to my rental rates.
I have nor rented a place because they didn't have satellite TV or cable. I figure if they are that cheap they won't have a great property.
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
We have that too. It can also display a custom message.
I stopped using it when I installed You Tubetv as I don't want them logged out of all the cable channels.
my last fishing trip to Montana had some version of streaming and myself and my banker could not figure out how to work it at all.. it sucked.. WE just wanted to watch basic cable and oculd not get that to work.. maybe they did not have it.. had 100s of goofy channels. .
We have multiple ways to rise above the competition.
Here is one.
We have cable channels and NFL Sunday ticket. So many others are cutting corners on this and who knows what else! We use You Tube TV for cable channels that include the local channels. You can ALSO log into your favorite streaming services with our smart TV's using your existing accounts.
You deserve to stay where the owners aren't cheap and don't cut corners!
thats great. so you give guests access to your Youtube TV?
No. I have them their own login which is already activated on the TV. They just click on the icon to watch cable like TV.
How do you prevent them from just using your ID on the TV? When I open my Youtube TV app on Roku, I see the list of people I have on my account. I could just open one of their accounts instead of my own.
One thing I will say is I have never had a single person ask for any TV that they didn't already have their own streaming account. I originally thought it would be an issue and provided streaming Charter but when I would ask after stays I was always told either no one bothered watching TV at all (too busy at the parks, etc) or they all had their own streaming services already and didn't need any. So I eventually just did away with the Charter streaming and never got a complaint.
I suspect what TV you offer will largely depend on the nature of your rental. If it's out in the boondocks somewhere, there's probably a decent amount of TV watching going on once it gets dark. If it's in an area where all of the attractions are outside the home, probably very little. We find that some of our TVs have never even been turned on (we have Smart ones in every bedroom, plus one in the game room and one in the living room).
One other thing: Youtube TV wouldn't work for local channels if you don't live where your STR is. You can only pick one market for your local channels. So if you pick your STR you won't be able to watch them at home. Just an FYI.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
I encourage our property owners whose ADR is $300+ a night not to skimp on cable. For units under that I think streaming is just fine. If you are somewhere ultra competitive, it may make sense to have it regardless!
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
We have that too. It can also display a custom message.
I stopped using it when I installed You Tubetv as I don't want them logged out of all the cable channels.
my last fishing trip to Montana had some version of streaming and myself and my banker could not figure out how to work it at all.. it sucked.. WE just wanted to watch basic cable and oculd not get that to work.. maybe they did not have it.. had 100s of goofy channels. .
The reason I haven't switched to streaming at my properties is my banker complained that when she stayed at another property in my market they had streaming and her large party of professionals couldn't watch an SEC football game and they had to watch it on their phones.
While I am looking for ways to be more efficient this year across my STR properties I will not skimp on sports and it must be an easy guest experience. Oftentimes I have guests message me and ask "What channel is this game on?" I quickly google DishTV or DirectTV channel for Cowboys/Ravens/Hornets etc... and message them back.
I could be different, but I actually desire a dumbed down roku TV (only) for the following reasons:
1) it's all my kids know and understand. Mom and dad want to sleep in for an hour on vacation, and that one time where the kids woke us up to try and figure out something that wasn't Roku was enough to teach me that lesson, lol
2) If I'm watching more than maybe an hour of TV on vacation, I'm doing it all wrong!
In 2 years we've not had one complaint of the Roku only TV's. I'm thankful to not have yet another subscription
Any issues with guests logging out of your YouTube tv? Was thinking of trying it but I am concerned guests will log out of ours and into their Youtube tv and then log out of theirs at checkout leaving it logged out for the next guest. How do you guest proof it?
My newer TVs have "Guest" mode. When the guest turns on the TV, it prompts them to enter their departure date and time. When that time comes, the TV automatically logs off all accounts. Our guests loved it!
We have that too. It can also display a custom message.
I stopped using it when I installed You Tubetv as I don't want them logged out of all the cable channels.
my last fishing trip to Montana had some version of streaming and myself and my banker could not figure out how to work it at all.. it sucked.. WE just wanted to watch basic cable and oculd not get that to work.. maybe they did not have it.. had 100s of goofy channels. .
The reason I haven't switched to streaming at my properties is my banker complained that when she stayed at another property in my market they had streaming and her large party of professionals couldn't watch an SEC football game and they had to watch it on their phones.
While I am looking for ways to be more efficient this year across my STR properties I will not skimp on sports and it must be an easy guest experience. Oftentimes I have guests message me and ask "What channel is this game on?" I quickly google DishTV or DirectTV channel for Cowboys/Ravens/Hornets etc... and message them back.
Exactly my experience with my Banker LOL.. I guess we are just getting old.. it sucked big time we could not figure out how to use the darn thing and ended up going to a local sports bar..
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
With Xfinity service as long as you pay for one cable box (has to be connected to coax but not TV) then you can stream Xfinity Live TV through all your Roku TVs. That is what we have been doing for many years. Guest mode is nice but you can't use it with a setup like what me or @John Underwood have.
With Charter Spectrum you can subscribe to the App-Only version of their Cable TV service (and I think this is true for other major cable providers?). I use this in my personal home and my STR property. It adds around $40/month to the cost of your internet service.
Guest simply needs to turn on the TV and go to the Spectrum app on the Roku (or any similar device), which I tell them on my "house rules/faq" sign right at the front door. Once in the app it looks just like any other Cable TV interface. Never had anyone call to ask how to use it, although to be fair, I'm not sure how many people watch TV. Either way- I prefer this for several reasons:
-Cable boxes are an absolute scam. The cable companies require you to pay extra for something that you probably don't even want, given that they provide no value and are also another clunky device requiring wiring, space etc. Cable companies have even lobbied congress to allow them to force them on consumers for each TV.
-No clunky remote with 50+ buttons that hasn't been redesigned since 2003 that guests need in addition to 1-2 other remotes to perform basic functions. Even if it can be programmed to be a one-stop remote they are still confusing and unintuitive.
-Quick access to other streaming apps and the guests can use their own log in. I don't subscribe to any, but if they want to use them bad enough, they will dig up their password and make it work.
With Charter Spectrum you can subscribe to the App-Only version of their Cable TV service (and I think this is true for other major cable providers?). I use this in my personal home and my STR property. It adds around $40/month to the cost of your internet service.
Guest simply needs to turn on the TV and go to the Spectrum app on the Roku (or any similar device), which I tell them on my "house rules/faq" sign right at the front door. Once in the app it looks just like any other Cable TV interface. Never had anyone call to ask how to use it, although to be fair, I'm not sure how many people watch TV. Either way- I prefer this for several reasons:
-Cable boxes are an absolute scam. The cable companies require you to pay extra for something that you probably don't even want, given that they provide no value and are also another clunky device requiring wiring, space etc. Cable companies have even lobbied congress to allow them to force them on consumers for each TV.
-No clunky remote with 50+ buttons that hasn't been redesigned since 2003 that guests need in addition to 1-2 other remotes to perform basic functions. Even if it can be programmed to be a one-stop remote they are still confusing and unintuitive.
-Quick access to other streaming apps and the guests can use their own log in. I don't subscribe to any, but if they want to use them bad enough, they will dig up their password and make it work.
That's what I had but no one watched it. It's been off the tvs for over a year and there's not been a single inquiry about it.
That's what I had but no one watched it. It's been off the tvs for over a year and there's not been a single inquiry about it.
Maybe people just aren't watching much TV at all? That's what I'm wondering myself. Less than 10% of the units in my market have cable tv on their listing. I haven't gotten a single call or message, which I'm sure I would've gotten if someone was dying to watch a game or their favorite show and couldn't figure it out. Has local channels, and with the Roku remote it is pretty simple and intuitive to find what you need.
That's what I had but no one watched it. It's been off the tvs for over a year and there's not been a single inquiry about it.
Maybe people just aren't watching much TV at all? That's what I'm wondering myself. Less than 10% of the units in my market have cable tv on their listing. I haven't gotten a single call or message, which I'm sure I would've gotten if someone was dying to watch a game or their favorite show and couldn't figure it out. Has local channels, and with the Roku remote it is pretty simple and intuitive to find what you need.
I think a big part of it is that mindless surfing is becoming a thing of the past. People go right to the platforms they want to watch, and they just keep subscriptions (or share them) for whatever they like. When we made our winter visit this year, I found that a couple of the TVs had never even been turned on since last year - they were still in guest mode for the times and dates I had programmed last fall. Literally the only TV request I've had in the past year was a British couple that asked me if I knew a good British Pub in the area because there was some local British soccer team they wanted to watch and the games were only carried on some British channel.