Furnishing STR Do's and Don'ts

Furnishing STR Do's and Don'ts

Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes

Hi everyone:

My husband and I are in the process of furnishing our transforming our second home in the White Mountains (Thornton, NH) into a STR. The market has a lot of baseline - economically friendly STRS but only a few luxury STR's, most of which are dated and drab. Our goal is to me a more accessible luxury option for couples and families. I personally prefer staying in a nicer STR and appreciate nicer finishes, details, and a unified ascetic, and want to provide a similar experience to our future guests. I am a lover of interior design (think Amber Lewis and Architectural Digest) and could easily go overboard decorating and furnishing the place, which I'd like to avoid haha. I also recognize that AirBnB's can be used and abused, which makes sturdy and reliable furniture selection even more important. But where does one find ascetically pleasing furniture that is built to last without breaking the bank?

What are your favorite places to buy furniture and goods for your STRs?  From night stands to linens, we'd love any and all input!

Thanks in advance!
Natalie


2Reply
258 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
2y

I like to buy inexpensive antique furniture. You can find this at either low-end antique stores, or high end thrift stores. Solid wood is a plus, it depends what period of design you're looking for though? Some pieces might need some minor work like upholstering or staining

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Pardon the typos - typing fast and didn't proof!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    I like to buy inexpensive antique furniture. You can find this at either low-end antique stores, or high end thrift stores. Solid wood is a plus, it depends what period of design you're looking for though? Some pieces might need some minor work like upholstering or staining

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    2y

    Hi. I'm in the same boat as you - prefer higher end vacation rentals with quality finishes. I use Contract grade items from places like Pottery Barn (or the family of William Sonoma brands). Apparently there is a standard that they need to follow to be considered contract grade for commercial use. Because I have an LLC, I have a B2B account with them and get a 20% discount making things a bit more affordable. I have a B2B account with Crate & Barrel, too but I find them much more expensive. Every time I've tried places like Wayfair or Amazon (even for nicer pieces), well, it still feels like Amazon or Mayfair. Hope this helps.

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

    Hi. I'm in the same boat as you - prefer higher end vacation rentals with quality finishes. I use Contract grade items from places like Pottery Barn (or the family of William Sonoma brands). Apparently there is a standard that they need to follow to be considered contract grade for commercial use. Because I have an LLC, I have a B2B account with them and get a 20% discount making things a bit more affordable. I have a B2B account with Crate & Barrel, too but I find them much more expensive. Every time I've tried places like Wayfair or Amazon (even for nicer pieces), well, it still feels like Amazon or Mayfair. Hope this helps.


     So helpful! I have been looking at Article and West Elm's contract grade options. I will check out Pottery Barn, too.  What are your thoughts on Linens (for beds and towels?).  All white? All gray? I have heard and read a couple different perspectives on this.  My hope is that the clientele we bring in won't completely trash the place but I realize that is just wishful thinking and that people, regardless of income/ what they are willing to pay, can behave like animals (I was in the auto industry before becoming an attorney and the things I saw walking trades will forever haunt me). 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Natalie Medved, take this with a grain of salt, as my wife and I only owned our Airbnb for about 18 months, but also have a close friend that manages something like 20 in the PHX area (a combo of personally owned and 3rd party for clients).

    We generally had luck in our furniture with the higher end Ikea, mixed with some vintage finds and some new from places like West Elm and Crate and Barrel.  I generally agree that you get what you pay for, so expensive pieces are often more likely the be true wood construction, and vintage is definitely the case.  A website like 1stDibs might be convenient enough to make the prices worthwhile for vintage furniture.

    On the linen front, we used white.  I have never been to a hotel (that I recall) that didn't use white linens, so I take that as proof.  They can be bleached to get most small stains out fairly easily.  

    While the design a key component to getting people to book your property, the stay experience is key.  Providing all the necessities for cooking and cleaning up.  Providing shampoo and soap and detergent for washer/dishwasher.  Providing coffee.  When my wife and I had our Airbnb, we thought of it like a hotel: lots of towels, wash clothes, blankets, pillows, well designed, etc. This is what I am always hoping for, personally, when I stay in an Airbnb.  In fact, the best ones I have stayed in are the ones that people ACTUALLY live in, because they have all the things one would expect.

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Natalie Medved

    In the competitive world of STRs now, you have to differentiate yourself. I agree with you that good interior design is a great way to do it.

    My vacation rentals clients here in Colorado that pay for a designer outperform their competition by 25% or more. If you have that eye, go for it, but know that if you pay for it, it will be worth it. 

    For instance, the below cute Airbnb between Denver and Breckenridge is projected by AirDNA to make $55k but is actually pulling $85k.

    Likewise, the below client's short-term rental in the mountains west of Colorado Springs is grossing double their competition.

    If you go it yourself, I agree with @Patricia Andriolo-Bull. Pottery Barn, West Elm, and Crate & Barrel are a touch above without being excessive. 

    Good luck!!

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalie Medved:
    Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

    Hi. I'm in the same boat as you - prefer higher end vacation rentals with quality finishes. I use Contract grade items from places like Pottery Barn (or the family of William Sonoma brands). Apparently there is a standard that they need to follow to be considered contract grade for commercial use. Because I have an LLC, I have a B2B account with them and get a 20% discount making things a bit more affordable. I have a B2B account with Crate & Barrel, too but I find them much more expensive. Every time I've tried places like Wayfair or Amazon (even for nicer pieces), well, it still feels like Amazon or Mayfair. Hope this helps.


     So helpful! I have been looking at Article and West Elm's contract grade options. I will check out Pottery Barn, too.  What are your thoughts on Linens (for beds and towels?).  All white? All gray? I have heard and read a couple different perspectives on this.  My hope is that the clientele we bring in won't completely trash the place but I realize that is just wishful thinking and that people, regardless of income/ what they are willing to pay, can behave like animals (I was in the auto industry before becoming an attorney and the things I saw walking trades will forever haunt me). 


     I have a pretty specific design style.  I like white, neutral (like white oak) and black.  I throw in pops of color with other accessories.  I tried really nice black towels in the bathrooms since towels stain so easily and frankly, I really liked the look of them against the white aesthetic but several guests complained that they couldn't tell if the towels were "clean".  Go figure.  So now, everything is white.  I do end up replacing towels just about every year.  They get used quite a bit.

  • Peter StewartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 160 posts · 168 votes
    2y

    I take the same approach with my STR's. I buy most of my main furniture pieces at Haverty's and I always get the extended coverage plan (covers spills, tears, etc). I buy the secondary stuff (like side tables, coffee tables, rugs, etc) on Wayfair. They do have some cheap stuff, but usually price will dictate the quality level.

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Awesome. Seems like we share the same taste.  Lots to do yet (re art and decor), but it's good to know that the neutral ascetic has been embraced. Quick Q:  Note the crappy old fan - would you spend the money to upgrade it? Seems like we should bite the bullet and replace it as the devil is in the details. Or is it something that guests won't appreciate or care about? 

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Natalie Medved

    In the competitive world of STRs now, you have to differentiate yourself. I agree with you that good interior design is a great way to do it.

    My vacation rentals clients here in Colorado that pay for a designer outperform their competition by 25% or more. If you have that eye, go for it, but know that if you pay for it, it will be worth it. 

    For instance, the below cute Airbnb between Denver and Breckenridge is projected by AirDNA to make $55k but is actually pulling $85k.

    Likewise, the below client's short-term rental in the mountains west of Colorado Springs is grossing double their competition.

    If you go it yourself, I agree with @Patricia Andriolo-Bull. Pottery Barn, West Elm, and Crate & Barrel are a touch above without being excessive. 

    Good luck!!


     Did your clients use a local or national design firm? I was looking at Showplace and Heavenly but wondering if an in person assessment would be more effective.  If I had the time I wouldn't be worried about doing it by myself, but I'd love to get the property up and running before Memorial Day weekend.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I also operate in a New England market (downeast Maine) that has the old, legacy vacation rental feel to it. Listings are stale and easy to beat. 

    You have to take a bit of a bifurcated approach to furnishing. You can't go all out and spend for the best of everything day 1, but you need some signature pieces or elements of design that stick out. Think about the room or part of the house (maybe it's outside) that will be your cover photo - spend money there first. Now think about the room(s) that your guests will spend the most amount of time. For example, the master bedroom better have a great mattress bc that's where the person who books the stay will be sleeping. That's who is paying for it and who will be leaving you a review. 

    I could go on, but you get the idea - make a priority list and spend money on that. Fill in the rest with IKEA, wayfair, etc. As you start making money, you can make upgrades. 

    I also like finding local furniture stores if you manage remotely. In the case where something breaks and needs replaced, those guys are the ones that can deliver something the next day. If you have an order history and relationship with them, it helps get things done fast when you are in a jam.

    Good luck and let me know if I can be helpful. This part sucks. You're going to start bleeding cash hoping that it works. 

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 362 posts · 109 votes
    2y

    Transforming your property into a luxury short-term rental (STR) in the White Mountains sounds like an exciting venture, Natalie! Balancing aesthetic appeal with durability and cost-efficiency is key in this process. Look into trade programs offered by high-end furniture and home decor retailers, Consider commercial-grade furniture which is designed to withstand heavy use.
    Remember, the goal is to create a space that stands out in the market and provides a memorable experience for your guests. By choosing items that blend style, durability, and functionality, you’ll set yourself up for success. Good luck with your STR transformation, Natalie!



     

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Natalie Medved, so I differ a bit from everyone who has replied.

    I would scour Craigslist, OfferUP and FB marketplace looking for USA made quality furniture. Like couches, chairs, dining, hutches, buffets etc.

    People sell stuff that is almost new condition for pennies compared to new. Even free. We have 2 Basset pieces that are near perfect and were zero in cost. I bet they were 5k for the set. I bought a brand new, never used La-Z-Boy hideabed queen couch for $150. They tossed in the matching chair.

    Excellent shape Thomasville dining set with buffet, $100. USA made light oak set for the breakfast nook, $50.

    The most expensive thing I bought was a 3-1 game table. USA made for $300. With chairs.

    So if you are diligent you can score some real deals. I didn't buy a single piece of furniture new. New mattresses of course. Zinus Green Tea 12" memory foam.

    For linens, you want a 70/30 or so cotton/poly blend. 100% cotton is nice but it is harder to get stains out of and wrinkles badly. No microfiber (except kids beds).

    Always white. Towels as well. You want to be able to spot stains asap so as not to wash and get them set in.

    We use the Grandeur Hospitality towels from Costco. They are very reasonable (especially on sale) and are quite nice. They hold up very well. We still have some original ones from 7 years of use still in rotation. Same with the hand towels and washcloths.

    The time to use Ikea and Wayfair is for smalls. Like occasional tables to fill an area. Even then, check the used sites for deals. Those are often free. I like the Ikea solid wood dressers. We have one and it is holding up just fine.

    If I were to buy everything I have new, I would be into it for 50k I bet. The living room alone would be 15k in couches, loveseats and chairs.

    Hit up the Goodwill, maybe a Restore. They both often have nice items for decor for next to nothing.

    I know this all sounds like I am outfitting a C class STR but if you look hard, you can find tons of amazing stuff for next to nothing. You are in a great area of the country for quality used stuff.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Natalie Medved I love seeing well-booked and high-priced competition with bad decor, it's a good sign that with some thought you can clean up!

    I would replace the ceiling fan. It's not terrible, but a newer black ceiling fan will make the photos pop. Similar to the way a new roof helps an exterior.

    If you look at professional product photos for homewares, there is usually a single (or at most a small handful of) non-neutral color(s) that is repeated throughout various elements in the room (area rug, throw pillow, bed scarf, vase/sculpture, picture etc). Not only do the colors make the photo pop, the pattern has a naturally calming effect on the mind and implies that your place is orderly in addition to being stylish! Fake plants are great too and add freshness, nobody cares that they are fake. 

    Make sure your decor fits the theme of your area, or at the very least don't have anything that is in conflict. Don't have a photo of the Maldives if you are in the Northeast. Finding vintage items that relate to your area and old photographs can add a lot of character as well. 

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Hi Jon:  This is great feedback, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.  I agree that the updated ceiling fan will make it pop but am worried that the black would be too much or cut the room up.  When we bought the place in 2020 this whole room was a deep butter scotch yellow with pine wood stairs, cabinets, and massive furniture (see before photos below). When I planned the design I incorporated a good deal of rod iron (we did a mix metal theme in the house) in the custom stair case that we put in (after photos below). What do you think? Is there enough white and neutral tones or will the black ceiling fan make the great room feel smaller?  Next Q: what color would you paint the outside?  This house isn't winning any architectural design awards on the outside-- I joke that it is having an identity crisis.  I don't want to highlight any of the angles so I was thinking of painting it all the same color.  A ink-black, deep navy, or charcoal?  Thoughts? I figured those colors would pop from fall, winter, spring and through the summer.  Welcome any and all feedback!

    • New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Natalie Medved:

      Hi Jon:  This is great feedback, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it.  I agree that the updated ceiling fan will make it pop but am worried that the black would be too much or cut the room up.  When we bought the place in 2020 this whole room was a deep butter scotch yellow with pine wood stairs, cabinets, and massive furniture (see before photos below). When I planned the design I incorporated a good deal of rod iron (we did a mix metal theme in the house) in the custom stair case that we put in (after photos below). What do you think? Is there enough white and neutral tones or will the black ceiling fan make the great room feel smaller?  Next Q: what color would you paint the outside?  This house isn't winning any architectural design awards on the outside-- I joke that it is having an identity crisis.  I don't want to highlight any of the angles so I was thinking of painting it all the same color.  A ink-black, deep navy, or charcoal?  Thoughts? I figured those colors would pop from fall, winter, spring and through the summer.  Welcome any and all feedback!


       Wow, they did a great job on this reno! What's the location?

  • Investor · Ventnor City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 34 votes
    2y

    I love setting up my Airbnbs.  We do well and always get great reviews on our furnishings. 

    I mostly look at thrift and vintage stores, auctions, and estate sales for dressers, tables, artwork, curtains, some kitchenware- whatever I can find is newer, quirky or can be refinished. I've had bad experience with vintage side chairs in my Victorian- looked great, but not sturdy enough to take the beating. I buy new dining chairs now.   You have to think about your time when acquiring these pieces, tho. In one market, used items were hard to find- just not a lot outlets outlets for them. For time's sake, you might have to buy new. If you are able, do try to get used dressers- they just don't make them like they used to! I do use Ikea or Wayfair when I have to. Some things are great,  tho some pieces are junk which is really bad when you  wait over a week for a shipment only to see and then regret you bought it. Read reviews when buying online.

    We do buy most of our area rugs on Wayfair or Overstock.  All white (Egyptian cotton) linens on Amazon- I usually get 2-3 years out of those. I buy the plain white Ikea tableware. It's almost identical to crate and barrels for fractions of the cost. Some Ikea cookware too. It just depends on the quality. TJMaxx and Home Goods are helpful for pans and kitchen accessories. 

    Mistakes I have made- buying cheap sofas- mostly because they are uncomfortable-- the ones I ordered online but also Ikea, where I had the opportunity to test them out. I didn't think about the fact that the Ikea sofas had been "broken in" by hundreds of people. Out of the box, mine was hard as hell and never got comfortable. 

    I agree with other's advice about neutrals with pops of one or two colors. Something about your exterior- door color maybe- could reflect the interior( tho I'm not saying matchy-matchy). 

    The black fan is right on- it ties together your black wrought iron railing. 

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pat Mulligan:

    I love setting up my Airbnbs.  We do well and always get great reviews on our furnishings. 

    I mostly look at thrift and vintage stores, auctions, and estate sales for dressers, tables, artwork, curtains, some kitchenware- whatever I can find is newer, quirky or can be refinished. I've had bad experience with vintage side chairs in my Victorian- looked great, but not sturdy enough to take the beating. I buy new dining chairs now.   You have to think about your time when acquiring these pieces, tho. In one market, used items were hard to find- just not a lot outlets outlets for them. For time's sake, you might have to buy new. If you are able, do try to get used dressers- they just don't make them like they used to! I do use Ikea or Wayfair when I have to. Some things are great,  tho some pieces are junk which is really bad when you  wait over a week for a shipment only to see and then regret you bought it. Read reviews when buying online.

    We do buy most of our area rugs on Wayfair or Overstock.  All white (Egyptian cotton) linens on Amazon- I usually get 2-3 years out of those. I buy the plain white Ikea tableware. It's almost identical to crate and barrels for fractions of the cost. Some Ikea cookware too. It just depends on the quality. TJMaxx and Home Goods are helpful for pans and kitchen accessories. 

    Mistakes I have made- buying cheap sofas- mostly because they are uncomfortable-- the ones I ordered online but also Ikea, where I had the opportunity to test them out. I didn't think about the fact that the Ikea sofas had been "broken in" by hundreds of people. Out of the box, mine was hard as hell and never got comfortable. 

    I agree with other's advice about neutrals with pops of one or two colors. Something about your exterior- door color maybe- could reflect the interior( tho I'm not saying matchy-matchy). 

    The black fan is right on- it ties together your black wrought iron railing. 


     Thank you, Pat! Such great tips! 

  • NH · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalie Medved:

    Hi everyone:

    My husband and I are in the process of furnishing our transforming our second home in the White Mountains (Thornton, NH) into a STR. The market has a lot of baseline - economically friendly STRS but only a few luxury STR's, most of which are dated and drab. Our goal is to me a more accessible luxury option for couples and families. I personally prefer staying in a nicer STR and appreciate nicer finishes, details, and a unified ascetic, and want to provide a similar experience to our future guests. I am a lover of interior design (think Amber Lewis and Architectural Digest) and could easily go overboard decorating and furnishing the place, which I'd like to avoid haha. I also recognize that AirBnB's can be used and abused, which makes sturdy and reliable furniture selection even more important. But where does one find ascetically pleasing furniture that is built to last without breaking the bank?

    What are your favorite places to buy furniture and goods for your STRs?  From night stands to linens, we'd love any and all input!

    Thanks in advance!
    Natalie


    Hi Natalie! 
    I live in the Seacoast Area of NH and love the White Mountains. I also have done a lot of staging either at my client’s homes or my personal rental properties. I love your idea of a higher-end style for that area because you are absolutely correct that so many rentals follow that heavy wood, dark, bears and moose theme. It’s refreshing to have a touch of it, like a nice framed map of the white mountains or framed photos of the area, but to overall have a fresh and clean and crisp look is a very smart choice.  
    You got some great responses (frankly, I’m going to screenshot a few for ideas!) but I didn’t see anyone recommend Minoan.  They are Fantastic and have saved me a bunch of money.  They give you discounts on West Elm, Pottery Barn, etc and a membership is free if you have a business.  Here’s a link for you (affiliate link if you use we both get $25 off an order) https://minoanexperience.com/join-us?referral_code=I9089PGB5...

  • Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    This is fabulous, Martha! Thank you for the feedback and the tip! I am going to check that site out this afternoon.  I also appreciate your complements on our place.  I put a lot of thought and design into the pallet and design, wanting to cultivate a space that was the opposite of the 100 kitchy-moose and "ski chalets" that are in the area (no judgment -- just not for me!).   

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Natalie Medved:

    Hi everyone:

    My husband and I are in the process of furnishing our transforming our second home in the White Mountains (Thornton, NH) into a STR. The market has a lot of baseline - economically friendly STRS but only a few luxury STR's, most of which are dated and drab. Our goal is to me a more accessible luxury option for couples and families. I personally prefer staying in a nicer STR and appreciate nicer finishes, details, and a unified ascetic, and want to provide a similar experience to our future guests. I am a lover of interior design (think Amber Lewis and Architectural Digest) and could easily go overboard decorating and furnishing the place, which I'd like to avoid haha. I also recognize that AirBnB's can be used and abused, which makes sturdy and reliable furniture selection even more important. But where does one find ascetically pleasing furniture that is built to last without breaking the bank?

    What are your favorite places to buy furniture and goods for your STRs?  From night stands to linens, we'd love any and all input!

    Thanks in advance!
    Natalie



     I second Minoan! It's a fairly easy site to use and they have an extension on the retailer's site making shopping more convenient. They carry a ton of brands from high end DWR to Article to Wayfair offering discounts as mentioned. Nice job on the design so far. I would go dark on the outside like ink black, that will surely stand out, and make sure to incorporate some dark accent pieces inside too!

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You need to check out Minoan! It's a free group where you can get a ton of discounts from many different stores. If you're outfitting an entire home on average, they can save you $4-5k on good quality brands! 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    +1 for commercial grade from West Elm/Pottery Barn etc!

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    @Natalie Medved I love seeing well-booked and high-priced competition with bad decor, it's a good sign that with some thought you can clean up!

    I would replace the ceiling fan. It's not terrible, but a newer black ceiling fan will make the photos pop. Similar to the way a new roof helps an exterior.

    If you look at professional product photos for homewares, there is usually a single (or at most a small handful of) non-neutral color(s) that is repeated throughout various elements in the room (area rug, throw pillow, bed scarf, vase/sculpture, picture etc). Not only do the colors make the photo pop, the pattern has a naturally calming effect on the mind and implies that your place is orderly in addition to being stylish! Fake plants are great too and add freshness, nobody cares that they are fake. 

    Make sure your decor fits the theme of your area, or at the very least don't have anything that is in conflict. Don't have a photo of the Maldives if you are in the Northeast. Finding vintage items that relate to your area and old photographs can add a lot of character as well. 


     I was going to say the same thing on the ceiling fan. A sleek black fan. I’ve found nice looking, inexpensive ones that completely transform a space. 

  • NH · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalie Medved:

    This is fabulous, Martha! Thank you for the feedback and the tip! I am going to check that site out this afternoon.  I also appreciate your complements on our place.  I put a lot of thought and design into the pallet and design, wanting to cultivate a space that was the opposite of the 100 kitchy-moose and "ski chalets" that are in the area (no judgment -- just not for me!).   

    Oh you are so welcome, Natalie!  Good Luck with it!  Minoan is amazing and you can order from a bunch of different stores and they will pull it all together as one bill. 
    The nice thing about it is that YOU also get to enjoy the property as well! (And you can write off all the lovely furnishings! 😉) 
  • NH · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalie Medved:

    Awesome. Seems like we share the same taste.  Lots to do yet (re art and decor), but it's good to know that the neutral ascetic has been embraced. Quick Q:  Note the crappy old fan - would you spend the money to upgrade it? Seems like we should bite the bullet and replace it as the devil is in the details. Or is it something that guests won't appreciate or care about? 


    Absolutely replace the fan! There is a beautiful style fan that is black and has gorgeous wooden polished fins that would look stunning there!  Would look gorgeous with West Elm furniture! Let me try to find a picture …

    It would be your preference if you want one with or without a light.  And I would even move up to a larger and more expensive one … but this gives you the idea.  Also, if you are doing higher end then the details very, very, verrrryyyy much matter! (I’m an investor but also a Realtor in NH and have sold higher end. I can promise you the details is what will make a difference on your feedback!). One thing to keep in mind if you’re moving into the higher end clientele is they also have higher expectations.  I agree with others who have recommended higher end for the bigger pieces and you can get away with accessories from Amazon, Wayfair, Target, Garage Sales, etc.  However, the goal with the accessories is to select pieces that look higher end but aren’t. Be sure to swap out lighting … that is a huge mistake of many who forget that lighting, door hardware, bathroom fixtures also need to have that “next level” look.  Get onto West Elm, Pottery Barn, CB2, Ethan Allen and see how some of the homes are styled to get some inspiration. Additionally, from a staging standpoint, be Verrrrry selective in your decorative pieces. Less is more .. and, as you said earlier, nothing at all that’s kitschy. 
    Good Luck!! 😃
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.