Informal Poll for new STR investors

Informal Poll for new STR investors

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I don't know how to post a poll in this forum, so please just feel free to post your response.

WHAT ARE THE TOP TWO REASONS THAT YOU ARE INVESTING IN A STR AT THIS TIME?

- Current income

- Hope of price appreciation

- Vacation home to go to

- Future retirement home

- Store of value/hedge against inflation

- Generational gift to the family

- Alternative to traditional retirement investments

I'll go first.  I originally invested strictly as a vacation home, with home of price appreciation.   As time has gone on - 19 years - I've realized that this is also a great generational gift to my kids - both as vacation destination and a lifetime income for them.  

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
2y

We had a primary and secondary residence and a long term rental when we purchased a vacation property in Punta Cana in 2016 to also use as a vacation rental when we weren't there.  I was already on track to retire at 49 (2022) and decided to buy a vacation rental in my town in 2020 for something to do, extra income and appreciation but also as overflow for friends and family to visit.  I enjoyed it so much that I bought the property next door, too.  I am also in this for generational wealth.  I have two kids and hoping to leave one to each and hope they will enjoy them or use them as income themselves.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    I bought a lake house in 2010 to use as a 2nd home. I started using it as a STR 4 years or so ago. Bought a 2nd vacation rental (not an Airbnb) a few years back. This was not to allow me to quit my day job from the RE income as I had already done that. It was more to have another cool place to vacation and let it pay for itself and appreciate.

    I never plan on selling either property.

    If I see a great deal on a beach house that will be next.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Put reduce current year taxes as an option.

    Lots of people miss the forest for the trees and do it for that purpose.

    My answer for top 2is:

    Store of value
    Price appreciation

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    2y

    We had a primary and secondary residence and a long term rental when we purchased a vacation property in Punta Cana in 2016 to also use as a vacation rental when we weren't there.  I was already on track to retire at 49 (2022) and decided to buy a vacation rental in my town in 2020 for something to do, extra income and appreciation but also as overflow for friends and family to visit.  I enjoyed it so much that I bought the property next door, too.  I am also in this for generational wealth.  I have two kids and hoping to leave one to each and hope they will enjoy them or use them as income themselves.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    My 24 year old son was asking me how much to save for retirement. 

    I was thinking "Are you kidding?"  ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I've had an LTR for 13 years, and as I was planning for retirement, thought about getting into STRs. I bought an STR 2 years ago, for income and appreciation. I bought in a beach town that I am familiar with, although this house has not worked out as a vacation home yet.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    2y

    Generational wealth, retirement, and taxes 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I am not a new investor :) but as someone who is working with them on a daily basis I will rank in order the buyers I am noticing:

    1. Tax benefits

    2. Second Home that is self supporting

    3. Future Appreciation

    4. Future Cashflow (rate reduction)

  • Robb AlmyPro Member
    Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 65 votes
    2y

    My top reasons are:

    - Current income
    - Hope of price appreciation
    - Vacation home to go to
    - Store of value/hedge against inflation

    One other reason for me that I am not sure is captured in the original list is that STRs is what my market gave me. The price to income ratio on SFRs in my area did not make sense any longer so I transitioned to STRs. 

    Great question!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 15 votes
    2y

     income & appreciation. 

    We manage one property now.  

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Based on my clients

    1. Income - in a time where cashflow is hard to find, STR can provide that solution

    2. Tax Savings - the "Airbnb Loophole" 

  • Property Manager · Destin, FL · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    1. Alternate to traditional investments

    2. Current income

    3. Storage of Value

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    In the process of buying my first STR for income and price appreciation. But really, all of the above lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.