Pickleball Court or Pool

Pickleball Court or Pool

Member since 2021 路 17 posts 路 10 votes

Looking to add either a pickleball court or a swimming pool to a limited size backyard in a desert area like Las Vegas or Texas. 

Has anyone looked into the ROI comparisons for these amenities and decided one over the other? I'm leaning towards the pool since it has a broader appeal, but the pickleball court is such a trendy amenity these days.

1Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
2y

At a glance, a pool would serve more guests, especially in hot temperatures like the markets you mentioned. That said I would dig deeper and look at properties with each amenity- see how well each books out and their ADR. If there are tons of homes with pools and wide open calendars yet the few places with PB courts are booked out, there's your answer. 

Depends on guest avatar as well. PB Court will serve older generations, while a pool is better for families. 

In terms of maintenance cost and liability the PB Court is a no brainer. Biggest risk is the complaints from neighbors about the noise, although I've heard that there are new paddles that dampen the noise quite a bit? 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    At a glance, a pool would serve more guests, especially in hot temperatures like the markets you mentioned. That said I would dig deeper and look at properties with each amenity- see how well each books out and their ADR. If there are tons of homes with pools and wide open calendars yet the few places with PB courts are booked out, there's your answer. 

    Depends on guest avatar as well. PB Court will serve older generations, while a pool is better for families. 

    In terms of maintenance cost and liability the PB Court is a no brainer. Biggest risk is the complaints from neighbors about the noise, although I've heard that there are new paddles that dampen the noise quite a bit? 

  • Investor 路 West Palm Beach, FL 路 Member since 2024 路 90 posts 路 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sokun S.:

    Looking to add either a pickleball court or a swimming pool to a limited size backyard in a desert area like Las Vegas or Texas. 

    Has anyone looked into the ROI comparisons for these amenities and decided one over the other? I'm leaning towards the pool since it has a broader appeal, but the pickleball court is such a trendy amenity these days.


    Too bad you can't add both! If most of your competition has a pool, I'd go that route and try to add something indoors like a game room. The pickleball courts we have added to our clients homes have done really, really well - but I assume in this market a pool is almost a necessity. I'd consider lux pool furnishings like cabanas, hammocks, etc so set yourself apart. Pool deck murals, etc. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Denver, CO 路 Member since 2020 路 34 posts 路 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sokun S.:

    Looking to add either a pickleball court or a swimming pool to a limited size backyard in a desert area like Las Vegas or Texas. 

    Has anyone looked into the ROI comparisons for these amenities and decided one over the other? I'm leaning towards the pool since it has a broader appeal, but the pickleball court is such a trendy amenity these days.

    Maybe a PB court in the summer and a hot tub on the court in the winter?
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    2y

    Pool, for sure in those areas.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    2y

    Holy hell who would want to stand on a Pickle ball court in Las Vegas? Pool all the way if it's between those two. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    I just recently saw a similar post asking if installing PickleBall courts added to ROI. Not scientific at all, but the overwhelming amount of owners who added PickleBall courts said there was either none or very little increase on ROI for the PickleBall courts.

    I have STRs with pools, but not in your market.  In my market they do extremely well with and absolutely provide you with a higher ADR.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
    2y

    A swimming pool, all day long! a) everyone can use a pool, b) not everyone can or will use a pickleball court c) almost everyone who is a bit older who started playing pickleball ended up injuring themselves, d) a pool is a lot prettier and adds a lot of ambiance to a backyard.

  • Investor 路 West Palm Beach, FL 路 Member since 2024 路 90 posts 路 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    I just recently saw a similar post asking if installing PickleBall courts added to ROI. Not scientific at all, but the overwhelming amount of owners who added PickleBall courts said there was either none or very little increase on ROI for the PickleBall courts.

    I have STRs with pools, but not in your market.  In my market they do extremely well with and absolutely provide you with a higher ADR.


    Interesting! We have seen the opposite - is the rest of the home designed and furnished well? It's so hard to determine the ROI of amenities given there are so many factors.

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Manteca, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    Pickleball in Las Vegas..... sound miserable,,,, what time do you play at??? 5 to 5:30 AM or 1 AM ?? :) Cant image how small the window is to play an outdoor sport on a court in LV.... 

    Pool for sure... but probably way more $$ depending on what you area actually adding...above ground I assume...

  • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Annie Seurer:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    I just recently saw a similar post asking if installing PickleBall courts added to ROI. Not scientific at all, but the overwhelming amount of owners who added PickleBall courts said there was either none or very little increase on ROI for the PickleBall courts.

    I have STRs with pools, but not in your market.  In my market they do extremely well with and absolutely provide you with a higher ADR.


    Interesting! We have seen the opposite - is the rest of the home designed and furnished well? It's so hard to determine the ROI of amenities given there are so many factors.


    I really don't know. If I am not mistaken I saw it posted on Bill Faeth's Build STR Wealth facebook group about a week ago. So I really don't have details on it, other than when I saw the posts that there was not one person that said it showed a great increase in ADR.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor 路 Member since 2022 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    2y

    You want a swimming pool, with a connected hot tub that can convert into a cold plunge. That's all the craze the days in AZ and hot states. All the craze, best believe that. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    A swimming pool, all day long! a) everyone can use a pool, b) not everyone can or will use a pickleball court c) almost everyone who is a bit older who started playing pickleball ended up injuring themselves, d) a pool is a lot prettier and adds a lot of ambiance to a backyard.


     Plus pickle ballers are just damned annoying 馃槄

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    Pickleball in Las Vegas..... sound miserable,,,, what time do you play at??? 5 to 5:30 AM or 1 AM ?? :) Cant image how small the window is to play an outdoor sport on a court in LV.... 

    Pool for sure... but probably way more $$ depending on what you area actually adding...above ground I assume...


     IMHO, an above ground pool does not have the appeal, nor does it have the looks and ambiance. Just my opinion again, but to me they look like you're in a trailer park. And my apologies to you trailer park folks, but you know what I mean 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
    2y

    Here's my pool!

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Manteca, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Bruce Woodruff....oh I agree... no doubt. But adding a reasonable in ground pool is gonna be 40K + at minimum and likely a LOT MORE. I cant see wanting to add a pool based solely on STR profit. It may add to the property value and future resale value but from what Ive read, overall pool cost doesn't recoup on resale....

    So whats does a pickle ball court cost to put in vs a pool? HUGE difference...... and how much more $$ will each generate to offset that cost?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    @Bruce Woodruff....oh I agree... no doubt. But adding a reasonable in ground pool is gonna be 40K + at minimum and likely a LOT MORE. I cant see wanting to add a pool based solely on STR profit. It may add to the property value and future resale value but from what Ive read, overall pool cost doesn't recoup on resale....

    So whats does a pickle ball court cost to put in vs a pool? HUGE difference...... and how much more $$ will each generate to offset that cost?


    Can cost about the same. $25k - $50k

    https://sportsvenuecalculator.com/knowledge/pickleball-court...

  • Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ned J.:

    @Bruce Woodruff....oh I agree... no doubt. But adding a reasonable in ground pool is gonna be 40K + at minimum and likely a LOT MORE. I cant see wanting to add a pool based solely on STR profit. It may add to the property value and future resale value but from what Ive read, overall pool cost doesn't recoup on resale....

    So whats does a pickle ball court cost to put in vs a pool? HUGE difference...... and how much more $$ will each generate to offset that cost?


    Pools generally don't raise property values but in general they do significantly increase STR revenue.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Arlington VA 路 Member since 2019 路 6 posts 路 3 votes
    2y

    The pickleball court would be the lowest cost but on a hot day people want a nice pool. But just remove the maintenance factor is no joke.

  • Investor 路 Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 754 votes
    2y

    In a market like Texas I would go pool. A pool appeals to more people I feel like 

  • Property Manager 路 Tampa Bay Area 路 Member since 2023 路 34 posts 路 20 votes
    2y

    I would say pool all day to cater to families with children. The upkeep of the maintenance expense will obviously be higher with a pool, but I see it being worth it! 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 OH 路 Member since 2023 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    What is most popular in your market? Once that question is answered it helps to narrow down amenities. If you have enough room, it's always great to have one extra amenity that not many other properties offer. So, depending on your budget, space and how close you are to neighbors and their level of patience with the noise, maybe you could do both. Robuilt did a case study on his pickleball court ROI, I believe he has a video on his Youtube channel about it.

  • Lender 路 Grand Rapids, MI 路 Member since 2024 路 5 posts 路 1 vote
    2y

    A pool comes with a good amount of costs as well as a high up front cost. The pickleball court if done well doesn't need to cost a fortune and can be multipurpose and serve as basketball or other types of courts. The lure of pickleball is pretty big with all age groups and the property will also be more sharable. 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Chalfont, PA 路 Member since 2021 路 189 posts 路 90 votes
    2y

    I am thinking of adding a pickle ball court to our beach rental property with the hope of increasing off season rentals. If we do, I'll let you know the cost and if we see increased bookings in the off season

  • Real Estate Agent 路 The Palm Beaches 路 Member since 2024 路 10 posts 路 9 votes
    2y

    Pool but make the backyard Instagrambale with over the top landscaping. And Name the property with a custom website like LasVegasFarmhouse.com or something - When people start to tag your property's backyard on IG, because it has it's own page that you put up a flyer in the unit to notify them. this is free marketing and word of mouth that will drive in new revenue. 

    Marketing is key when it comes to AirBNB

    Hope that helps!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL 路 Member since 2022 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    2y

    Im not an expert in TX or LV but I am in a hot weather climate FL and I would 100% say pool will appeal to more people and your ROI will be better on the expenditure.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.