lower cost alternatives to Quartz / Granite countertops in an STR

lower cost alternatives to Quartz / Granite countertops in an STR

Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes

I'm trying to do some renovations on a property to get it ready for an STR. I'd rather not spend the $$ for the granite or quartz kitchen countertops. Is there an lower cost alternative to granite / quartz kitchen countertops that is still suitable for an STR?

1Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

Hey @Marc Shin, so granite has been really undergone commoditization in the last 10 years or so. They aren't that expensive depending on the style and design of the kitchen.

So locally here in Western WA there are always companies closing out slabs of granite or quartz really cheap. Like a 52"x96" quartz slab for $200. It will require fabrication but you can negotiate that as well.

There are a couple of shops that sell standard round over edge granite slabs, 25"x96" prefab, tier 1 for $98 each. If you have a galley kitchen, you just need to cut for the sink etc so you could get a basic granite countertop kitchen for under a grand.

You can't be picky and you have to search around, but it isn't that hard to do.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    I'd spend the money on quartz.

    You want to have a nice place so don't be afraid to spend where needed.

    I've heard horror stories of people putting in butcher block and people using it as a cutting board.

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I'll probably get pushback on this... but here's my experience. I have 4 units, 2 have formica and 2 have quartz. There has been no noticeable difference between all 4, same income, same 5-star reviews. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    I'm trying to do some renovations on a property to get it ready for an STR. I'd rather not spend the $$ for the granite or quartz kitchen countertops. Is there an lower cost alternative to granite / quartz kitchen countertops that is still suitable for an STR?


     I typically like to use a solid surface over formica more for maintenance and longevity. I think it also depends on the class of apartment you have as well and who is your target tenant. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y

    @Chris Seveney when you say solid surface you're referring to Quartz / Granite?

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    You should look at what the other rentals in your area are doing. Laminate countertops can hold up pretty well and if damaged, will need to come out of the security deposit - lower cost product, so a larger percent of it gets paid for if damaged. 
    Quartz would be my choice for hard surface. I have used Silestone in the past. If you want something hard, look into that.
    You could also use tile - though not my personal aesthetic choice.
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    You're not spending the money, you're making an investment.  I never lost on a philosophy of quality.
    My 2 cents,
    Mike

  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
    1y

    A solid surface is a cheaper alternative, but I think a countertop is one that you should probably just spend the money on. You can find ways to save in places that people won't utilize as much

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Marc Shin, so granite has been really undergone commoditization in the last 10 years or so. They aren't that expensive depending on the style and design of the kitchen.

    So locally here in Western WA there are always companies closing out slabs of granite or quartz really cheap. Like a 52"x96" quartz slab for $200. It will require fabrication but you can negotiate that as well.

    There are a couple of shops that sell standard round over edge granite slabs, 25"x96" prefab, tier 1 for $98 each. If you have a galley kitchen, you just need to cut for the sink etc so you could get a basic granite countertop kitchen for under a grand.

    You can't be picky and you have to search around, but it isn't that hard to do.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    I'm trying to do some renovations on a property to get it ready for an STR. I'd rather not spend the $$ for the granite or quartz kitchen countertops. Is there an lower cost alternative to granite / quartz kitchen countertops that is still suitable for an STR?


     If this is a $200 per night deal, get solid counters.  If it's below that, Lowe's and HD have some pretty amazing looking laminate counters that do a really good job mimicking solid.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 397 votes
    1y

    Doesn't look to me like anyone in my area is getting a higher rent or reviews because they have quartz over formica. Mine have formica, but if I needed to make a change I would probably do quartz to increase resale value if I ever decided to sell. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I second what @Michael Baum says, granite is pretty cheap now, prices have come way down.

      I had to replace the old laminate counter top in my LTR because the previous tenants had a coffee maker that leaked right where the diagonal seam was, and the water buckled the laminate over time.

    I had to put in a new laminate counter top because of time constraints. My new tenant was moving in soon, and I didn't have weeks for the granite crew to come and make a template, go back to the shop and cut the granite, etc.  I needed it done fast.  I was shocked that the new laminate counter top cost almost as much as granite would have. 

    I have granite in my own house, and after 15 years, it still looks like new. I had a neighbor who was extremely messy, and she couldn't ruin her granite either. I've seen complaints from other STR owners with photos of laminate counters with burn rings from hot pots, which won't happen with granite. Quartz can also be damaged by hot pots, because of the resin binder.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I've heard horror stories of people putting in butcher block and people using it as a cutting board.


    Isn't that kinda the point? I know someone who had trouble remembering to use a cutting board as an adult because they grew up with butcher block. 

    Which to me sounds like leaving the house and forgetting to put your shoes on . . . . 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Gregory Schwartz:

    I'll probably get pushback on this... but here's my experience. I have 4 units, 2 have formica and 2 have quartz. There has been no noticeable difference between all 4, same income, same 5-star reviews. 


    No pushback at all . . . I've listened to some analysts break down the top amenities and kitchens rank near the bottom. Bedrooms and shared/fun amenities are much bigger drivers. 

    What I want are countertops that have a subtle slope built in 3-4" around the sink edge so that water drains naturally. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Marc Shin we use both granite/quartz and laminate in rentals depending on the size and rental quality. We manage in the Chicago suburbs and do a lot of work force housing. We also have our own crew, so we do a lot of laminate. For clients who look at doing laminate, it almost never makes sense since the labor costs they are quoted to install end up eating up the savings. 

    For an STR situation, I would only do a trendy quartz at this point. Quartz is virtually indestructible, and you will get that "it" factor in an STR that you need. The difference in cost shouldn't be as much as you are thinking.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    It's more about the look than the material. Laminate is a lot tougher than people think. So don't let your contractor pick "whatever" color. Design matters! Also for LTR!

    Our default is to spend money on quality materials. I have 15 years of rental and rehab history and I regretted most cheap materials. Countertops are the exception. We buy stock material and cut it to size on the job. It's unbelievably cheap. 

    If you order laminate it is almost as much as entry level stone, at that point I'd go with stone. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I think it depends on the price range/caliber of your listing as well as the competitiveness of the market you are in.  If its a cheaper unit in a market that is not overly competitiveness I would mimic what @Collin Hays said.  If it is higher end and/or hyper competitiveness I do not like cutting corners currently.

    There are some good look alike that will appear as stone counters in photos and not be in person.  I think for short stays most wont notice and those that do will not care much.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Hi @Marc Shin - In the past, I used a 3/4" marble for a condo MTR....it actually turned out very nicely.  You see this often in Chicago high rises where they use a less thick countertop.

    At the end of the day, you aren't saving a ridiculous amount of money, so like anything it helps when you are doing it at scale.

    What is your future vision for your Short Term rental business?

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver/Castle Pines/Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2021 · 248 posts · 136 votes
    1y

    Tons of great info in this thread! thanks everyone. Need to update my counters..lol

    A good strategy that may save you some money, is to check a local recycle store. Here in Colorado Springs and Denver they are called "habitat for humanity" and they get huge slabs from folks renovating. If you can target one in a higher end area, you could find really nice slabs (probably have to cut them of course) that don't look bad. The people that donated generally just bought the houses and wanted something different or more high end. 

    Keep us updated, would love to update mine for cheap. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    There are a couple of shops that sell standard round over edge granite slabs, 25"x96" prefab, tier 1 for $98 each.

    This^^^ Every major market now should have a couple of these places around. It makes zero sense to not use Quartz/Granite when you can get it that cheaply. I used companies that would deliver and install, cut sink and faucet  holes for a few hundred bucks. And they even make prefab Island slabs nowadays standard sized like 5 ft x 3 ft, but still cheap....

  • Member since 2024 · 48 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    We recently got high res laminate for a flip and a STR. I like how the wood look turned out and it is very pretty in person. I would never want the maintenance of butcher block but the wood went best with what we were doing. Now that I know that Quartz/Granite is more affordable I will check into it for our next reno coming up, but laminate has been really durable for us in our last 2 personal homes as well. There are so many different options for colors and looks which I like. I have literally never paid attention to the countertops in any STR I have stayed in, if that means anything! :)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Karina Busch:

    Now that I know that Quartz/Granite is more affordable I will check into it for our next reno coming up, but laminate has been really durable for us in our last 2 personal homes as well.

    Also, you can set hot stuff on granite (at least briefly) whereas with a basic laminate you will leave marks...

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    We have a realtor friend that is a huge fan of Dolomite. It's considered a cousin to marble and even contains some but it's stronger than marble. And apparently doesn't etch or stain as easily and is heat resistant. Not sure on the price point though, but she mentioned it's less expensive than quartzite. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.