Owner Controlled thermostat: Another penny wise, pound foolish decision

Owner Controlled thermostat: Another penny wise, pound foolish decision

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

We have an owner who, against our advice, recently installed a thermostat that only they can adjust, and from three states away.  The temperature is set on 75. And heat and cool can only be turned on by them, with their phone.  We just refunded an entire stay over this issue - the guests were uncomfortable and refused to stay past one night.  

So the amount of the refund will be equal to probably three or four years' worth of "savings" that might have been achieved with an owner-controlled thermostat.  

If you have a property manager, do what the PM recommends. 

2Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Collin Hays:

I love micro-managers who step over dollars to pick up dimes!

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 173 votes
    1y

    Wow!  That is a failure on the owner's part, for sure.  We have these remote thermostats and they are GREAT !  We started seeing savings immediately after the installation.  We can remotely control the temperature, but if someone (a guest) manually changes the thermostat, it overrides our remote settings, which is what we want.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I love micro-managers who step over dollars to pick up dimes!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James R.:

    Wow!  That is a failure on the owner's part, for sure.  We have these remote thermostats and they are GREAT !  We started seeing savings immediately after the installation.  We can remotely control the temperature, but if someone (a guest) manually changes the thermostat, it overrides our remote settings, which is what we want.  


     I do the same. I save money when no one is there, but the guest can control them. 

    I usually adjust temperature right before a check in to make it comfortable for guest.

    Love the Honeywell 9000 color touchscreen thermostats.

    They also allow me to locking a temperature range so the guests can't set temperature to 60 in the summer.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays the worst part is you can't change their minds:(

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Definitely an owner mindset problem, not a technology issue.  Luckily I have shed most of my clients like this.

  • Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    1y

    Being able to adjust the termostats remotely is fantastic.  Controlling what the guests do - not so much.  We don't do that.  Let them be comfortable with their own settings.  Monitor and change when the house is vacant is the blessing.

  • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    As an owner, I like the Ecobee remote thermostat for monitoring the settings, but I would never override it when a guest is there.  I do find it interesting what temperature they choose to set it at.  90% of the guests are quite reasonable.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Tim Welker:

     90% of the guests are quite reasonable.


    This is an important consideration in most LL decisions, LTR or STR. I see a lot of posts for furnished monthly stays where owners are fretting over utilities and how to ensure a tenant doesn't abuse their being provided. Can it be an issue, sure. But my experience is like yours 90% of guests are reasonable, and the other 10% cost me an extra $100-200 for the month stay. Over a year $200 on a $35-40K gross is nothing, yet over and over LLs want to "set a cap" vs screening for good guests/tenants instead.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    I agree with everyone. We have an Emerson Sensi that is very easy for the guest to adjust but I can see it and make adjustments as necessary.

    For the most part, guests are pretty respectful of the temps. If I see a guest drop the A/C down to 60 degrees, I do bring it back up. Especially if I see the humidity in the house go above 70% as that usually means they have windows open. I don't want to pay to try and cool all of North Idaho.

  • Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    We have remote controlled thermostats. But they only set the temperature when the property is vacant

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.