STR soap and toilet paper

Most Popular Reply

Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
1y

maybe just me, dont go cheap on TP. you can buy inexpensive, but make sure it doesnt feel cheap. its worth an extra couple of dollars so guests dont remember that everything felt cheap

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Costco all the way.

    Mike

  • Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    Good question! We buy basic soap, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner in bulk quantity on Amazon and load it in a refillable dispenser. We get Costco toilet paper, either Kirkland or Charmin depending on price/sales.

    My cleaner is very experienced and made the point that most people who are particular about shampoo, conditioner, etc., will bring their own anyway. Everyone else is typically just happy to have something there for them.

    I'm sure others have differing opinions but this has worked great for me.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
    1y

    maybe just me, dont go cheap on TP. you can buy inexpensive, but make sure it doesnt feel cheap. its worth an extra couple of dollars so guests dont remember that everything felt cheap

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y

    Whatever toilet paper you use make sure it breaks down fast and easy in the toilet. You might be shocked by the amount of toilet paper some people use for their "functions" and some of the fancier stuff does not disintegrate as easily.

    Personally, I cannot remember a single place I've ever stayed in my life - STR, hotel, whatever - that I can remember liking or disliking the toilet paper. As long as it cleans my bum I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about it, and I suspect most of your guests won't either.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    We use Scott's TP. We buy in bulk at Sam's.

    We get a large pump body wash from Walmart.

    He get decorative hand soap dispensers and buy large jugs to refill all these.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Agreed with Costco. Name brand is overrated, I get almost all of my consumables from Costco. 

    Exception would be body soap, I order 15 packs of Greenwich Bay on Amazon because they come in 1.9 oz bars, smell nice and have a high end look in package. The typical bars of soap are too big for 2-3 night stays, but 1 oz and smaller tends to only last a day. The 1.9 oz bars are the goldilocks for your typical stay 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
    1y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    Whatever toilet paper you use make sure it breaks down fast and easy in the toilet. You might be shocked by the amount of toilet paper some people use for their "functions" and some of the fancier stuff does not disintegrate as easily.

    Personally, I cannot remember a single place I've ever stayed in my life - STR, hotel, whatever - that I can remember liking or disliking the toilet paper. As long as it cleans my bum I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about it, and I suspect most of your guests won't either.


     I disagree. Especially if im paying a decent amount, i remember if they went cheap on the TP. maybe its just me.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Marc Shin, so we buy Costco TP and paper towels and never had a problem. I feel that the Costco TP is about as good as it gets for the cashola. No issues with it breaking down. We have lift pump systems in our lake house and zero issues.

    I would look on Amazon for soaps and shampoo's. We get various brands when they are on sale. 1oz soaps and shampoos and put out 2 of each in each bathroom. They get used most of the time but sometimes only one as people bring their own.

    I don't use the dispensers. I have found that in many STRs we have stayed at, they aren't cleaned well and look scummy or even mildewed. 

  • Lender · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 26 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello. For STR's, is it necessary to get brand name hand soap, shampoos, and toilet paper? Or can I get the Costco brand items??


     Costco makes great-quality stuff, I try to avoid the huge bottles to seem a little fancier but no need to overspend.  

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    Whatever toilet paper you use make sure it breaks down fast and easy in the toilet. You might be shocked by the amount of toilet paper some people use for their "functions" and some of the fancier stuff does not disintegrate as easily.

    Personally, I cannot remember a single place I've ever stayed in my life - STR, hotel, whatever - that I can remember liking or disliking the toilet paper. As long as it cleans my bum I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about it, and I suspect most of your guests won't either.


     I disagree. Especially if im paying a decent amount, i remember if they went cheap on the TP. maybe its just me.

    It's just you. But you can run your own tests on this. Put in expensive toilet paper and see if you get comments on how nice and cushiony it is. Or put in cheaper paper and see if you get comments on how it feels like sandpaper. Since you're new to real estate (according to the title), you really don't have anything to base it on other than your own personal experiences staying elsewhere. It's entirely possible you have a super sensitive derriere that needs pampering. Most people are just happy if their hand doesn't break through the sheet. Hell, you could go all out and just install a bidet and forego the toilet paper altogether. 

    I think you'll find no one is going to care so long as it's not sandpaper or thin enough to read through. 
    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Mackay OakeyPro Member
    Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2021 · 55 posts · 38 votes
    1y

    I would definitely say Costco soap and Costco toilet paper, but it probably depends on the type of unit.

    Is it a luxury unit? Probably go with some nicer-smelling soaps (but even then Costco TP should be good).

    If it's a cheaper STR, definitely the cheaper options.

    BiggerPockets
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    I think you'll find no one is going to care so long as it's not sandpaper or thin enough to read through. 

    There is a different but IMO Costco is plenty good, I use it in my personal residence as well. 

    Plus the way these larger parties go through TP . . . . Yeah, not trying to splurge there 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    I think you'll find no one is going to care so long as it's not sandpaper or thin enough to read through. 

    There is a different but IMO Costco is plenty good, I use it in my personal residence as well. 

    Plus the way these larger parties go through TP . . . . Yeah, not trying to splurge there 


     thats what im saying. you dont have to buy $5 a roll TP, but if you use super cheap in there, the place starts to feel cheap

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Costco and Dollar General, all the way.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 409 posts · 408 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello. For STR's, is it necessary to get brand name hand soap, shampoos, and toilet paper? Or can I get the Costco brand items??

    We supply the same that we use at home. Costco!
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    One of the few times when I feel I have to disagree with @JD Martin.

    Older, heavier people with incontinence issues like elongated toilet bowls and good toilet paper. I suspect that I get substantially more multigeneration reunion-type bookings than most people in my Airbnb. This WAS commented on (thankfully privately) when I stocked Aldi toilet paper. I now stock Charmin UltraStrong.

    Nothing wrong with bulk toilet paper per se. But single economy rolls from Aldi didn't cut it for us that one time.

  • Member since 2024 · 107 posts · 55 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Maybe we just have more sensitive derrières, but I'm with you. Cheap toilet paper makes a place seem cheap.  
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hey Marc - Costco brand items are absolutely fine for STRs! They're often high quality and cost-effective. Guests usually appreciate cleanliness and convenience more than brand names.

    Happy to connect and share more tips!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello. For STR's, is it necessary to get brand name hand soap, shampoos, and toilet paper? Or can I get the Costco brand items??


     I don't care much about soap and shampoo, but quality TP is something they will definitely notice.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello. For STR's, is it necessary to get brand name hand soap, shampoos, and toilet paper? Or can I get the Costco brand items??


     Costco all day! For Soaps + shampoos.. I prefer to buy the cheap refillable containers and then I buy jugs of soap on amazon. cleaners refill them. Most cost effective option I have found.

    Guest breaks a refillable container, no problem , $5 or less to repair. I personally despise those wall hung soap dispensers. Have seen so many of them break over the years. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    If I had just one property I would do Sams/Costco/Amazon etc.  I would test all of the items.  Sometimes pennies more goes a long way, sometimes more expensive does not equal better quality.  I would not to brand names, not necessary especially if you use refillable dispensers in showers and at sinks.

    We have more properties so we order by the pallet from hotel distributors.  Most will also sell to public if you have the storage space and want to save money in the long run.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I've been working on an invention over the winter - an all-in-one toilet paper and toothbrush. Takes care of both ends.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I've been working on an invention over the winter - an all-in-one toilet paper and toothbrush. Takes care of both ends.

     I want 5% if you use "The Two-Holey Wonder®" as the name.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    Whatever toilet paper you use make sure it breaks down fast and easy in the toilet. You might be shocked by the amount of toilet paper some people use for their "functions" and some of the fancier stuff does not disintegrate as easily.

    Personally, I cannot remember a single place I've ever stayed in my life - STR, hotel, whatever - that I can remember liking or disliking the toilet paper. As long as it cleans my bum I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about it, and I suspect most of your guests won't either.


     I disagree. Especially if im paying a decent amount, i remember if they went cheap on the TP. maybe its just me.

    It's just you. But you can run your own tests on this. Put in expensive toilet paper and see if you get comments on how nice and cushiony it is. Or put in cheaper paper and see if you get comments on how it feels like sandpaper. Since you're new to real estate (according to the title), you really don't have anything to base it on other than your own personal experiences staying elsewhere. It's entirely possible you have a super sensitive derriere that needs pampering. Most people are just happy if their hand doesn't break through the sheet. Hell, you could go all out and just install a bidet and forego the toilet paper altogether. 

    I think you'll find no one is going to care so long as it's not sandpaper or thin enough to read through. 
    This is probably the most comical post I have yet to come across! :D
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello. For STR's, is it necessary to get brand name hand soap, shampoos, and toilet paper? Or can I get the Costco brand items??


     I don't care much about soap and shampoo, but quality TP is something they will definitely notice.


     Bwahaha I think the shampoo comment goes without saying 🤪

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.