Boardgames and other low cost amenities in STR

Boardgames and other low cost amenities in STR

Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes

Hello - is it worth spending money on boardgames within an STR? Also, what are some other low cost amenities that I can add to my STR that will yield a higher ROI?

1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

Yes but I will add a caveat - you have to keep up with them.  If you put games out and they are all missing pieces and useless it will create situations for bad reviews and possible forced refunds on Airbnb.  Try to pick things where replacement pieces are possible and easy.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    @Marc Shin

    Absolutely.

    Board games are not that expensive and are worth adding.

    I see cable TV channels as a must along with smart TVs.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Yes but I will add a caveat - you have to keep up with them.  If you put games out and they are all missing pieces and useless it will create situations for bad reviews and possible forced refunds on Airbnb.  Try to pick things where replacement pieces are possible and easy.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    For 10 years, every arriving party in my STR finds 1) a fresh bowl of fruit, 2) a local city magazine and a weekly periodical and 3) 2 bottles of wine (1 white, 1 red, 1st bottle is complimentary, envelope to pay for 2nd bottle).

    No great expense, but "wows" the guests every time.  And all together, it's a touch that other Hosts do not do (the Guest tell me that...)
    My 2 cents
    Mike

  • Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    There are a wide variety of amenities that will enhance the guest experience.

    Some lower cost ideas for 'fun amenities' could be...

    -interesting coffee table books

    -deck of cards

    -yoga mat

    -dumbbells

    -frisbee

    -Puzzles

    You can keep adding as finances allow.

    My opinion is you can never add too many amenities whether it's for the kitchen, patios, bedrooms etc. It doesn't have to be expensive either.

    Eventually there will be something a little extra special for all guests to enjoy. Their level of appreciation will come across in the reviews which should help to increase bookings. ;-)

  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y

    @Mike Grudzien how much should i be spending for a bottle of wine?

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    @Mike Grudzien how much should i be spending for a bottle of wine?


     You can usually get Boone's Farm for under $15.  

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    @Mike Grudzien how much should i be spending for a bottle of wine?


     You can usually get Boone's Farm for under $15.  


     I think Collin is being a little tongue in cheek with the Boone's Farm comment.

    I work with a local, large wine store, wait for their semi-annual sales when they compound discounts and buy 2 cases of each (white & red) for the largest discount.
    Basically I'm setting out wine that retails for $11-12-13 that I have paid $7-8 a bottle.  The "second bottle envelope" is marked "$10"

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Marc Shin, so yes on the games. Just go on Craigslist, OfferUP and FB marketplace. People are unloading games all the time. Often for free.

    We don't put out wine. I personally feel that it is a liability people could use as an excuse for an accident they have if they are drunk. Many folks don't drink and might be annoyed, in recovery etc.

    We do put out a nice welcome basket with some drinks and snacks.

    I hit up a local wine distributor and pickup wine boxes (wooden ones) they give away to anyone who wants them. They usually have hundreds of them stacked. I just head up and tell the dock guys and I leave with 10 or so.

    Sometimes guests take them with them as they are pretty cool and I just have more sitting to put out.

  • Member since 2024 · 107 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    @Mike Grudzien Do you need a liquor license to do that? I recently talked to someone locally to me (Ohio) who got in trouble with the LCB for giving away a bottle of wine with his luxury rental as even that was considered selling it.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I have no idea.
    Never even thought of it.
    I'll check it out in Oregon.

  • Property Manager · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    Bicycles are popular in our market! You can get a decent cruiser bike at Walmart for $150. It's a fun and unique way to see the area! This is an amenity that drives bookings for us. 

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Adding board games can be a great touch for an STR, especially family-friendly or group-focused properties! Low-cost amenities like a coffee bar with local brews or smart home features (e.g., a keyless entry or a streaming device) can also boost your ROI by enhancing guest experience.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • John LitzPro Member
    Reno NV · Member since 2022 · 74 posts · 56 votes
    1y

    You will want keyless keypad entry for sure. Smart TV does not need Chanel’s just access to whatever the guest currently streams. It’s even better with guest mode turned on so they can enter a date to auto log them out. Games are a must, less pieces the better. Cooking is huge so well stocked kitchen plus bbq. Fire pit with string lights is very popular. The biggest pain in the butt is also the best for increasing bookings and that is the hot tub. Not for every property but it does make a huge difference. 

  • Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    Ours is in a rural area.  There is no high speed internet available yet and we haven't sprung for Starlink.  We absolutely have some "low tech" entertainmnet.

    - Interior TV antenna mounted:  pulls in a bunch of channels as we're on a mountain.

    - Board games:  We have a Kallax unit.  About two cubes are full of games.  Some "euro" games and some traditional ones.  We also have some RPG books (Basic Fantasy RPG is super cheap) and dice that have been used by guests.

    - Books:  We have a mix of books including some local area/regional stuff, some fiction, and kids books.

    - Kids Toys:  We advertise to families and have another 2xKallax cubes full of toys that won't break and are tolerant of missing pieces, but are easy enough to cleanup:  lincoln logs, blocks, hard animals, stuff like that.    Nothing tiny (no legos!).

    - Art/Decor:  We have sourced local art from farmer's markets and the like.  Its tasteful but makes things a little cozier.

    We are not a luxury property, and that's ok. We are literally next to a golf course and about 10 mins from a ski place and I don't think fancier amenities would generate a ton of ROI. Our guests are out golfing, hiking, skiing, etc and seem to want a conveniently located place with a full kitchen and bath when they get back -- and that's who we market to.

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Yes but I will add a caveat - you have to keep up with them.  If you put games out and they are all missing pieces and useless it will create situations for bad reviews and possible forced refunds on Airbnb.  Try to pick things where replacement pieces are possible and easy.


     i ill add that I put in some games we really like as a family, they went missing over a couple of months. My cleaners dont always check the games, so no idea who took them. I know have classics people would have at home. But being a beach property, it is good to have something there for the days it might rain

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Hello - is it worth spending money on boardgames within an STR? Also, what are some other low cost amenities that I can add to my STR that will yield a higher ROI?


    Hi Marc! Board games can be worth it, but I'd keep it minimal - maybe 2-3 family-friendly classics. They're not huge revenue drivers but guests appreciate them during rainy days or quiet evenings. Just make sure all pieces are accounted for regularly. As for other amenities, some crowd-pleasers that won't break the bank are coffee maker + starter pack of pods, basic workout equipment (yoga mat, resistance bands), phone charging stations by the beds, and basic kitchen essentials like olive oil, salt/pepper, coffee filters, etc. Happy to connect and answer any other questions you may have.

  • Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:

    Agreed -- I didn't mention this above....  We actually keep a pantry pretty well stocked with basics:  tea, coffee, cleaning supplies & laundry stuff, cup of noodles, ramen, soup, oatmeal packets, microwave popcorn, spices, bottled water, lemonade mix/crystal light, etc.  

    There's bulk packs in our owner's closet that the cleaners can use to refresh supplies with or we just do a walmart.com order to resupply.

    We have gotten a number of positive comments in reviews on the pantry staples.  Our mental model is to have enough that someone arriving late could put together a bare bones meal for dinner and have the essentials for breakfast before they head out to get actual groceries.  We've had guests do exactly that.

    We do not advertise any of these supplies until our check-in instructions welcome them to use the pantry, and let this be a pleasant surprise to people when they arrive.

    In theory a guest could clear us out but nobody ever has.  And its not like any of that stuff is super expensive if they did.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hey Marc - Adding board games to your STR can definitely be worth it! They're affordable and a hit with families and groups, especially for evenings or bad weather. Games like Uno, Jenga, or Monopoly are easy crowd-pleasers. Other low-cost amenities that can boost ROI include a coffee and tea station with basic supplies, a welcome basket with snacks and water, or small outdoor games like cornhole. Offering a smart TV with streaming services, USB chargers by the beds, and premium bathroom toiletries are also great touches that guests love. Even simple extras like local guidebooks or maps can make a big difference. Little things like these can help you stand out and bring in better reviews!

    I'd be happy to connect to share more ideas! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Long Island · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 38 votes
    1y

    Hi Marc, I think everybody offered some great feedback. I will sure take some of the advice offered here. At our STR, we do have a fully equipped kitchen with coffee pods. I have gotten inquiries about a slow cooker or an air fryer even. I think the expectation at Airbnb has definitely been elevated to a whole new level. It is not just leaving your house with somebody. It is about creating an experience and really focusing on easily accessibility with convenience. I have added Board Games to my Airbnb. I have not received any feedback regarding that, but I like to imagine it does provide a new level of coziness upon their stay. I will definitely look to add more when I visit next. I'm not a fan of leaving any alcohol at the Airbnb. I think you can definitely run into a potential guest using that against you in the near future and opening the door for liability. We live in a litigious society and people are sadly looking for ways to either get something for free or more. You need to be weary of that and reduce liability as much as possible. I will mention that a hot tub could really increase the frequency of bookings. Make sure to include proper disclaimers. I even have my renters sign a liability waiver upon arrival, which I never had one person refuse to sign one yet. People really value a spa type of treatment and depending on where you are, it could make a real difference. We are in the woods where we really wanted to create another sort of living space outside of the square footage of the home. This wasn't mentioned, but I think focusing on what you can provide outside of the home might make your property stand out more too. This summer I want to add a couple of outdoor games. Finally, I would add allowing pets to your home. Not an amenity, but it will and does increase the frequency of bookings. No damage from any pets yet and you may even charge a pet fee as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.