need recommendations for curtain colors and rug colors

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 543 posts · 716 votes
1y
Quote from @Marc Shin:

Would like recommendations for curtain colors and rug colors for this living room. Thanks! 


Just go on fiverr and hire an interior designer in Romania for $10

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530-short-term-and-vaca...

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Personally I would defer this question to someone with design experience, not sure I have seen too many on here commenting.

    You could do something neutral but remember especially with the rug if it is light color it will likely run quickly.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    I am not good with picking this stuff either. 

    I would look at other people's STR photos for ideas or consult a designer.

    We bought stuff from Lazyboy and they had a designer on staff to help us pick out stuff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 543 posts · 716 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Would like recommendations for curtain colors and rug colors for this living room. Thanks! 


    Just go on fiverr and hire an interior designer in Romania for $10

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530-short-term-and-vaca...

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Marc Shin, ok so no curtains IMHO. Maybe do a valance along the top. The room needs a bit color on the walls with art. The couch looks fun with a pop of orange so you need to compliment it.

    Costco is my goto for rugs. They have a good selection of quality rugs for reasonable prices.

    Curtains collect too much dust and you already have blinds. Some simple valences along the top will finish out those windows nicely.

    Post a few more photos of the different rooms so we can see the general feel of the place. Makes it easier to come up with ideas.

  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y
  • Member since 2024 · 179 posts · 76 votes
    1y
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Agreeable grey with apartment tan carpet (or pet resistant tan carpet).

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Definitely do blackout curtains in the bedrooms. Not sure which color though 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Marc Shin, you definitely need more art on the walls and color.

    The bedroom especially and I am guessing why you have the blue outlines showing where you will put some more art.

    More pops of color. The whole place looks nice but bland.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y

    I stay away from curtains as they can get dirty easily but I update the shades themselves to something nicer (plantation or shutter like shades or good quality roll down shades - black out in the bedroom). I keep window treatments white but I like everything light and bright. 

    I would coordinate the color palette throughout...it seems like you have neutrals with pops of color.  I would keep the carpet neutral but something easily washable cleanable.

    As others have said, I'd add other decorative objects like artwork.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    Something light and neutral.  Go to a thrift store and see what they have.

  • Member since 2024 · 107 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    There are a lot of good resources out there if you want to DIY the decor. My personal favorite that I've used is Designer in a Binder. There's also a FB group just for STR design.

    My 2 cents FWIS: You have three colors going right now and should stick with a 60-30-10 rule. You decide which of the orange, white and sage you want to be 60% of your decor and which are 30% and 10%. Then go for a rug that mixes those colors together well (you also really need a coffee table to fill the space and something vertical like a floor lamp to help balance out the different window sizes.) Since your walls are white, I wouldn't recommend a white curtain, but you could do something white with orange or sage in a pattern.  I'd also recommend you go big, bold pattern on the rug and small pattern on the curtains, but you could do the opposite. 

    Artwork is often personal choice, but you definitely need some stuff there. Good luck with getting it all together!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I'd add something that ties in with the couch. A teal blue. Check out this rug. Then pick up the blue in the window coverings. Pull colors from the rug for accessories. Where is the house located? I bought this rug from Walmart. Love it! I change out rugs a few times a year in my living room. However; you can look for something just the opposite, with more blue, and less orange, since the couch is orange. Look on Walmart, Wayfair, Rugs.com, etc. For the bedrooms and bath, choose colors from the rug, and use them, you can't go wrong! 

  • Rene HosmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marc Shin:

    Would like recommendations for curtain colors and rug colors for this living room. Thanks! 


     I've used an online designer before, you send her photos, measurements of the room and existing furniture, and your budget and she presents you with design options and the links to buy! I have a hard time visualizing things myself so using Alex has been a god send, here's her website https://www.cheatsheetdesign.com/ 

    It's around $400 for her help and personally is worth it to me just to save my time! She'll help you arrange where the furniture should go, and links to any additional accents she recommends (rug, curtain, curtain rods, accent tables, etc)

    BiggerPockets
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    @Marc Shin Well now you're getting brave....asking us BPers for design advice.... :-)

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I'm surprised to see so many posts favoring blinds over curtains. Most blinds are tough and time consuming to clean, prone to breakage/creases, strings break and get stained etc.  Whereas curtains you can easily throw in the washing machine. Not to mention the cost. 

    Am I missing something? I thought that curtains over blinds was something that a lot of the STR gurus pushed.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    1y

    Lush decor has colorful curtains.  Right now they have some cute but a little wild boho looking curtains with orange, teal, gold, black.  Then you could get a rug with a simple trellis pattern in one of those colors.  They have orange poppy curtains with gray too.  Very cheery and then you could get a gray rug.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    1y

    Meant to add 16$ panel pair and 26$ panel pair, so big pop for little money.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    1y

    Meant to add 16$ panel pair and 26$ panel pair, so big pop for little money.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.