Tips for negotiating your real estate deal

Tips for negotiating your real estate deal

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I visit fairly often with investors looking at a certain vacation rental property to make an offer on.  I am not a realtor, so I cannot give advice as though I am one, but there are some guidelines that I have used personally over the years, with great success. Maybe these will help you, too!

You’ve found the property you like, and the numbers seem to work, but it’s more than you can afford or want to pay. Here is the Collin Hays method of buying the property at what you want to pay:

  1. Don’t ask the seller what their best offer is. They’ve already priced the property. This puts both you and them in an uncomfortable situation, as you are inferring that they didn’t already price it fairly.
  2. Don’t make a list of the flaws of the property and use that to try to talk the seller down. They know they ins and outs of their property, and you bad-mouthing the property isn’t going to going to endear you to the seller. If you want the seller to accept a lower offer, you can’t offend them.  
  3. Consider the possibility that the property is already priced quite fairly. I have given asking price several times with no quibble, particularly if I really liked the property and the numbers worked well.  
  4. If you really like the place but you feel that it is priced too high for your budget, instead of saying “it’s priced too high” and insulting the seller, simply say “I absolutely love your place; it is exactly what I want, and I’d really like to buy it. It’s just more than I can afford, and I don’t want to offend you with a low offer.” If the seller says, “Oh no, feel free to give us an offer”, then there is your invitation.  
  5. Find out what the seller has invested in the property if you can. In many states, this is public information. You can find the most recent sales price for the property on the local tax records website or by doing a quick search on Zillow. If you are trying to buy a $ 1 million home, and they bought it 20 years ago for $250,000, it’s likely they have a whole lot more wiggle room – and less price sensitivity – than someone who paid $1.2 million for it last year. Of course, what they paid isn’t going to take into account the money they have spent on renovations or remodeling, which can be substantial.  
  6. Finally, even with a substantial discount, the house may not be worth it. Do your due diligence and make sure the numbers work for you. It may be that it works quite well at the asking price.  It may be that the price needs to be substantially less for the numbers to work.  You do not owe the seller any explanation on this.  They already made their investment using their own reasoning; now it's your turn.


Happy Hunting!

26Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

A lot of buyers have a psychological issue with #3. They benchmark list price and feel they got a good deal if they were able to negotiate a discount. What they are not seeing that a "great deal" 20k below list may still be 30k overpriced. Milwaukee is still one of the hottest markets in the US, we see on average offers at 102% of list price, so understanding fair market value is key.

And then of course you have the fact that most deals are negotiated by agents. And sorry to say many agents are absolutely lousy negotiators. Here are a few tips for agents I can think off:

1.) Call the listing agent and build report, let them see you are a pro and easy to work with

2.) Don't try to one-up your co-broke. Top producers are always very pleasant to work with (which does not mean they are soft)

3.) Don't get into an argument with the listing agent over how their price is wrong or over inspection issues

4.) Before you write an offer ask: other than price, what else is important for your client? And then shut up until they talk. Uncomfortable silence will get people to talk.

5.) Help your clients write smart offers based on #4. Price is often not the main or the only concern for the seller, they have other needs. You want to hit those points. 

5.) Don't be afraid to present a low offer, but have a conversation and provide a solid case for why this is a fair offer

6.) Follow up with an email to the agent and bullet point your case, which increases the chance that the owner will actually hear them

7.) Detach yourself from the outcome. That is a mental state you can't just pretend. Your job is to serve your client, not to "make" the deal. Not getting an offer accepted is part of the journey.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · College Station, TX · Member since 2020 · 121 posts · 58 votes
    1y

    Great read & some great points. Thanks for sharing, Collin and wish you the best for 2025! 

  • Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    Great tips! I especially like the point about not trying to talk the seller down by creating a list of flaws. I've made that mistake in the past and agree that it's not typically a tactful strategy. Thanks for sharing!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    Great advice!

    You can also ask the seller if they would entertain some owner financing.  All they can say is no.

    If they Cary back a 2nd for the downpayment or more.  This would mean you wouldn't have anything out of pocket.

    They could surprise you and offer to do all owner financing or do it for a few years with a balloon payment.

    I made an 3 offers on a house and to my surprise the owner gave us all owner financing with a small downpayment and zero percent interest. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    Good share, Collin!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    Great advice Collin! Will share this!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Great tips @Collin Hays

    Another "tip" is make sure you are working with a seasoned STR Realtor or your Realtor is conferring with someone like Collin a season STR Property Manager.

    At least once a quarter someone contacts me (as a PM) and either wants management or wants my opinion on a property and the property is illegally zoned or otherwise unsuitable for STR, although their Realtor is telling them otherwise. Sometimes there is a time for them to back out of the deal sometimes its too late.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I visit fairly often with investors looking at a certain vacation rental property to make an offer on.  I am not a realtor, so I cannot give advice as though I am one, but there are some guidelines that I have used personally over the years, with great success. Maybe these will help you, too!

    You’ve found the property you like, and the numbers seem to work, but it’s more than you can afford or want to pay. Here is the Collin Hays method of buying the property at what you want to pay:

    1. Don’t ask the seller what their best offer is. They’ve already priced the property. This puts both you and them in an uncomfortable situation, as you are inferring that they didn’t already price it fairly.
    2. Don’t make a list of the flaws of the property and use that to try to talk the seller down. They know they ins and outs of their property, and you bad-mouthing the property isn’t going to going to endear you to the seller. If you want the seller to accept a lower offer, you can’t offend them.  
    3. Consider the possibility that the property is already priced quite fairly. I have given asking price several times with no quibble, particularly if I really liked the property and the numbers worked well.  
    4. If you really like the place but you feel that it is priced too high for your budget, instead of saying “it’s priced too high” and insulting the seller, simply say “I absolutely love your place; it is exactly what I want, and I’d really like to buy it. It’s just more than I can afford, and I don’t want to offend you with a low offer.” If the seller says, “Oh no, feel free to give us an offer”, then there is your invitation.  
    5. Find out what the seller has invested in the property if you can. In many states, this is public information. You can find the most recent sales price for the property on the local tax records website or by doing a quick search on Zillow. If you are trying to buy a $ 1 million home, and they bought it 20 years ago for $250,000, it’s likely they have a whole lot more wiggle room – and less price sensitivity – than someone who paid $1.2 million for it last year. Of course, what they paid isn’t going to take into account the money they have spent on renovations or remodeling, which can be substantial.  
    6. Finally, even with a substantial discount, the house may not be worth it. Do your due diligence and make sure the numbers work for you. It may be that it works quite well at the asking price.  It may be that the price needs to be substantially less for the numbers to work.  You do not owe the seller any explanation on this.  They already made their investment using their own reasoning; now it's your turn.


    Happy Hunting!

    Collin, your “tips” are quite good, though each and every situation is somewhat different…..
    For years I negotiated and negotiated and negotiated, successfully on some, unsuccessfully are many more.  As investors (buying a home to live in or to house a business we own is DIFFERENT), 90% of sellers will NOT (at least at the present time) accept an offer that makes sense for the investor.  

    I no longer “negotiate”.  Whether it’s an offer to purchase a property, to provide equity capital, or to provide financing, I merely state the price/terms I’m willing to pay. I let the seller/borrower/co investor know that this is my offer and it’s what I’m willing to do.  If the opposing part comes back with a 
    different” number(s) or terms, I politely reject it and reiterate my initial and only offer.  I may explain that while I’d like to buy/finance/invest in his property, I need to earn a certain return on my invested capital for the given amount of risk, and if not able to earn the return on the subject deal than I will on the next deal.  If the seller counters that I’m being unrealistic, I politely tell him I’ve purchased, financed or invested in over 650 properties.  

    The beauty of this is that intermediaries who work with me know that I make “fair” offers based on VERIFIABLE facts, that I follow through with completed deals unless important information was with held or information provided was false, and that there’s absolutely no value in presenting deals to me where the seller/borrower/investor is unrealistic, naive, or otherwise wanting to “test” the market.  

    Btw, I learned about this from a book about the career of Harold Helmsley (pre Leona!) who used this his entire life and build a net worth of over $1 billion by the 1980s starting with absolutely no capital!  

    Of you’re tired of endless negotiations, shotgunning offers to sellers who have no intention of selling, or chasing every “deal” that’s never going to be sold at a price an investor can profit, give this method a shot. 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I visit fairly often with investors looking at a certain vacation rental property to make an offer on.  I am not a realtor, so I cannot give advice as though I am one, but there are some guidelines that I have used personally over the years, with great success. Maybe these will help you, too!

    You’ve found the property you like, and the numbers seem to work, but it’s more than you can afford or want to pay. Here is the Collin Hays method of buying the property at what you want to pay:

    1. Don’t ask the seller what their best offer is. They’ve already priced the property. This puts both you and them in an uncomfortable situation, as you are inferring that they didn’t already price it fairly.
    2. Don’t make a list of the flaws of the property and use that to try to talk the seller down. They know they ins and outs of their property, and you bad-mouthing the property isn’t going to going to endear you to the seller. If you want the seller to accept a lower offer, you can’t offend them.  
    3. Consider the possibility that the property is already priced quite fairly. I have given asking price several times with no quibble, particularly if I really liked the property and the numbers worked well.  
    4. If you really like the place but you feel that it is priced too high for your budget, instead of saying “it’s priced too high” and insulting the seller, simply say “I absolutely love your place; it is exactly what I want, and I’d really like to buy it. It’s just more than I can afford, and I don’t want to offend you with a low offer.” If the seller says, “Oh no, feel free to give us an offer”, then there is your invitation.  
    5. Find out what the seller has invested in the property if you can. In many states, this is public information. You can find the most recent sales price for the property on the local tax records website or by doing a quick search on Zillow. If you are trying to buy a $ 1 million home, and they bought it 20 years ago for $250,000, it’s likely they have a whole lot more wiggle room – and less price sensitivity – than someone who paid $1.2 million for it last year. Of course, what they paid isn’t going to take into account the money they have spent on renovations or remodeling, which can be substantial.  
    6. Finally, even with a substantial discount, the house may not be worth it. Do your due diligence and make sure the numbers work for you. It may be that it works quite well at the asking price.  It may be that the price needs to be substantially less for the numbers to work.  You do not owe the seller any explanation on this.  They already made their investment using their own reasoning; now it's your turn.


    Happy Hunting!

    Buying "off market" is allows negotiated and negotiable. Only on the MLS are you restricted to what a seller or agent for the seller have already etched in their mind.
  • Jonathan SmallPro Member
    Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 151 votes
    1y

    Great post! Negotiation is a key skill in real estate. Here are two quick points to add:

    1. Be prepared to walk away. Having a strong understanding of your "walk away" price (maximum you're willing to pay) gives you leverage and prevents emotional decisions.  @Don Konipol makes a good point about reiterating your initial offer.  This signals that this is my final offer.

    2. Focus on win-win solutions. @John Underwood make a good point about owner financing.  Don't just aim for the lowest price. Consider offering concessions the seller might value, like a quick closing or flexible closing date. This can make your offer more attractive.

      @Andrew Steffens I agree. Work with a seasoned STR realtor or STR PM to give you more options of a win win deal

  • Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 146 posts · 93 votes
    1y

    Very good list. What we’ve learned doing lots of off-market negotiation is we get the best results when we have great, empathetic, trust building conversations that gets to the heart of what exactly the seller wants in the transaction besides price. Get on the same side of the table with the seller and solve the problem together. Obviously this is easier to do when buying off-market.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    A lot of buyers have a psychological issue with #3. They benchmark list price and feel they got a good deal if they were able to negotiate a discount. What they are not seeing that a "great deal" 20k below list may still be 30k overpriced. Milwaukee is still one of the hottest markets in the US, we see on average offers at 102% of list price, so understanding fair market value is key.

    And then of course you have the fact that most deals are negotiated by agents. And sorry to say many agents are absolutely lousy negotiators. Here are a few tips for agents I can think off:

    1.) Call the listing agent and build report, let them see you are a pro and easy to work with

    2.) Don't try to one-up your co-broke. Top producers are always very pleasant to work with (which does not mean they are soft)

    3.) Don't get into an argument with the listing agent over how their price is wrong or over inspection issues

    4.) Before you write an offer ask: other than price, what else is important for your client? And then shut up until they talk. Uncomfortable silence will get people to talk.

    5.) Help your clients write smart offers based on #4. Price is often not the main or the only concern for the seller, they have other needs. You want to hit those points. 

    5.) Don't be afraid to present a low offer, but have a conversation and provide a solid case for why this is a fair offer

    6.) Follow up with an email to the agent and bullet point your case, which increases the chance that the owner will actually hear them

    7.) Detach yourself from the outcome. That is a mental state you can't just pretend. Your job is to serve your client, not to "make" the deal. Not getting an offer accepted is part of the journey.

  • Lender · Warwick Rhode Island · Member since 2023 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    1. If you really like the place but you feel that it is priced too high for your budget, instead of saying “it’s priced too high” and insulting the seller, simply say “I absolutely love your place; it is exactly what I want, and I’d really like to buy it. It’s just more than I can afford, and I don’t want to offend you with a low offer.” If the seller says, “Oh no, feel free to give us an offer”, then there is your invitation.  

    #4 Is great and I bet this one can lead to many successful closed deals.

  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 299 posts · 90 votes
    1y

    I found in my practice especially as a listing agent.  When the listing is new we get alot of phone calls and showings.  But when a template lowball offer comes in (not sure what it's supposed to do beside tick off the seller) You won't be able to recover from your first impression.  In a seller's market be sure to see if other offers have been received before making the offer. The time for a discount would be after it's been on the market a week or two (with no offers received) or better yet just before 30 days before a price reduction takes place. 

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I visit fairly often with investors looking at a certain vacation rental property to make an offer on.  I am not a realtor, so I cannot give advice as though I am one, but there are some guidelines that I have used personally over the years, with great success. Maybe these will help you, too!

    You’ve found the property you like, and the numbers seem to work, but it’s more than you can afford or want to pay. Here is the Collin Hays method of buying the property at what you want to pay:

    1. Don’t ask the seller what their best offer is. They’ve already priced the property. This puts both you and them in an uncomfortable situation, as you are inferring that they didn’t already price it fairly.
    2. Don’t make a list of the flaws of the property and use that to try to talk the seller down. They know they ins and outs of their property, and you bad-mouthing the property isn’t going to going to endear you to the seller. If you want the seller to accept a lower offer, you can’t offend them.  
    3. Consider the possibility that the property is already priced quite fairly. I have given asking price several times with no quibble, particularly if I really liked the property and the numbers worked well.  
    4. If you really like the place but you feel that it is priced too high for your budget, instead of saying “it’s priced too high” and insulting the seller, simply say “I absolutely love your place; it is exactly what I want, and I’d really like to buy it. It’s just more than I can afford, and I don’t want to offend you with a low offer.” If the seller says, “Oh no, feel free to give us an offer”, then there is your invitation.  
    5. Find out what the seller has invested in the property if you can. In many states, this is public information. You can find the most recent sales price for the property on the local tax records website or by doing a quick search on Zillow. If you are trying to buy a $ 1 million home, and they bought it 20 years ago for $250,000, it’s likely they have a whole lot more wiggle room – and less price sensitivity – than someone who paid $1.2 million for it last year. Of course, what they paid isn’t going to take into account the money they have spent on renovations or remodeling, which can be substantial.  
    6. Finally, even with a substantial discount, the house may not be worth it. Do your due diligence and make sure the numbers work for you. It may be that it works quite well at the asking price.  It may be that the price needs to be substantially less for the numbers to work.  You do not owe the seller any explanation on this.  They already made their investment using their own reasoning; now it's your turn.


    Happy Hunting!

    Collin, your “tips” are quite good, though each and every situation is somewhat different…..
    For years I negotiated and negotiated and negotiated, successfully on some, unsuccessfully are many more.  As investors (buying a home to live in or to house a business we own is DIFFERENT), 90% of sellers will NOT (at least at the present time) accept an offer that makes sense for the investor.  

    I no longer “negotiate”.  Whether it’s an offer to purchase a property, to provide equity capital, or to provide financing, I merely state the price/terms I’m willing to pay. I let the seller/borrower/co investor know that this is my offer and it’s what I’m willing to do.  If the opposing part comes back with a 
    different” number(s) or terms, I politely reject it and reiterate my initial and only offer.  I may explain that while I’d like to buy/finance/invest in his property, I need to earn a certain return on my invested capital for the given amount of risk, and if not able to earn the return on the subject deal than I will on the next deal.  If the seller counters that I’m being unrealistic, I politely tell him I’ve purchased, financed or invested in over 650 properties.  

    The beauty of this is that intermediaries who work with me know that I make “fair” offers based on VERIFIABLE facts, that I follow through with completed deals unless important information was with held or information provided was false, and that there’s absolutely no value in presenting deals to me where the seller/borrower/investor is unrealistic, naive, or otherwise wanting to “test” the market.  

    Btw, I learned about this from a book about the career of Harold Helmsley (pre Leona!) who used this his entire life and build a net worth of over $1 billion by the 1980s starting with absolutely no capital!  

    Of you’re tired of endless negotiations, shotgunning offers to sellers who have no intention of selling, or chasing every “deal” that’s never going to be sold at a price an investor can profit, give this method a shot. 

    Great strategy which I use both in RE and my career: 
    -Here is what I can pay for this property. 
    -This is the salary I would require.
    In both arenas I also make concise requests. If you are lowballing, a cash offer, waiving inspection out clause etc. can be helpful and don't ask for anything else. Multiple asks muddy the waters and make people feel as if you are nickel and diming them which you are.  
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays good share for newbies!

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 146 posts · 93 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    A lot of buyers have a psychological issue with #3. They benchmark list price and feel they got a good deal if they were able to negotiate a discount. What they are not seeing that a "great deal" 20k below list may still be 30k overpriced. Milwaukee is still one of the hottest markets in the US, we see on average offers at 102% of list price, so understanding fair market value is key.

    And then of course you have the fact that most deals are negotiated by agents. And sorry to say many agents are absolutely lousy negotiators. Here are a few tips for agents I can think off:

    1.) Call the listing agent and build report, let them see you are a pro and easy to work with

    2.) Don't try to one-up your co-broke. Top producers are always very pleasant to work with (which does not mean they are soft)

    3.) Don't get into an argument with the listing agent over how their price is wrong or over inspection issues

    4.) Before you write an offer ask: other than price, what else is important for your client? And then shut up until they talk. Uncomfortable silence will get people to talk.

    5.) Help your clients write smart offers based on #4. Price is often not the main or the only concern for the seller, they have other needs. You want to hit those points. 

    5.) Don't be afraid to present a low offer, but have a conversation and provide a solid case for why this is a fair offer

    6.) Follow up with an email to the agent and bullet point your case, which increases the chance that the owner will actually hear them

    7.) Detach yourself from the outcome. That is a mental state you can't just pretend. Your job is to serve your client, not to "make" the deal. Not getting an offer accepted is part of the journey.

    Great list! I totally agree that most agents are horrible negotiators. It’s not because they are agents it’s just that anyone who hasn’t learned negotiating skills is horrible at it. Successful negotiating is not just coming to an agreement. If that was the case investing in houses would be easy-just overpay. 

    Negotiating is a skill that needs to be practiced and consistently role played to get right. Tone, pace and the exact words matter. The goal for a buyer is to find Lowest Acceptable Offer. That comes from asking the right questions. The book “Never Split the Difference” by Chris Voss is a great start to learn those soft skills. 
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brad B.:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    A lot of buyers have a psychological issue with #3. They benchmark list price and feel they got a good deal if they were able to negotiate a discount. What they are not seeing that a "great deal" 20k below list may still be 30k overpriced. Milwaukee is still one of the hottest markets in the US, we see on average offers at 102% of list price, so understanding fair market value is key.

    And then of course you have the fact that most deals are negotiated by agents. And sorry to say many agents are absolutely lousy negotiators. Here are a few tips for agents I can think off:

    1.) Call the listing agent and build report, let them see you are a pro and easy to work with

    2.) Don't try to one-up your co-broke. Top producers are always very pleasant to work with (which does not mean they are soft)

    3.) Don't get into an argument with the listing agent over how their price is wrong or over inspection issues

    4.) Before you write an offer ask: other than price, what else is important for your client? And then shut up until they talk. Uncomfortable silence will get people to talk.

    5.) Help your clients write smart offers based on #4. Price is often not the main or the only concern for the seller, they have other needs. You want to hit those points. 

    5.) Don't be afraid to present a low offer, but have a conversation and provide a solid case for why this is a fair offer

    6.) Follow up with an email to the agent and bullet point your case, which increases the chance that the owner will actually hear them

    7.) Detach yourself from the outcome. That is a mental state you can't just pretend. Your job is to serve your client, not to "make" the deal. Not getting an offer accepted is part of the journey.

    Great list! I totally agree that most agents are horrible negotiators. It’s not because they are agents it’s just that anyone who hasn’t learned negotiating skills is horrible at it. Successful negotiating is not just coming to an agreement. If that was the case investing in houses would be easy-just overpay. 

    Negotiating is a skill that needs to be practiced and consistently role played to get right. Tone, pace and the exact words matter. The goal for a buyer is to find Lowest Acceptable Offer. That comes from asking the right questions. The book “Never Split the Difference” by Chris Voss is a great start to learn those soft skills. 

     Ha, huge fan, I just made a video about the book from Chris Voss!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.