VRBO's Automatic !0% Last Minute Discount

VRBO's Automatic !0% Last Minute Discount

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I got the presumptuous email below from VRBO today saying they will apply a 10% last minute discount (less than 14 days) on my listing unless I opt out!  So check your email for this too. 

I opted out of course because I use Pricelabs and already have a discount.  This would be in addition to that, and that is NOT what I want.  A rep from VRBO called me 2 weeks ago, their usual call trying to increase my bookings by me giving discounts and lowering cleaning and pet fees, yada yada.  I said no thanks, I was booked last summer at 98%.  2/3 Airbnb and 1/3 Vrbo, but hey I was booked.  She admitted to me that VRBO bookings have fallen off this year. 

"Coming soon: 10% Last Minute Promotion for your listing
Vacation rental travelers rank pricing as their top concern when choosing a stay.* To spotlight your listing to guests filtering for shorter booking windows (<14 days), a 10% last minute promotion will soon be added to your listing(s).

Offering this promotion could help your listing:
  • Capture more last minute bookings, which make up 30%+ of all Vrbo transactions.**
  • Fill gap days with price-savvy travelers.
  • Boost visibility with sort order uplift, badges, and more.
No action is required, but if you’d like to opt out of offering a last minute promotion, you can do so by May 18, 2025.
5Reply
350 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 20 votes
1y

VRBO has been pretty active this year - they were pushing the 10% weekly discount earlier this year and now this. It is our preferred booking channel, but like you we use a pricing tool so we wouldn't want this to automatically apply. 

At our lake house that we own/manage they always want us to do things like this, and we always politely decline because we are booked, like you, at nearly 100%. Happy to try some of these things during the off-season but would prefer to avoid any automatic adjustments during high season. In fact, all the pricing tools say our nightly rate at our lake house should be lower, but we keep increasing it and we continue to book at nearly 100%. You can't always trust the pricing tools.

Honestly, I'd like to see VRBO focus on helping people to make their listings stand out or add more features that show price reductions (like when Airbnb crosses out the original price and shows the reduced price).

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    VRBO has been pretty active this year - they were pushing the 10% weekly discount earlier this year and now this. It is our preferred booking channel, but like you we use a pricing tool so we wouldn't want this to automatically apply. 

    At our lake house that we own/manage they always want us to do things like this, and we always politely decline because we are booked, like you, at nearly 100%. Happy to try some of these things during the off-season but would prefer to avoid any automatic adjustments during high season. In fact, all the pricing tools say our nightly rate at our lake house should be lower, but we keep increasing it and we continue to book at nearly 100%. You can't always trust the pricing tools.

    Honestly, I'd like to see VRBO focus on helping people to make their listings stand out or add more features that show price reductions (like when Airbnb crosses out the original price and shows the reduced price).

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

    I got the presumptuous email below from VRBO today saying they will apply a 10% last minute discount (less than 14 days) on my listing unless I opt out!  So check your email for this too. 

    I opted out of course because I use Pricelabs and already have a discount.  This would be in addition to that, and that is NOT what I want.  A rep from VRBO called me 2 weeks ago, their usual call trying to increase my bookings by me giving discounts and lowering cleaning and pet fees, yada yada.  I said no thanks, I was booked last summer at 98%.  2/3 Airbnb and 1/3 Vrbo, but hey I was booked.  She admitted to me that VRBO bookings have fallen off this year. 

    "Coming soon: 10% Last Minute Promotion for your listing
    Vacation rental travelers rank pricing as their top concern when choosing a stay.* To spotlight your listing to guests filtering for shorter booking windows (<14 days), a 10% last minute promotion will soon be added to your listing(s).

    Offering this promotion could help your listing:
    • Capture more last minute bookings, which make up 30%+ of all Vrbo transactions.**
    • Fill gap days with price-savvy travelers.
    • Boost visibility with sort order uplift, badges, and more.
    No action is required, but if you’d like to opt out of offering a last minute promotion, you can do so by May 18, 2025.

     Thanks for the heads up; I got the email but I didn't even pay attention. I wish VRBO would just mind their own damned business and let me run my listing without their help unless I ask for it. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      I got the presumptuous email below from VRBO today saying they will apply a 10% last minute discount (less than 14 days) on my listing unless I opt out!  So check your email for this too. 

      I opted out of course because I use Pricelabs and already have a discount.  This would be in addition to that, and that is NOT what I want.  A rep from VRBO called me 2 weeks ago, their usual call trying to increase my bookings by me giving discounts and lowering cleaning and pet fees, yada yada.  I said no thanks, I was booked last summer at 98%.  2/3 Airbnb and 1/3 Vrbo, but hey I was booked.  She admitted to me that VRBO bookings have fallen off this year. 

      "Coming soon: 10% Last Minute Promotion for your listing
      Vacation rental travelers rank pricing as their top concern when choosing a stay.* To spotlight your listing to guests filtering for shorter booking windows (<14 days), a 10% last minute promotion will soon be added to your listing(s).

      Offering this promotion could help your listing:
      • Capture more last minute bookings, which make up 30%+ of all Vrbo transactions.**
      • Fill gap days with price-savvy travelers.
      • Boost visibility with sort order uplift, badges, and more.
      No action is required, but if you’d like to opt out of offering a last minute promotion, you can do so by May 18, 2025.

       Thanks for the heads up; I got the email but I didn't even pay attention. I wish VRBO would just mind their own damned business and let me run my listing without their help unless I ask for it. 


      I agree!  I'm tired of the platforms trying to control our property!
  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    1y

    Completely missed this email. Lauren, thanks for heads up! 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 708 posts · 639 votes
    1y

    interesting. i didnt receive this email

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    I personally am good with a last minute discount. That typically only happens in the off season for me.

    I use the free VRBO price automation anyway.

    I am 95% VRBO and 5% Airbnb.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

    I got the presumptuous email below from VRBO today saying they will apply a 10% last minute discount (less than 14 days) on my listing unless I opt out!  So check your email for this too. 

    I opted out of course because I use Pricelabs and already have a discount.  This would be in addition to that, and that is NOT what I want.  A rep from VRBO called me 2 weeks ago, their usual call trying to increase my bookings by me giving discounts and lowering cleaning and pet fees, yada yada.  I said no thanks, I was booked last summer at 98%.  2/3 Airbnb and 1/3 Vrbo, but hey I was booked.  She admitted to me that VRBO bookings have fallen off this year. 

    "Coming soon: 10% Last Minute Promotion for your listing
    Vacation rental travelers rank pricing as their top concern when choosing a stay.* To spotlight your listing to guests filtering for shorter booking windows (<14 days), a 10% last minute promotion will soon be added to your listing(s).

    Offering this promotion could help your listing:
    • Capture more last minute bookings, which make up 30%+ of all Vrbo transactions.**
    • Fill gap days with price-savvy travelers.
    • Boost visibility with sort order uplift, badges, and more.
    No action is required, but if you’d like to opt out of offering a last minute promotion, you can do so by May 18, 2025.
    I got the email but when I try to opt out it can't find my property. I couldn't find it in the app to shut it off either. I've got a ticket open with them to get it shut off. We have been booked every weekend this year, I don't want any discounts added.
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
    1y

    I can't find the setting on VRBO, and now I wonder if it's because of my PMS API. Does anyone else experience the same?

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Curious if those who opt out pay a penalty on the algo for search rankings

    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      Curious if those who opt out pay a penalty on the algo for search rankings


      They say in the email that giving the discount will “ Boost visibility with sort order uplift, badges, and more.”  So that means the rest of us will be lower in rankings. 

    • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
      1y

      Do you know if anyone who is API integrated received this email?  

      • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
        1y
        Quote from @Account Closed:

        Do you know if anyone who is API integrated received this email?  


         I am integrated through OwnerRez, and I have not received that email.

    • Josh SedivyBusiness Member
      St. Louis, MO · Member since 2024 · 134 posts · 55 votes
      1y

      I didn’t get the email either, but I’m glad you mentioned it!

    • Michael BaumPro Member
      Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y

      I got the note and tried to opt out but it just did the spinning circle and never actually did anything.

      I decided to let it go and see what happens. Part of the dates are already booked anyways so I don't think anyone will book it regardless.

      • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        1y
        Quote from @Michael Baum:

        I got the note and tried to opt out but it just did the spinning circle and never actually did anything.

        I decided to let it go and see what happens. Part of the dates are already booked anyways so I don't think anyone will book it regardless.

        It’s probably because so many hosts are overwhelming the system trying to opt out, LOL.  Let us know if it works out for you.   
    • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 171 posts · 95 votes
      1y

      Got a reminder email from VRBO yesterday and opted out easily (could see confirmation on the page). Will keep an eye out on rankings. While I realize others have great occupancy for this upcoming summer, I'm feeling this is a reminder that travel can be very price-sensitive (and I'm adjusting prices slightly downward).

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.