VRBO Now Requiring a “Regulation Number” in Vallejo, CA — Anyone Else Dealing with Th

VRBO Now Requiring a “Regulation Number” in Vallejo, CA — Anyone Else Dealing with Th

Investor · Vallejo, CA · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 23 votes

Hey everyone,
I've been operating four short-term rentals in Vallejo, CA for the past four years without any major issues. I list them on both Airbnb and VRBO.

Today I received an email from VRBO saying "all reservation payments have been suspended" until I provide a "regulation number" for my listings. When I called VRBO for clarification, they were predictably unhelpful — just told me I needed to obtain the number from the city, but didn’t provide any details on how or where to do that.

I've scoured the City of Vallejo's website and can't find anything current that explains a process for short-term rental (STR) registration or permitting. There's no clear mention of an STR permit, and nothing obvious like what cities like San Diego or San Francisco offer.

I’m wondering:

  • Has anyone else in Vallejo or Solano County gotten the same message from VRBO recently?

  • Is Vallejo cracking down on STRs or rolling out new enforcement quietly?

  • Did anyone successfully register, or...did you just create a number and move on?

At this point I’m considering making up a placeholder number just to get my payouts released, but I’d obviously prefer to stay compliant if there's a legit process.

Any insight or experience would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean

1Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

Hey @Sean Resavy, did you call the city? I am betting they will be able to help you.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Sean Resavy, did you call the city? I am betting they will be able to help you.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Sean Resavy, did you call the city? I am betting they will be able to help you.


       I agree, call the city.

      It may be that VRBO is being required to make sure you are an authorized STR.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would recommend checking with hosts in a local Facebook group to see if others are dealing with it, this is a large nationwide group and few if any locals to your market.  Good luck!

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Call the city and check with other Hosts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.