Perspective from being an Airbnb guest (also a host)

Perspective from being an Airbnb guest (also a host)

Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes

I'm currently travelling (and in Tysons Corner near the D.C. area) and earlier this summer, I was also in Chicago. I tried SO hard to find a STR that met our group's needs (senior over 96 with mobility issues, AC necessary for heat sensitive, something central & vibrant for Gen X). Could not do it as the only STRs that didn't have stairs (or had elevators) required me to provide government issued ID for everyone in our group (which some objected to for privacy concerns). We ended up at the one hotel in Navy Pier and while it worked great for our group, there are definitely opportunities in Chicago for high end places that don't mandate IDs for everyone.

In Tysons, I was able to find an airbnb that worked for a different group with different needs (we have family and friends all over and I needed a hub to visit Potomac, Vienna, McLean, Fairfax, etc.). However, we're having very mixed experiences with this unit that has more significant wear and tear (walls, floors, shades, etc.). So much so that I ended up documenting and taking a lot of pictures on Day 1. There's significant drywall damage in one bathroom (along with water stains under the exposed sink). Some sheets were questionable in terms of being clean (tossed up, not folded) inside a closet (to use for a spare mattress). Sheets and towels were mostly clean (but stained or marked and probably should be retired). A bunch of small issues (e.g. no hand soap in one of the bathrooms, no dish soap in the kitchen, toilet paper holders not secured so visibly off the walls, and can't fully open the dishwasher because its door hits the oven/range door when oven door is closed at a 45 degree angle (I can't make this stuff up!). All the outlets on one wall in the kitchen were dead but my husband was able to troubleshoot the GFCI. On the plus side, although the mattresses are terrible and hard (and I like medium-firm!), this location can't be beat and they're over-generous in providing extra bulk supplies of trash bags, hand soap, shampoo, body wash, laundry and dishwasher detergent. We found some empty hand soap containers in the kitchen sink so just refilled those and used them.

When I reached out to the hosts as a gesture of good faith and provided the pictures, etc., they replied with a clearly tinned, automated response. (Thanks for letting us know. We'll let maintenance know after you leave.) Frankly, I wasn't looking for a refund but as a host, I would be horrified to get this kind of message (although I would also really appreciate it as I'd want to make things right). I'm well aware that our cleaners will occasionally miss some things (although not on this level) and I'd like to know. Also, I probably would have had someone run over with dish soap, etc. as a gesture.

While I would really like to write an honest review of this airbnb, I'm leaning toward not writing anything because I don't want to jeopardize my great reviews as a guest (which is a possibility with hosts like this, given how extensively I've cited the issues). But I realize that's not beneficial to other guests. I feel like there has to be a better system for reviews that what either Airbnb or VRBO have currently- that could be better balanced and work for both guests and hosts. Otherwise, in one sense, we're just "gaming" the system one way by not leaving a review knowing a negative review won't post if we don't post, etc. Always curious what the fab and diverse community here think. TIA!

1Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

It’s Airbnb and Vrbo’s fault for the current review system bias. We hosts all wish a 4 rating on those platforms was “very good” like it is everywhere else, and a 3 was “average”, but they’re not - they’re failing grades. And too many ratings like that can get a host kicked off the platforms. 

Right now I’m vacationing in an oceanfront beach condo that would sell for about 1.1 million. It’s beat up from renters, needs some paint and TLC and a deep clean. In this area, it’s common to not supply linens, TP, soap, or anything else. We have to bring all of that. I’m probably going to rate it a 5, because it’s cheaper than comparable condos here, and I know how hard guests are on beach rentals, and I have specific bed arrangement requirements. If I were to tell the host about the problems after I submitted my review, I would preface it by saying that I gave her 5 stars because of the great location and price, but that I have a few suggestions to make the house even better etc. That way the host is not put on the defensive and worried about your rating. I would not tell her that I am a host too. Everyone knows that hosts make the most critical guests. If you give this host less than 5 stars, be prepared to be blocked from booking that place in the future. Again, that’s the platforms fault for requiring 5 stars as a baseline. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Reviews are for honest feedback. Whether or not it is good or bad for you personally should be irrelevant.  

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    1y

    Hosts can't avoid bad reviews by choosing not to review the guest and I'm guessing the opposite is true. I don't think you avoid getting a review from the host by not reviewing the listing. 

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Carolyn Fuller:

      Hosts can't avoid bad reviews by choosing not to review the guest and I'm guessing the opposite is true. I don't think you avoid getting a review from the host by not reviewing the listing. 

       Interesting because I also didn't leave a review for a filthy, and I mean filthy, property once. We travel with dogs, are very clean and leave a tip for housekeepers but I was afraid in retaliation the host would write a negative comment that would make renting a place difficult for us in the future. I guess I could have notified them we we arrived but it wasn't really practical for us to contact host at 6pm on a Friday night and request a full house cleaning while we sat in the car in 90 degree weather with our mutts. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    TLDR

    Try to condense and get back to us

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Jon Martin Lol. Can't rent an Airbnb without seeing it from host perspective. Currently staying in a half-assed STR with a great location. Reached out to hosts with issues. Received canned response (and nothing done). Debating if I leave a review knowing nothing posts if either party does not leave a review.

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christina B.:

      @Jon Martin Lol. Can't rent an Airbnb without seeing it from host perspective. Currently staying in a half-assed STR with a great location. Reached out to hosts with issues. Received canned response (and nothing done). Debating if I leave a review knowing nothing posts if either party does not leave a review.


      Thanks for the Clifs Notes! I think if you reach out to the host and give them a fair chance to address the issues, and in response they are complacent and making no effort, then leaving a negative review is absolutely fair. 

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Carolyn Fuller I'm curious what works in reality. As far as I know (and I know the group here will correct me), if I as a guest don't provide a review, the host's review of me as a guest goes nowhere. If I as a host don't provide a review, the guest's review of the listing also goes nowhere. I'm starting to recognize cases in which they've been on the platform for years but no or little reviews as a guest... could be because they're complicated guests (and not because they haven't travelled). Some guests just don't post reviews. Just saying.

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Jules Aton This! You perfectly understood. Thank you.

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Collin Hays I don't disagree that it should be irrelevant. But in practice, it doesn't seem to work that way (and that reflects how the platforms set it up). JD Martin (?) had a thread here on how VRBO hasn't been posting host responses to reviews for a while. I've read and experienced retaliatory reviews where reaching out to guests regarding noise, smoking, damage, etc. now becomes a question of providing evidence/documentation along with timing (and calculating if it's worth taking some sort of hit to try to alert others).

    In some cases (VRBO), no comments to read means I can't tell what 3 stars indicate (although often, there are zero reviews). Has anyone here seen a 1 or 2 star VRBO guest?

    On AirBnb, the private notes to other hosts is valuable. But I don't think those go through- unless the guest posts a review. So I can be honest about guests and my feedback won't make it through the system if my guest doesn't leave a review. I can also be honest as a guest and if my host doesn't leave a review, it won't make it through the system either. Am I misunderstanding something?

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christina B.:

      @Collin Hays I don't disagree that it should be irrelevant. But in practice, it doesn't seem to work that way (and that reflects how the platforms set it up). JD Martin (?) had a thread here on how VRBO hasn't been posting host responses to reviews for a while. I've read and experienced retaliatory reviews where reaching out to guests regarding noise, smoking, damage, etc. now becomes a question of providing evidence/documentation along with timing (and calculating if it's worth taking some sort of hit to try to alert others).

      In some cases (VRBO), no comments to read means I can't tell what 3 stars indicate (although often, there are zero reviews). Has anyone here seen a 1 or 2 star VRBO guest?

      On AirBnb, the private notes to other hosts is valuable. But I don't think those go through- unless the guest posts a review. So I can be honest about guests and my feedback won't make it through the system if my guest doesn't leave a review. I can also be honest as a guest and if my host doesn't leave a review, it won't make it through the system either. Am I misunderstanding something?


       Yup, it was me (you have a good memory!). The entire review system sucks. I have a number of easy suggestions to improve the entire thing, none of which will ever be implemented because VRBO et al don't give 2 craps about hosts at all. They are only there to rake money as the middle man, and they need people booking to do that. They are parasites, and we (owners) are the (albeit willing) hosts. 

      1. It should be *mandatory* that no review can be left below a certain level - I say 5, but 4 could be OK - without any alleged "issues" being transmitted through the platform's message system, with pictures if it includes alleged damages or filth. Every host will tell you of guests that said nothing about anything their entire stay, even if you text them to ask how everything is going, then rattle off a litany of complaints when they leave that either could have possibly been addressed while they were there or are simply made up in an attempt to extort the host.

      2. Reviews should be an entire 2-way street, with all guests having their own ratings with visible comments that can be left by the hosts, again with pictures if it includes damages or filth. The way it is now on VRBO and Booking, you can't see anything at all about the guests (don't remember on AirBnb). 

      3. Any guest with an average rating below a certain level should be automatically blocked from instant booking and require a clearance from a host before allowing the booking. This would allow hosts the flexibility to allow great guests the convenience (maybe even a discount) to book instantly while getting to decide if you really want the dirtbag with 5 one-star ratings as a guest to book your property. The way it is now you either have to allow instant booking for everyone, or pre-approve for everyone. I don't want to make life difficult for great guests and I don't want to be stuck with bums. 

      4. Tit-for-tat negative reviews should require some kind of arbitration with the host platform. 

      Of course none of these will ever happen so we will have to wait until a better platform supplants these bums. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    You never go wrong being truthful.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    1y

    If only the host or guest writes a review but the other doesn't, the written review will be posted after 14 days. Search on Google turned the following up:

    What happens if an Airbnb host doesn't leave a review?

    If an Airbnb host doesn't leave a review for a guest within the 14-day window after checkout, here's what happens:

    No Review on Guest's Profile: No review from the host will appear on the guest's profile.
    Guest Review Publication (if applicable): If the guest did leave a review for the host, that review will still be published on the host's listing after the 14-day review period expires, regardless of whether the host reviewed the guest or not.

    In essence, if the host remains silent, the guest won't receive a review from them, and if the guest wrote a review, it will still be published after the deadline.

  • Lenny SharpBusiness Member
    Realtor · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    I don't see that anyone has replied with the actual review process (or maybe I missed it). After 14 days from checkout, any reviews by the guest or the host are then posted. During the 14 days, both have to review for it to be posted. We have 3 STRs, and have set up automatic good reviews through Hospitable. We schedule them to go out at 12 days. Some hosts schedule them for the very last minute, so the guest isn't reminded to leave a review, in case it might not be positive. Once the review is made by the guest within the 14 days, I tell Hospitable to post mine. I also edit the review with any specific issues that came up with the guest, but if it was generally positive, I just let it go with the "standard" 5 star review. It's very rare for us to leave a negative review, and we have over 600 reviews and all but one was 5 stars. And fortunately the one 4 star review wasn't enough to bring our average down below 5 stars. Hope that helps.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Christina B. Unfortunately lodging in the DC area can be hit or miss and is also expensive. If you are in the area again check out Crystal City, VA. Its a great, affluent area that is walkable with excellent restaurants, food/music in the park and easy access to DC.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    You can't  see each other's reviews until both are written.

    The host already knows you have complaints so they may try and previmpetivly ding you anyway.

    Write an honest review to warn everyone else. If they fix everything then great.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    It’s Airbnb and Vrbo’s fault for the current review system bias. We hosts all wish a 4 rating on those platforms was “very good” like it is everywhere else, and a 3 was “average”, but they’re not - they’re failing grades. And too many ratings like that can get a host kicked off the platforms. 

    Right now I’m vacationing in an oceanfront beach condo that would sell for about 1.1 million. It’s beat up from renters, needs some paint and TLC and a deep clean. In this area, it’s common to not supply linens, TP, soap, or anything else. We have to bring all of that. I’m probably going to rate it a 5, because it’s cheaper than comparable condos here, and I know how hard guests are on beach rentals, and I have specific bed arrangement requirements. If I were to tell the host about the problems after I submitted my review, I would preface it by saying that I gave her 5 stars because of the great location and price, but that I have a few suggestions to make the house even better etc. That way the host is not put on the defensive and worried about your rating. I would not tell her that I am a host too. Everyone knows that hosts make the most critical guests. If you give this host less than 5 stars, be prepared to be blocked from booking that place in the future. Again, that’s the platforms fault for requiring 5 stars as a baseline. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    "kinda funky place, needs a little TLC, great location." 4 stars. Since you stayed and didn't leave. With me, no ID no entry, clear from the beginning.

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Carolyn Fuller and @Lenny Sharp Thank you both for the clarification. Not only did I learn something, I realized I understood the review process incorrectly! Thank you for the facts.

    @Jules Aton Appreciate the recommendation. I grew up in McLean. Just back visiting family & friends so Tysons works better as a hub when I have to ferry the elderly repeatedly to Vienna, etc.

    @John Underwood It's that pre-emptive ding I'm concerned about. They didn't fix a thing but did offer a 20% discount if we wanted to stay longer, lol. (Can't because of other commitments.)

    @Jon Martin A negative review might be fair. But the system itself (Lauren's post is perfect for capturing that) is not fair. I'm undecided.

    @Henry T. This place in VA isn't the place in Chicago (another city I'm very fond of because I went to grad school there). I don't have a problem providing ID as the booker- but I do have a problem providing ID for everyone in my group as that seems unnecessarily invasive. We don't do this at most hotels, etc. I don't know how they're using that data, etc. And fwiw, because of this lovely group, I already was aware of some of the Chicago STR restrictions and they were bypassing those by pushing a contract that implied it was a mid-term rental or something other than a STR (and they managed a ton of condos in Chicago as STRs).

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    1y

    @Lauren Kormylo So many good points in your reply. You capture my quandary. Everything not a 5 is a negative (unless it's a rare 4). I'm actually headed to DE next (ha!) to Bethany Beach. I don't mind being blocked by the place we're staying at. I wouldn't stay there again. We're going to actually leave it better than we found it. I was sympathetic until I realized they were going to do nothing. (And not even personalize their response.)

    I love hearing you're going to give your current place 5 stars because there's a part that galls me about that. So what do you give places where they really knock it out of the park and provide an amazing experience? (This is starting to remind me of that joke- what do you call a person who graduated at the bottom of their class at the worst medical school? We could all riff on what do you give an Airbnb whose dishwasher can't open more than 45 degrees with drywall damage and other maintenance and cleaning issues? 5 stars. Jk.)

    Anyway, thank you, Lauren (and thank you fab group here). My better half has already written the review for me, lol- it says "Great location with some maintenance issues." (4 stars). Sigh. In my world, this is 3 stars. (I did stay at an Airbnb in Montreal that had drywall damage and when I told them about it, they came up and patched it. Great team to work with.)

    P.S. Our cleaners just told us several pillows have gone missing. But the guests were nice enough to leave us old and damaged pillows in their stead. Sigh. People are weird.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    1y

    re: "A negative review might be fair. But the system itself (Lauren's post is perfect for capturing that) is not fair. I'm undecided."

    I actually think the ratings are fair but not nearly as useful as the reviews. When I stay in an Airbnb that I wouldn't stay in again because of issues that weren't highlighted either in the description / communications from host or in any of the reviews (I do read reviews before I book), the rating I leave is much less useful than the review I write. I might leave an overall 5 stars because the listing mostly met expectations but then my review is factual.

    For instance, this past June I stayed in an Airbnb in Pisa. Nowhere in the description, communications from the host or the reviews, did I see that the air conditioning would not be available to us. When we arrived there were notices in the unit that it was illegal in Pisa to run the AC less than 77 degrees Fahrenheit and we couldn't run the AC at night, at all. 

    More importantly, there were no remote controls in the unit so we were unable to turn the AC on at all. When I reached out to the host about the remote controls, he had his mother bring them upstairs for us. But the instructions remained that the AC should be set no lower than 77 and not run at night at all. We were to open windows at night.

    We were there on a weekend and nowhere in the description, communications from the host or reviews did it mention the unit was directly over a weekend outdoor social hotspot. Even when we ignored the instructions and closed the windows and turned on the AC, the noise was too loud to sleep. No one was able to sleep until the hot spot closed in the wee hours of the morning. 

    I looked up the rules for AC in Pisa and discovered that, indeed, hotels and other public buildings were to keep their AC no lower than 77. It is debatable about whether that regulation covered Airbnb units but I gave the host the benefit of the doubt on that point. 

    In my review, I said anyone who is relying on AC should check in with the host before arrival to make sure the remote controls were placed in the unit. I told them about the 77 degree limit in Pisa regulations. I told them that if they were staying in the unit over the weekend to expect a raucous crowd at the outdoor spot below the unit. I told them that sleeping with the windows open and no AC on a weekend was challenging. 

    A 5 star host with a listing like this one, would warn potential guests of the issues up front before the guest committed to the reservation. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I just got back from Europe - had 2 great Airbnb experiences and 1 terrible. I still personally prefer hotels personally - but very glad many people prefer STR :)

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    So I always leave an honest review based on what my cleaner tells me. 

    We actually got our first 4 star review in 8 years. Everything was great! They loved it!

    They had to walk to our beach...ugh...4 stars.

    It is clearly described in our listing there is a short walk to get to our beach even though it is in front of our house. We have no direct stair access down the hill. Still working on that after 5 years of working with the state.

    They destroyed 6 towels/washcloths. 

    Oh well. You can't win them all.

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Lauren is spot on here.

    This is Airbnb/VRBO's fault.

    Like she said, hosts all hate the 5* or bust review system.  Airbnb knows that hosts hate it, they will commonly mention it to me.  But they think it helps guests because their thought is that hosts having to beg strive and refund to get 5* reviews will create a better guest experience (who doesn't like refunds for every small issue, right?).

    The problem is it is actually a disservice to guests because guests can't tell what is actually a 3*, 4*, 5* property since they all end up rated 5*.  In the hotel space, you generally know what you're getting and go in with the right expectations because the reviews match.  On Airbnb/VRBO they don't, because hosts have all begged and refunded their way to the 5* reviews they have to get to stay alive, even if they have a 3* property.

    The more GUESTS complain about it to Airbnb/VRBO, the more likely there will be a change.  They already know hosts hate it.

    Reddit is also full of guests complaining about the same thing, but none of them take it to Airbnb.  Tell the OTA that, as a guest, you felt their tainted review system did you a disservice and makes you less likely to use the platform as a guest.  Guests are what they care about and the ones who can initiate change.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9172 Reviews
  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 146 posts · 72 votes
    1y

    Hey Christina. I get your hesitation. The current review system absolutely pushes both hosts and guests toward “5 stars or nothing,” which doesn’t give anyone a clear picture of the property. I’d still lean toward leaving an honest, factual review (minus emotion) so future guests know what to expect. If the host can’t handle constructive feedback, that’s on them - and in my experience, being professional in tone helps minimize retaliation. But at the end it’s your call.

  • Dr · VA · Member since 2025 · 154 posts · 34 votes
    1y

    Reviews are positive feedback that can help businesses. However, sometimes points like facilitations for elderly and modification is costly, specially for newly investors in Airbnb. I am a licensed RCAL Administrator and exactly understood your point of view. 

    If we look it from the investor point of view, would be different due high capital requirements.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.