typical furnishing costs

typical furnishing costs

Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 10 votes

Hello fellow investors, how much do you typically spend to fully furnish a 3-bedroom, 2-bath STR home, and what effective strategies have you used to keep furnishing costs down? Any specific tips on sourcing affordable, durable furniture or creative budget hacks—like where to buy, what to prioritize, or what to avoid—would be especially helpful. Thank you in advance for all your valuable input and insights!

2Reply
784 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

If you're trying to buy furniture that needs assembling, don't underestimate the time that takes.  It takes days to put together a 3 bedroom house full of furniture. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Hey Bob

    I always advise my clients to budget $20/ft all in cost for a professionally designed and fully outfitted.  If you do it yourself probably $15-17/ft.

    While I appreciate trying to save money I think it is important to mention STR's are competitive to downright saturated in most every market so thrifting is not a sound strategy nowadays. You should also spend extra for durability when it comes to couches, tables, bed frames, and mattresses etc. If you buy cheap you'll end up replacing much quicker and ultimately spending more.

    Hope this helps, good luck!

    • Interior Decorator · Nationwide · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 35 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      Hey Bob

      I always advise my clients to budget $20/ft all in cost for a professionally designed and fully outfitted.  If you do it yourself probably $15-17/ft.

      While I appreciate trying to save money I think it is important to mention STR's are competitive to downright saturated in most every market so thrifting is not a sound strategy nowadays. You should also spend extra for durability when it comes to couches, tables, bed frames, and mattresses etc. If you buy cheap you'll end up replacing much quicker and ultimately spending more.

      Hope this helps, good luck!


      Andrew, I completely agree. To stand out in today's market, you need to be intentional and thoughtful with design, amenities, and furnishings! We always recommend clients aim for Top 10% Performer Listings and the Guest Favorite Badge!

      The top-performing properties are constantly booked and command higher nightly rates compared to the average of 50% of listings.

      $17 per square foot is right on.

      If helpful, here is a sample breakdown rule of thumb:

      Each Bedroom:$3,260 - $4,350

      Living Room Space:$5,220 - $6,960

      Dining Space: $3,920 - $5,220

      Outdoor Spaces and Essential: Extra

      Remember: But It Right; OR Buy It Twice

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    Do not go down the path of buying a bunch of new fancy stuff for $30k per property. Regardless of your level of plain/simple vs rustic vs fancy, you can do it for much less by just going to used furnishing stores (primarily).

    I used both 1) high-end second hand stores (meaning not primarily Goodwill and Salvation Army), and 2) lower level antiques stores where they have decent pieces for say < $500. Great to find nice used artwork at these places.

    Although do not ignore Goodwill for basic stuff like dishware, glassware, counter appliances, etc.....You'd be amazed at what people drop off there when they're moving in a hurry. Brand new toasters, blenders, pots and pans, silverware, etc

    Look for appliances at big name Appliance Stores that sell seconds or lightly damaged units (scrapes on the side or back)...

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

      Do not go down the path of buying a bunch of new fancy stuff for $30k per property. Regardless of your level of plain/simple vs rustic vs fancy, you can do it for much less by just going to used furnishing stores (primarily).

      I used both 1) high-end second hand stores (meaning not primarily Goodwill and Salvation Army), and 2) lower level antiques stores where they have decent pieces for say < $500. Great to find nice used artwork at these places.

      Although do not ignore Goodwill for basic stuff like dishware, glassware, counter appliances, etc.....You'd be amazed at what people drop off there when they're moving in a hurry. Brand new toasters, blenders, pots and pans, silverware, etc

      Look for appliances at big name Appliance Stores that sell seconds or lightly damaged units (scrapes on the side or back)...


       Exactly. Depends on how much effort and time you want to put into finding deals or if you want turn key.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I'd say $10K for the main living areas and 1st bedroom. Add $5K for each additional bedroom, which covers the scaling up needed for other furnishings to acomodate the extra heads. This is for moderate quality items, not fancy but durable and decent looking. So ~$20K for for a 3 bedroom place. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    This may be market-specific, but for STRs here in Colorado, you're not getting away with thrifting. Acquisition costs are high and supply is dense, so to make money of any kind, you need to stand out. 

    I just had a client buy a 3br/2ba existing Airbnb in Fairplay, 45 minutes south of Breckenridge. The property under previous owners was grossing $60k or so the previous two years. With updated furniture, some cool design and a big game room, he's on track for $90k. That improvement is paying for his furniture alone. 

    On the other side of the spectrum, I've had clients who insisted on saving $10k on furniture up front and, what do you know, they waded through the middle of the pack on Airbnb for years. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisiana · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 149 votes
    1y

    We furnished a 2 bedroom 1 bath unit for roughly $20,000. We used majority of the big furniture from Rooms To Go & Ashley Furniture with some filler stuff from Amazon, local  boutique shops & local furniture shops. Do not cheap out on furniture or mattresses is my suggestion. This furniture is going to get lots of use & you do not want to be replacing on a regular basis.

  • Property Manager · Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC · Member since 2024 · 264 posts · 118 votes
    1y

    @Bob V. 
    for a 3/2 STR I usually spend around$12k–$18k to furnish fully. The biggest tip is to prioritize beds, sofas, and dining (guests care most about those) and save on décor until later. I mix IKEA/Amazon basics with Facebook Marketplace finds, and always go for easy-clean fabrics and durable pieces. Bulk mattress buys and local outlet discounts help too. Simple décor hacks like framed prints and thrifted lamps go a long way without breaking the budget.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Finished one last month just under $20sq ft. For furniture I use mostly Bassett and La-Z-Boy with a few pieces from Amazon and Facebook Marketplace. I feel like quality furniture looks better, holds up better and will attract better guests? 

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2023 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    1y

    For a 3 bedroom 2 bath AirBnB in DC, I spent around $15k. I shopped around between Costco, Wayfair, Ikea, and Amazon.

    One pro tip I discovered was calling Wayfair and gaining access to Wayfair professional as I was making purchases for a business. I don't think it added a significant discount, but even 1-2% on $15k adds up.

    Another thing I did was apply for two new credit cards that had 5k spend requirements to receive the signup bonuses. While this didn't necessarily reduce the cost of the furniture, it did result in roughly $2k worth of points.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    If you're trying to buy furniture that needs assembling, don't underestimate the time that takes.  It takes days to put together a 3 bedroom house full of furniture. 

  • Member since 2025 · 246 posts · 100 votes
    1y

    @Bob V Furnishing costs vary, but many budget $8K–$15K for a 3/2 STR. Prioritize beds, sofa, dining, and durable basics. Mix IKEA/Amazon with FB Marketplace finds. Good luck!

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Just finished a 3/2 around 1400sf for right around $10K. Mostly stuff from Wayfair- it looks great, quality is decent, but I think it's great for what you pay. 

    Been tracking supplies and costs as we furnish STRs, happy to share the list if anyone is interested. 

    As a side note, I always use credit card/travel hacking when doing this kind of spend, this last one basically bought be a free flight to Europe. Don't sleep on the little bonuses you can get investing in RE. 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    1y

    Just purchased furniture, linens, outdoor polywood furniture and curtains this weekend for a 3/3 condo. Here is how we roll...my wife as the designer puts a spreadsheet together with links for each item with costs and quantity.  I then spend about 4 to 6 hrs reverse image searching each item to find the cheapest place to by the items.  It was great this weekend the first item I searched for was a $900 headboard she had on Wayfair that I found for $220 at Home Depot minus 10% military discount and 10% cashback through topcashback making our true cost ~$180.  Her cost prior to me working on it to furnish a 3/3 including $2,800 of polywood outdoor furniture was $28k.  I got it down to $22k and addition $750 cashback using cashback sites.  Sometimes Minoan can beat other sites, but sometimes not. It is worth getting a quote from them. Another tip is 95% of Wayfair items are sold elsewhere cheaper, but wayfair uses a different name so you have to image search the item. Appliances were another $2.6k and I prefer to use Costco because they bring all the hoses and cords for free, install for free and haul away for free. 

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      Just purchased furniture, linens, outdoor polywood furniture and curtains this weekend for a 3/3 condo. Here is how we roll...my wife as the designer puts a spreadsheet together with links for each item with costs and quantity.  I then spend about 4 to 6 hrs reverse image searching each item to find the cheapest place to by the items.  It was great this weekend the first item I searched for was a $900 headboard she had on Wayfair that I found for $220 at Home Depot minus 10% military discount and 10% cashback through topcashback making our true cost ~$180.  Her cost prior to me working on it to furnish a 3/3 including $2,800 of polywood outdoor furniture was $28k.  I got it down to $22k and addition $750 cashback using cashback sites.  Sometimes Minoan can beat other sites, but sometimes not. It is worth getting a quote from them. Another tip is 95% of Wayfair items are sold elsewhere cheaper, but wayfair uses a different name so you have to image search the item. Appliances were another $2.6k and I prefer to use Costco because they bring all the hoses and cords for free, install for free and haul away for free. 


      Yup, reverse image search on Wayfair every time. Sometimes it's a 3-4X+ markup! Why people still buy tons of stuff from there is beyond me. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      Just purchased furniture, linens, outdoor polywood furniture and curtains this weekend for a 3/3 condo. Here is how we roll...my wife as the designer puts a spreadsheet together with links for each item with costs and quantity.  I then spend about 4 to 6 hrs reverse image searching each item to find the cheapest place to by the items.  It was great this weekend the first item I searched for was a $900 headboard she had on Wayfair that I found for $220 at Home Depot minus 10% military discount and 10% cashback through topcashback making our true cost ~$180.  Her cost prior to me working on it to furnish a 3/3 including $2,800 of polywood outdoor furniture was $28k.  I got it down to $22k and addition $750 cashback using cashback sites.  Sometimes Minoan can beat other sites, but sometimes not. It is worth getting a quote from them. Another tip is 95% of Wayfair items are sold elsewhere cheaper, but wayfair uses a different name so you have to image search the item. Appliances were another $2.6k and I prefer to use Costco because they bring all the hoses and cords for free, install for free and haul away for free. 

       Thanks for sharing such great insight, @Account Closed!

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
    1y

    Hello @Bob V.

    For my STR, I used a simple rule of thumb: I budgeted $6,000 per bedroom, which became my estimate of the total cost for furnishing the entire house. I then provided this overall budget to a paid online designer, who was able to create a detailed shopping list that fit within my price range. This approach made the process efficient and ensured I stayed on track with my spending goals. Hope this helps!

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I typically buy used furnishings, but high quality.  Functional antiques and vintage. Semi-antique persian rugs, heavy duty dining rooms, high-end leather furnishings.  Heck I bought a 70 year old Brunswick pool table that will outlast the new stuff by 10X.  

    I don't do all of this to save money. Most of the new stuff is just junk.  

    This is a fairly recent build.  The only "new" you see is the loveseat and sofa.  Everything else is antique, vintage, or used handmade.  

    River Song - Smoky Mountain Falls

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Bob V., you will get various answers on how much per room etc.

    I don't think that buying used means buying crap or how @Avery Carl once told me, "Grandmas white wicker furniture.".

    If you have the time and inclination, hitting up Craigslist, FB marketplace and OfferUP among other places will yield a treasure trove of deals.

    You can get top quality USA made furniture for pennies on the dollar. We got a brand new La-Z-Boy hide a bed couch that sold for over $1500 for $200. A full oak dining set for $125 including the buffet. 

    You just have to be flexible on the design a bit. We shot for comfortable home feeling. Like being at your own home but on the lake. It has worked really well for us over the last 8 years and we are still using all the various furniture pieces except for a hand made futon that a guest destroyed.

    The place you buy brand new is mattresses, linens, towels etc. If you search for some of my posts you will find I do a Mike's Deal of the Day. I list things I find like TV's, sheets, towels etc etc that I find to be good values. Plus I have a ton of posts about exact types of sheets, brand names listed, towels the same.

  • Property Manager · Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC · Member since 2024 · 264 posts · 118 votes
    1y

    @Bob V. 

    For a 3/2 STR, I usually budget around $15K–$25K to fully furnish. Biggest tip: spend on mattresses, couches, and dining chairs since comfort drives reviews, and save on décor or accent pieces (Marketplace, IKEA, Wayfair). Durability beats trendy every time.

  • Property Manager · Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC · Member since 2024 · 264 posts · 118 votes
    1y

    @Bob V. 

    Hey Bob, furnishing a 3/2 STR can vary quite a bit depending on quality and sourcing strategy. Based on what many investors are doing:

    • Budget range: $12K–$25K total for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath, depending on whether you DIY or use professional design/furnishing services.

    • Priorities: Beds, couches, and dining chairs—guests notice comfort first. Durable furniture saves money long-term.

    • Cost-saving tips: Mix IKEA/Amazon basics with quality second-hand finds (Facebook Marketplace, estate sales, local outlets). Appliances and mattresses are worth buying new for reliability.

    • Other hacks: Bulk mattress purchases, cashback/discounts, and spacing out décor purchases until later can help stretch your budget.

    The main takeaway: invest in comfort and durability over trendy décor, and you’ll see better guest reviews and lower replacement costs.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hey Bob! For a 3BR/2BA STR, I typically see budgets land between $15K–$25K depending on design goals. Prioritize comfort in mattresses, a solid sofa, and durable dining seating - those impact guest reviews the most.

    To save, I mix sources: Marketplace for sturdy secondhand, IKEA for accents, outlets for big-ticket discounts, and Amazon/HomeGoods for finishing touches. Furnish what shows best in photos first (beds, sofa, dining), then layer in the rest.

    Happy to connect and swap more tips.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 30 posts · 24 votes
    11mo

    don't skimp on mattresses or linens!  Thrift /FB marketplace for fun decor pieces that make your listing stand out, buy kitchen stuff and pillows and mattress protectors at Ross.

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 41 votes
    11mo

    Wayfair has some great furniture and if you get their pro account and then do a price quote for Wayfair on Minoan, you'll save even more.  I really like the Helix mattresses on HostGPO. Very affordable and comfortable, too. California Design Den has great sheets and a pro price break. Sometimes I buy them through Amazon and sometimes through their company.   Amazon for most everything else is fast shipping and often a good deal.  Plus when you need to replace it, it's easy to find what you ordered.  

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    @Bob V.,

    For a 3-bed, 2-bath STR, we generally see furnishing costs range from $10K–$20K or more, depending on the level of quality and how turnkey you want it to be. People often prioritize spending on high-touch items like mattresses, sofas, and dining chairs since guests notice comfort and durability the most. To keep costs down, many mix new and secondhand pieces—Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, and local hotel liquidators are great for finding like-new furniture at a fraction of the price. For essentials and décor, Amazon, IKEA, HomeGoods, and TJ Maxx are popular go-tos, though it's smart to avoid cheap particleboard furniture that doesn't hold up to guest use. With a bit of strategy, it's possible to create a high-end look without overspending by focusing on durable, mid-range pieces and adding personality through art and lighting. Also, remember to keep all receipts and documentation, as it'll make tax filing much easier and ensure you're maximizing your deductions.

    Good luck, and I’m just a message away if you need help!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    10mo

    It reallywill depend on the design and how much you can hustle to get furniture deals.. take into consideration though too the longer it takes for you to get the furniture by trying to find good deals is time you could be spending renting the property

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    10mo

    I own a STR Startup company, and we find the cheapest to be $15/sqft all in. A good middleground of $20sqft is great. Do not buy used or thrift.

    Luxury can run as high as you'd like, but generally we consider luxury $35-45sqft in our markets

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    10mo

    For a typical 1-bedroom, 1-bath STR, I usually budget around $6K base for the essentials, then add about $1.5K per bedroom to cover extra furniture, decor, and bedding.

    To keep costs down, I focus on:

    • Prioritizing durable, easy-to-clean pieces over “fancy” stuff

    • Mixing in budget-friendly retailers with a few higher-quality anchor items

    • Sourcing rugs, lamps, and decor from clearance sales or secondhand stores

    It keeps the place functional, attractive to guests, and way under the cost of going all high-end.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.