Miami Area Vacation Rentals

Miami Area Vacation Rentals

Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I’m an aspiring snowbird from Boston. I’m interested in Miami real estate that I would occupy for 2-3 months in the winter and then rent out the rest of the year.

My wife and I own a couple Airbnb rentals in Massachusetts. So we are familiar with short term rentals, but not the Miami market.

I’m currently doing research ahead of our trip to Miami in early February.

Any recommended resources to learn about Miami real estate? 

Specifically, we’re looking for a vacation rental that we would enjoy 2-3 months out of the year.

0Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Dale Bertrand:

Thank you for your responses. This is all very helpful.

I totally get that winter is the best rental season. This is absolutely a lifestyle move for me, and I would be okay with not renting it at all.

@Andrew Steffens Nothing wrong with Tampa except it's 10 degrees colder than Miami this time of year. 

Interesting idea @Luis Maqueira to buy a better-performing rental elsewhere and then just rent when we go down to Miami.


 I like Luis idea too, I always wanted to own a house in the mountains but have settled with owning homes in my market that perform and making cashflow to fund any rental expenses when I go

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2025 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    8mo

    Hi Dale - the demand surged but the opportunities still exist. I sent you DM

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    I am in the Tampa area and I have quite a few clients who started their search in the Miami area and migrated west to Tampa where the opportunities are better.  It depends on what your priorities are.  If you are looking at the best possible returns, S. FL is ok but not the best.  If you love the area and are just looking for some income to offset expenses or a breakeven scenario you should be able to achieve that.  I do have a good agent I can refer you if you need.  Good luck!

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    8mo

    @Dale Bertrand I am local to Miami. Happy to connect. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami · Member since 2022 · 247 posts · 75 votes
    8mo

    We should talk, 

    we have an investor group and one of our team players,  is a Canadian GC very familiar with situation.  

    We can chat I am from latin america all my client have the same idea  use and rent when not there.  My opinion there are better steady income rental solution for all year.  And then when you travel you have the money to pay for it anywhere any time.  Winter is when you make the most money and  you are going to be use in it??

    Let's chat

    Luis Maqueira Miami coliving

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8mo

    Thank you for your responses. This is all very helpful.

    I totally get that winter is the best rental season. This is absolutely a lifestyle move for me, and I would be okay with not renting it at all.

    @Andrew Steffens Nothing wrong with Tampa except it's 10 degrees colder than Miami this time of year. 

    Interesting idea @Luis Maqueira to buy a better-performing rental elsewhere and then just rent when we go down to Miami.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Dale Bertrand:

      Thank you for your responses. This is all very helpful.

      I totally get that winter is the best rental season. This is absolutely a lifestyle move for me, and I would be okay with not renting it at all.

      @Andrew Steffens Nothing wrong with Tampa except it's 10 degrees colder than Miami this time of year. 

      Interesting idea @Luis Maqueira to buy a better-performing rental elsewhere and then just rent when we go down to Miami.


       I like Luis idea too, I always wanted to own a house in the mountains but have settled with owning homes in my market that perform and making cashflow to fund any rental expenses when I go

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 685 votes
    8mo

    Love the snowbird idea. I’m based in Central Florida and spend most of my time buying and running investment properties here. Miami can be fun, but it’s very rule heavy and super neighborhood specific for short term rentals.

    Since you already do Airbnbs, I'd start by digging into Miami's STR rules and talking to a couple local hosts or agents who live it every day. Also don't sleep on Central Florida for a winter spot that rents well and is a lot more predictable. Happy to chat if you want to compare notes.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6277 Reviews
    • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
      8mo

      Quote from @Jorge Vazquez:

      Love the snowbird idea. I’m based in Central Florida and spend most of my time buying and running investment properties here. Miami can be fun, but it’s very rule heavy and super neighborhood specific for short term rentals.

      Since you already do Airbnbs, I'd start by digging into Miami's STR rules and talking to a couple local hosts or agents who live it every day. Also don't sleep on Central Florida for a winter spot that rents well and is a lot more predictable. Happy to chat if you want to compare notes.

      @Jorge Vazquez

      Great advice! I know nothing about Miami's STR regulations. Can you recommend any resources? I'm most interested in Miami Beach.

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 238 posts · 102 votes
    8mo

    Hi Dale, I have a few buildings in mind that still do perform well as well as SFH areas. Let's connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.