Struggling with lack of transparency from property managers

Struggling with lack of transparency from property managers

Anthony TaylorPro Member
Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes

Struggling with lack of transparency from property managers, is this the industry standard?

I have recently hired new property management companies for my short term rentals, Avari in Navarre, Florida, and another firm in OKC, but I am already deeply unhappy with both.

Having self managed my properties for almost a year, I have a solid understanding of how things work. I am finding the lack of transparency completely unacceptable. I am not able to see the booking gross, the total fees, or how the net payout is calculated. Both companies are telling me their software does not allow for this level of reporting.

To me, this feels like a major red flag as it makes it impossible to verify the financial performance of my own assets. I am honestly at the point where I am ready to let both of them go.

I am looking for some community wisdom here:

1.Am I right to be this concerned, or is this normal for these types of management companies?

I feel quite discouraged and would appreciate any advice from those who have navigated these transitions before.

2Reply
710 views

Most Popular Reply

Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
6d

I am in the process of taking over a client from Avari in Panama City Beach. I can't say how their reporting is, but their operations were horrible. His property should have been doing more than twice what it was. But as a computer guy in my normal job, their excuse is just that, an excuse. I would not work with someone that couldn't be transparent with all their data. Running a smaller co-hosting company, always amazed at how these bigger property management companies handle their business and how they keep customers. Though I have pulled in 4 clients from the bigger companies so I guess they don't keep them all.

You are right to be concerned, but it also seems pretty normal for these companies. Maybe look at some of the smaller boutique management companies. They are generally more responsive and often times perform better because they don't make money on volume but on performance.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    6d

    I am in the process of taking over a client from Avari in Panama City Beach. I can't say how their reporting is, but their operations were horrible. His property should have been doing more than twice what it was. But as a computer guy in my normal job, their excuse is just that, an excuse. I would not work with someone that couldn't be transparent with all their data. Running a smaller co-hosting company, always amazed at how these bigger property management companies handle their business and how they keep customers. Though I have pulled in 4 clients from the bigger companies so I guess they don't keep them all.

    You are right to be concerned, but it also seems pretty normal for these companies. Maybe look at some of the smaller boutique management companies. They are generally more responsive and often times perform better because they don't make money on volume but on performance.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6d

    My biggest complaint with two properties in different locations was their pricing. While they were excellent at handling all the guest stuff which truthfully was huge and garnered positive reviews they underpriced my properties, despite multiple discussions. One had a platform with invoices that were comprehensive but 45 days after the fact so I was behind the curve with price transparency. The other guy was low tech so I got nothing but gross and net however as we were transitioning out and added as co-host the guy was honest just didn't have the time or tech to send me the details. Either way despite the additional reponsibility so far I'm happier and obviously netting more since raising rates and not paying PM fee.

  • Property Manager · FL · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6d

    It sounds like a problem with the management companies themselves. We run a vacation rental management company (Florida Vacation Collection), and our owners get insight into all of these financial metrics on a monthly basis.

    I'd be glad to discuss helping with your property, if you're considering working with someone else rather than going back to doing it yourself.

    https://floridavacationcollection.com
    https://floridavacationcollection.com/management

    • Anthony TaylorPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
      5d

      I am considering it, I would be willing to listen. I really don't have time to play games with the current PM people about my investments and what I expect.

    • Property Manager · FL · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes
      5d

      Sounds good, I'll send you a message.

    • Anthony TaylorPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
      4d

      Ok!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6d

    They should be able to provide an itemized list even if is it a print out from their own accounting report. They have the info (they have to for so many reasons).

  • Property Manager · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2019 · 245 posts · 121 votes
    5d

    Anthony I'd ask them to walk you through one completed reservation, from what the guest paid to what landed in your account. Every deduction. If they can't explain one booking, a prettier monthly report won't help much. Did either show you a sample owner statement before you signed?

  • Michael TempelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · MN · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5d

    From owning a large MF management company I think the issue is they are likely the wrong fit and in over their head.

    I confess I made the same mistake by taking on retail, HOA, single family, large developments, large and small multifamily and working with 15 ownership groups....so I was that company by accident!

    I would shop for the best in the market through referrals in your area and make the change quickly once you have a good alternative.

    ROI Multifamily
    View Page
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4d

    Are you on their account now or did they sync into yours? Some of it can be software related, at least how it comes into the statement but someone should absolutely be able to gather additional info for you and break it all down into a way where it all makes sense.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4d

    Your property manager is lying to you. You shouldn't have to twist their arm for the information you are seeking. This business isn't that complicated. Find a new manager. I'd recommend Andrew if he works in your area.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    4d

    As the owner, you should be able to see what the property is bringing in, what the fees are, and how they arrived at the amount you're being paid.I understand that different management companies use different software, but that shouldn't prevent them from giving you a clear breakdown. I'd ask them to show you exactly how they're calculating the numbers and what you're being charged.You shouldn't have to guess how your own property is performing. If they can't give you a clear answer, I'd be asking some serious questions too.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
    • Anthony TaylorPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
      4d

      We had a video conference today and I invited my CPA and my financial planner. The conclusion was that I gathered he is not willing to give us the gross as it comes from the platform let's say Airbnb that is under their Enterprise. His excuse was that they don't give that to any of their owners but that he would show us today while on the video conference just this one time. Though there is language in the contract that says that they would provide detailed financial transactions at our request. So I gave him an extract from the contract of what it said and asked him once again if he would be willing to provide that information per contract or not?!

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 311 posts · 104 votes
    4d

    Your concern is reasonable, @Anthony Taylor . An owner should be able to reconcile each reservation from the gross booking amount through platform fees, management fees, taxes, adjustments, and the final payout. Reporting formats vary, but “the software cannot provide it” is not a satisfying answer when the company is responsible for managing your revenue.

    Before ending either relationship, request a sample owner statement, reservation-level transaction detail, a written explanation of every fee, and a clear reconciliation process with a reasonable deadline. Then compare their response with the reporting and termination requirements in the management agreement. If they still cannot provide enough detail to verify the numbers, treating that as a serious concern is fair. The encouraging part is that you already understand the operations, so you are well positioned to set better reporting expectations and make a thoughtful transition if needed. You are not asking for anything unusual—you are asking for visibility into the performance of your own assets.

    • Anthony TaylorPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
      4d

      Thank you Divine! Really appreciate your words here!! I will look at the termination requirements. I don't think it's going to work. I I had a video conference with him today my CPA and my financial planner and he is holding to software limitations and an unwillingness to regularly provide detailed financial transaction transparency regarding gross booking.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    4d

    You are right to push on this. If a PM cannot show booking gross, fees, and net separately, pull the raw payout reports directly from Airbnb or VRBO for the same dates and compare them to what hits your bank account. That comparison alone tells you whether the math is real, independent of whatever their software can or can't print. I stopped trusting any PM's summary number the day I started reconciling against the platform payout report instead of the monthly statement.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4d

    I don't have an STR but in any business you should understand how much the manager is getting compensated and how much you're getting compensated

  • Anthony TaylorPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
    3d

    Ok!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.