Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
We had a guest stay 8 days in a large cabin. Checked out on Saturday the 26th. Darn the luck that they didn't find "Black Mold" until the last day they were there, and want a partial refund. Said they started having symptoms when they got home.
"I am just checking on your investigation findings. Airbnb policy states that black mold would be a reason for a partial refund. Just looking for a response before I left a review."
"We take our health serious." Hmm. Who doesn't?
Translated: Give us some money or we will leave you a bad review.
Yes, there was some surface mold on a wall and a vent. We are in an area where we get 70 inches of rain per year. But the guest won't have it! They want MONEY!
Of course, they left out the part of the Airbnb policy that says:
What to Do If You Find Mold
Leave the Area: Move to a safe location if you experience health issues or allergic reactions.
Document Everything: Take clear photos or videos of the mold and save any messages.
Notify the Host: Message the host immediately through the app to state that the property is unsafe due to mold.
Report to Airbnb: Contact within 72 hours of discovering the issue to request a refund or rebooking assistance. [1, 2, 3, 4]
They did none of this, except send us a couple of photos of a vent and a wall, days later.
Tempted to tell him to pound sand, and he is permanently on our "Do not rent to" list.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2d
I had a long term tenant claim mold just 2 weeks ago. I had a company come in and do a mold test and received a lab report stating there were mold spores outside than in the house.
So if you do this and they leave you a bad review you'll have something to dismiss any bad comments and put potential future tenants at ease. Home Depot sells a mold test kit. You could also go this cheaper route.
Perfect response. I can’t stand this kind of behavior and would also rather eat a bad review with the ability to add a polite and factual rebuttal than cave to extortion.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2d
This literally just happened to me, and luckily Airbnb took our side. Guest rented a house by the beach for a little over a week. On day 3 she tells us they have to go home due to the husbands work and requested a refund of unused days. We declined but offered that if she cancelled and we rebook we could refund her whatever we re-rented for. She declined and said that she will be remaining in the area and will still go use the house so the kids can swim (odd). Checkout day was yesterday and we get a notification from Airbnb that she is making a complaint of mold and requested a refund of unused days. Had no photo evidence at all.
Unfortunately for you if its Airbnb and they have photos and mold on a vent Airbnb will likely refund.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2d
I had a long term tenant claim mold just 2 weeks ago. I had a company come in and do a mold test and received a lab report stating there were mold spores outside than in the house.
So if you do this and they leave you a bad review you'll have something to dismiss any bad comments and put potential future tenants at ease. Home Depot sells a mold test kit. You could also go this cheaper route.
Don't pay it, and don't negotiate against the review — that's the move that guarantees this keeps happening. A guest who gets paid for a threat learns it works. From managing short-term rentals: first, keep everything in the Airbnb app and forward that "looking for a response before I leave a review" message to support. Airbnb's reviews policy specifically prohibits threatening a bad review to extract a refund, and hosts can report it as extortion. Second, fix the vent anyway. We deal with humidity too, and surface mold on a vent is a maintenance item: clean it, treat it, photograph it, keep the receipt. If the bad review comes, answer publicly with one calm sentence of facts — guest never reported anything during the stay, inspection found no mold issue. The review stops hurting you the moment your reply is the reasonable one.
Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 108 votes
2d
@Collin Hays The title made me laugh—although “Negotiating with Terrorists” may be a little dramatic, the implied “refund or bad review” message would frustrate any host.
Since there was visible surface mold, it makes sense to address and document the cleanup promptly, but that does not automatically mean agreeing to whatever refund the guest requests. A calm response through Airbnb could acknowledge the concern, note that it was not reported during the eight-day stay, and ask Airbnb to review the timeline and evidence under its policy. Keep the message factual and avoid telling the guest to pound sand—even if that is the tempting response. The strongest position is professional documentation, prompt remediation, and letting the platform handle any refund or review-related pressure.
IDK this sounds like sufficient evidence of extortion by mentioning review:
"I am just checking on your investigation findings. Airbnb policy states that black mold would be a reason for a partial refund. Just looking for a response before I left a review."
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
1d
I had a tenant report and photo a large **** roach. The property has never had cockroaches and is on monthly pest control. The cockroach was either a hitchhiker or a plant as you do not get big cockroach without first having little cockroaches.
Unfortunately guest was not as blatant about the extortion attempt (certainly seemed implied). We did not offer a discount and he left a poor rating and discussed the cockroach. It is the only pest related review but we still occasionally get inquiries asking if the pests/cockroach issue has been addressed. There never was a pest/cockroach issue.
Just part of having STRs is to deal with the occasional extortion attempt.
This issue is becoming far more frequent. I’m seeing this every 1 out of 10 guests or so. Starting to rotate cleaners and do extra deep cleanings to get in front of it, although some situations simply cannot be verified unless you have someone willing to be on call on Friday and Saturday nights to verify “smells”, bufs and other petty issues.
Rubber/plastic gag roaches have been around for decades. Now with AI you don’t even need that.
IMO this very issue could be the downfall or at least the major limiting factor for growth of the single family residence STR model. Hotels can usually swap rooms without loss of revenue, while SFH owners cannot, nor can they verify if the complaint is valid most of the time. The OTA can only side with the guest for so long until they have to start refunding too much of their own platform fees.
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t at leaf a discussion among the higher ups, even if for now it’s seen as necessary evil.
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11h
@Collin Hays my approach would be a little different. They have 14 days to leave a review correct?I would tell them that you completely understand their situation, and I would agree that I would not want to stay in a property that had mold in it either.
Then I would state that you can probably get them a refund but you just need to get the approval from all the owners and that you will start working on it right away. But that they will most likely get a refund. I own each of my short term rentals with partners so I could say this without lying. But even if I didn’t, I would have my spouse be the partner and my kids or my friends or whoever.
Then over the next 14 days I would ask clarifying questions that the owners wanted to know and that it has been difficult to get a hold of all the owners. But every couple of days I would state that one of the owners stated yes. And you are trying to get the rest to say yes too and that you think you are going to be able to get it approved for them. So I would basically drag it out over the 14 days and then on day 15 I would let the prior guest know that the last owner decided not to give the refund. But that you tried your very hardest to persuade them.
At that point, they are not able to leave a review and you move on.
Truthfully, I have not used this method yet, but I have wanted to. And I plan to if I get into this situation.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9h
lol little devious there Shiloh. Kind of reminds me of wholesalers who tell owners they have to have a partner check the property and said partner is really a potential buyer.. and or said partner is a cat.. STR is being an inn keeper so U just have to in my mind work like anyone who owns a hotel / motel..
Collin do you provide laundry soap pods in your units that have washer dryer for guest to use or only for cleaners ? Also do guest do laundry very often ?
Laundry is a huge plus, guests at least like to have the option because disasters happen, and usually people run out of clean clothes at some point during a trip.
Definitely provide soap, but never leave a full package. Put 4-6 or so in a jar.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
5h
How many operators:
1) Leave negative reviews of these Guests? 2) Check Guest reviews before booking them?
@John Underwood - be careful about immediately getting a mold test. Our attorneys have told us NOT to do that! Once you do, the evidence can actually be subpoena'd and used against you.
Even if a Guest or tenant gets their own mold inspection, you want to be careful about getting your own. Your attorney can always try to question the validity of theirs.
So, check with an attorney as this is not legal advice.
Just delt with this myself. The cleaning issue was minor, some stains from spilled liquids and shoes on white parts of some rugs that I now know will never come out no matter how often you steam or spot treat them. Guest refused my offer for a cleaning fee refund and an emergency clean and countered with a 50% refund. I refused, and offered to refund them if they leave, which they accepted.
This was a mistake as I still got a 3 star review. In hindsight, I think the guest was disappointed that the house wasn’t more modern because she took photos of very petty minor items and complained that the house wasn’t as new it looked in the photos. My photos don’t hide any warts and clearly show that some aspects of it are dated. She was basically using the rugs as a proxy for her disappointment of what she thought she was getting, despite my photos being an accurate representation.
From this point forward if the guest complains and refuses my offer for a cleaning feee refund and emergency clean I will simply tell them to take it up with customer care. They’re going to leave a bad review anyway.