First AIRBNB about to launch!

27 Replies

Hey all! 

I've made a couple posts about this previously, from the time the idea had struck in my mind, to now here we are about to go live.

This also could apply to military investing, however just chose to share a bit here, maybe it'll spark an idea for someone else.

In Feb 2020 I bought my first house with the intentions to simply be my primary residence utilizing the VA loan. However, as I learned more via BP and wanted to get into REI so badly, I decided I would try this STR thing out, I really love the idea of vacation rentals.

I was recently in Iraq, and while deployed was able to find another home to move into closer to the base I work at, utilized the VA loan for it as well, and am currently househacking in it. The original property, the cabin for reference, will be going live within the week via all booking websites. It is a 2000 sq ft 3/2 log cabin on 24 acres with access to a prominent lake for my area. I am very excited about this and finally getting into REI.

Here's to getting started for real, after over a year of educating.

To those who want to start but are nervous, you'll run into issues, won't lie about that... however, boy is it a great feeling finally beginning something you know you have wanted to for so long. Do it.

Updated about 1 month ago

Hoping to get another STR going in Alabama, Florida, or Tennessee soon !

Congratulations and thank you for your service @Alec Newman !

I purchased my first STR last year and couldn't be more happy with it! It's a cabin as well and I have it listed on my profile if you'd like to view it. Not sure what your strategy is, as I know you are a busy person, but if you have the availability and/or family to help you manage it I would recommend managing it yourself versus hiring a big property management company to manage it, although I'm already sure you know those benefits. I'm not sure what market you're in, but feel free to reach out if you want to discuss strategies, PMS, or any other STR questions you may have.

Best of luck! 

-Matt

Congrats! The first week or two are crucial to a listing. Airbnb will be throwing extra traffic your way to test your listing. You seem like the type to already have all your ducks in a row though, so I'm sure it'll crush.

@Alec Newman congratulations, and as others have said, thank you for your time serving this country!

Where is your cabin located? I would love to hear more if you wouldn't mind sending me a PM, as I am a co-host and am trying to invest in a cabin STR market. It'd be great to pick your brain!

Congratulations & all the best ! Thank you for service ! There is a lot of experience in these forums with STR ! I started mine 3 years ago !

Congrats and thanks for your service!

The best part of short term rental is seeing the vision and design come to life! And I suppose cashflow is pretty cool too. So excited for you to be getting started.

If you want to bounce ideas off each other, would be happy to chat! I operate over 100 units in 4 different cities, and am exploring the Poconos / Cabin market as we speak.

Cheer and best of luck on your launch! Be sure to share your listing with us!

@Alec Newman Congratulations!! I am so intrigued by STR investments and my goal is to purchase one (or two) by the end of this year. I purchased my first property in 2017 and just went under contract to sell with closing date set for July 31st. Now im at the point where im ready to take a risk and really try to scale this thing. Been researching markets and potential out of state STR opportunities for the last couple months now, and would love to hear more about the education and resources you used to find your AirBnb. Best of luck with your new place!

@Alec Newman Congrats!! That’s a great idea I’m sure you will make way more than regular rent. I tried it out with my own apartment 3 years ago and then scaled an arbitrage business to 26 properties and purchased 3 as well. It’s honestly life changing!

@Alec Newman hey man, nice one and well done.

Here’s a couple of things about air bnb that I wish someone had told me.

To get the most out of your listing you have to be active. Just like a website has to be current so does your listing. This means updating it regularly, updating content and pictures. Also changing the calendar regularly so you get put back on the top of the list. It doesn’t take that long, maybe 15 minutes a day but it’s worth every penny.

Rating and reviews are everything in this business but there are people that will try and take advantage of that, so expect it. Have policies in place and try not to get emotional. It’ll serve you best in the long run.

Make sure you have your key players,

cleaner/ restock person they will make or break your business

Maintenance person, things will break and they will need to be available.

Sounds like a great place and best of luck to ya. Thanks for serving, I appreciate it.

Originally posted by @Alec Newman :

Hey all! 

I've made a couple posts about this previously, from the time the idea had struck in my mind, to now here we are about to go live.

This also could apply to military investing, however just chose to share a bit here, maybe it'll spark an idea for someone else.

In Feb 2020 I bought my first house with the intentions to simply be my primary residence utilizing the VA loan. However, as I learned more via BP and wanted to get into REI so badly, I decided I would try this STR thing out, I really love the idea of vacation rentals.

I was recently in Iraq, and while deployed was able to find another home to move into closer to the base I work at, utilized the VA loan for it as well, and am currently househacking in it. The original property, the cabin for reference, will be going live within the week via all booking websites. It is a 2000 sq ft 3/2 log cabin on 24 acres with access to a prominent lake for my area. I am very excited about this and finally getting into REI.

Here's to getting started for real, after over a year of educating.

To those who want to start but are nervous, you'll run into issues, won't lie about that... however, boy is it a great feeling finally beginning something you know you have wanted to for so long. Do it.

Congrats. Remember, STRs are not passive like rentals and can directly offset your other income (W-2 and such) if structured correctly.