New Member in Austin, TX - Wisconsin Transplant

New Member in Austin, TX - Wisconsin Transplant

Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes

Hi BP friends!

Carolyn Lorence here in Austin, TX. My husband and I moved here from Wauwatosa, WI in 2011 - the winters here are sweet! I've been a BP member for a while, but didn't feel ready to go online until now. I just completed my profile and defined my investing goals. Feel free to jump to my profile for more details if you wish to learn more of my background. I've been learning real estate investing through local REIAs and BiggerPockets, among other sources for about two years. So much to learn! The content and breadth of experience on this site is amazing and it's very refreshing to see high standards always a priority among the members here.

Since leaving Milwaukee and the workforce in 2011, RE investing has become my full-time business venture going forward. I'm in the process of building my team and designing my business entity, services, etc. My short term goal is to buy 10 cash flow rental properties in the Austin area, and along the way, manage a few wholesale deals to learn all facets. I will gladly accept advice and suggestions.

Does anyone know if there is a BiggerPockets Austin Meetup in place, or would like to create one? I've seen lots of other REIA Meetups, but none specific to BP. Would love to get to know the local contingent.

I am so happy to be a part of this community and look forward to engaging with my fellow investors.

Thanks, BiggerPockets!

0Reply
31 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard @Carolyn L.

    Make sure to set up keyword alerts for terms you are interested in, such as "Austin." That way when someone posts info about a local meetup, you'll get notice.

    You live in a great area for investing and quality living. We're glad you've joined us!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Carolyn L. to Bigger Pockets!

    Sometimes when it's 20 degrees or less here in WI, I definitely wish I was somewhere warmer!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the warm welcome, Jon! Austin keyword - done. I've added San Antonio, Milwaukee (just in case I get the silly urge to rehab a home in mid-winter again!) and Charleston, SC as well. The investing market here is indeed incredible. Nothing like this in Wisconsin!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Thanks Dawn!

    Wow - 20 degrees used to be my cold threshold - now it's 60! Haha! You are welcome to come down anytime and join us for a Packer Game and some sunshine.

    Looks like you're doing really well in the Milwaukee market! Good for you! I visit in the warmer months - we should connect next time. I may want to start buying some Tosa properties by then.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    Carolyn, I am working with my contacts and planing a "meet and great" in the South Austin area. We are working on the first meeting to be Thursday, December 5th, 10:00 a.m. at a South Austin Coffee shop. I have a location in mind just need to check with them first. It will be a meet & greet (java talk), with round table introductions, and suggestions taken for future meetings. My ideas for future sessions would include some brief "pitch your deal" talks and a short "golden nugget" piece of information of value to the group.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Hi @Carolyn L. , I just moved to Austin 2 weeks ago from Pittsburgh. I'm looking for a local networking group as well so please let me know if you come across anything.

    Are you going to focus on a particular area of Austin for acquiring properties?

  • REALTOR® · Bastrop, TX · Member since 2013 · 324 posts · 191 votes
    12y

    @Carolyn L. I posted a question a couple weeks ago that received some responses that might answer your question:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/86/topics/104461-recommendations-in-austin-texas

    @Kyle Baer Welcome to Austin!!!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Thanks, James. I'll keep it on my radar screen and look for updates.

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Kyle Baer Welcome to Austin! Hope you're enjoying the warmer weather. As for local networking, it looks like Patrick's link to the local MeetUp group is a great start. If you check the Meetup site and search for Austin Real Estate groups, there are several groups with a lot of cross-over members.

    I am still relatively new to the Austin area, so it is important that we connect with local investor-friendly realtors here on BP to learn the emerging markets. But I am focusing on a pretty wide area east of I35, from Round Rock south to downtown Austin. Hope that helps! Stay in touch.

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Patrick Connell

    Thanks for the link - very helpful, indeed!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Carolyn L.

    See you around the site!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Hey @Brandon Turner - thanks so much! Really glad to be here. You and Josh - and the BP team are doing a great service for the investing community. Much appreciated. And love the podcasts!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    thanks @Carolyn L. ! Good to hear!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Hi @Brandon Turner - I'm all set with keywords - but somehow my introduction was posted in duplicate, so I'm responding to comments on both. Not sure how that happened! Any chance your IT folks can merge them?

    Thanks!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    ahhhh I was so confused! Gotcha - I've consolidated. :)

  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Welcome, I am also new

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sounds like you're in the middle of building yourself an empire @Carolyn L. - exciting stuff. Glad you introduced yourself so we could check out your progress and hear your goals.

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Joe Fairless - the Carolyn Lorence Empire has a nice ring to it! Looks like you're doing pretty well yourself with your life adventure - nice job! Thanks for the welcome note, and letting me know I'm on the official watch list. :) All very exciting stuff.

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Jimmy Samaha welcome to BP! It's a great place to learn!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.