Licensed Real Estate Agent aspiring to be an investor

Licensed Real Estate Agent aspiring to be an investor

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hi there! My name is Sophia! I'm originally from MN, but have lived in AZ for about 5 years now. 

I Recently obtained my real estate license last September. Since then I have been doing some research on the investment side of things. It's extremely exciting learning about all the different opportunities there are on this side of the world but also very overwhelming.

I have yet to decide on the specfic avenue I'd like to become more specialized in. As I previously stated, there are so many different options, I can't seem to make a decision yet. 

My goal is to create amazing relationships and help wherever I can.

I look forward to meeting you and soaking in your knowledge, advice and having good times! 

4Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan GuentherBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
3y

Hey @Sophia Villebro welcome to the community! I'm also a MN native but haven't lived there in years 

This is a bit cliche but my biggest advice would be to focus on house hacking. On the agent side, this will be an easy transition into investing as you'll be working with a lot of single-family home transactions just like you would for non-investor clients. Learn the basics of running numbers and how to help people get systems set up for a successful house hack and you'll be off to the races! 

Reach out if you want to chat more about different options! 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    3y

    Welcome to the site @Sophia Villebro! It's great to have you here.

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/m...

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/a...

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/r...

    Check out BP Money Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Wishing you the best!

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Clarity comes from taking action. You will not. Know which Avenue to take until you’ve tried them all. 

  • Dan GuentherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    3y

    Hey @Sophia Villebro welcome to the community! I'm also a MN native but haven't lived there in years 

    This is a bit cliche but my biggest advice would be to focus on house hacking. On the agent side, this will be an easy transition into investing as you'll be working with a lot of single-family home transactions just like you would for non-investor clients. Learn the basics of running numbers and how to help people get systems set up for a successful house hack and you'll be off to the races! 

    Reach out if you want to chat more about different options! 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Welcome to the site, and the State of AZ! Your license will give you a small advantage when doing investing, but not much. I would go ahead and start down the Realtor path, while at the same time saving up money. Look for those deals that no one else wants and start to learn about everything RE related....

    This forum is a goldmine for someone like you.....

    Good luck!

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Congrats on getting your license, It definitely opens up a lot of doors and possibilities when it comes to investing. For big time investors, the perks of having a license might not make sense for them, but for someone starting out it can be fruitful. Some personal benefits I have seen are:

    1. You meet sellers that want to list their home, but you make them an offer that they would take first. 

    2. You get access to the MLS and public record data that make finding new listings, comps, and property info a lot easier and accessible.

    3. You can use your portion of the commissions as a tax free seller's assist instead. I have personally saved about 50k just by purchasing homes with a license. 

    That being said, there is nothing more valuable than having a good mentor and someone who has been investing for a while. It could be your broker or someone completely outside of the Agent space. Find the mentor and enjoy the benefits of having a license! Good luck!

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Dan Guenther - 

    Thanks so much for the advice! House Hacking may be a little bit more of a challenge for me because I am a family of 4. But I'll look more into it and see if I can come up with some creative ways to make that work! 

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    It's not letting me tag anyone else who has posted..

    So thanks to everyone for the Warm Welcomes and the amazing advice thus far! I cant wait to hear more!

  • Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Hi Sophia! Like you I am also in Phoenix, Arizona and recently got my license back in December. This month I started listening to the bigger pockets podcast which led me here. I would love to join you if you ever want to go to any investor meet ups/conferences. I know going to places when you don't know anyone can be overwhelming or maybe that's just me haha. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix AZ · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Hi Sophia! I too relocated from Oregon to Arizona three years ago, and I must say that the investment market in this area is quite impressive. There are a multitude of avenues and opportunities to explore when it comes to investing in properties. I am also a licensed agent and my focus is primarily on working with investors. I would love to connect with you to offer guidance and share ideas that could be beneficial in your investment journey.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.