Relatively new investor in State College, PA

Relatively new investor in State College, PA

Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 99 votes

Hey all, I'm a relatively new investor in the State College, PA area (home of Penn State). I've been using BP for about three months since I found it from Pete at Mr. Money Mustache and simultaneously from a Google search for "50% rule".

I'm a contractor by day (current focus is insulation/air sealing and mechanical systems), but my goal is to be financially independent by 2017 at the latest. I established that goal prior to my knowledge of BP and the ability of investors to significantly speed up financial goals. I'm driving hard with a rather singular focus on my goal.

I want to be financially independent by 2017 for three reasons: 1) my daughter will be 5 and I want to be around for her as she is growing up, 2) I want to hike the Appalachian Trail with my dad and 3) I've learned that life can be very short and I want to experience so much of what this awesome planet has to offer.

After running all the numbers, short of catching one of those crazy dot com stocks in the late 90's (and selling before it's too late) or starting something like FaceBook (or probably Bigger Pockets!?!), I think REI is the way to go.

I feel that 2014 will really show me if it is possible to exceed my previously stated goal. Most of my purchases have been by using equity or personal cash positions. I plan to work with more investors and branch out from my current fix-and-hold MO to include some flips. Because of investors, I should be closing on Flip #1 by Feb 7.

My buy-and-hold strategy has had me purchasing local SFH and small MF properties. I am intrigued by @Ali Boone and @Mehran Kamari's posts and podcast and am currently considering buy-and-hold investing outside of my local market for slightly better return than the local market. I'm just trying to find more information about exactly HOW to accomplish out-of-the-area investments.

I think BP is awesome and it's so nice to be 'surrounded' by like minded people. Most of my colleagues and friends think I'm crazy, foolish and on the wrong track. My family (parents and siblings) have finally come to terms with my plans; my wife is entirely on board, so long as I'm home for dinner. I've come to realize that my colleagues and friends simply don't have the right mind set for real estate investment -- even though they have no problems investing in the stock market. I really take comfort knowing there is an entire community that doesn't think I'm crazy.

3Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
12y

Hi @Liam Goble,

I love your reasons for becoming financially independent. They are quite compelling and motivating!

Glad to hear that you want to get started in real estate investing. It's a great time to be building your real estate portfolio. The buy-and-hold strategy is definitely the best wealth building strategy out there. It is historically tried and true, and offers some of the best benefits (leverage, depreciation, cash-flow, etc.)

Don't listen to your "friends" that think you're crazy. I think they're the ones who are crazy for not recognizing the incredible opportunity available today (and possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity given the low interest rates, and good deals you will find today.)

I have a two-page "Purchase Process Checklist" that I'd be happy to send you which you'll find helpful. Just send me a PM.

Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide as well as my 10 Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing.

Continues success!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    12y

    Hi @Liam Goble,

    I love your reasons for becoming financially independent. They are quite compelling and motivating!

    Glad to hear that you want to get started in real estate investing. It's a great time to be building your real estate portfolio. The buy-and-hold strategy is definitely the best wealth building strategy out there. It is historically tried and true, and offers some of the best benefits (leverage, depreciation, cash-flow, etc.)

    Don't listen to your "friends" that think you're crazy. I think they're the ones who are crazy for not recognizing the incredible opportunity available today (and possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity given the low interest rates, and good deals you will find today.)

    I have a two-page "Purchase Process Checklist" that I'd be happy to send you which you'll find helpful. Just send me a PM.

    Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide as well as my 10 Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing.

    Continues success!

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Hey @Liam Goble, welcome to BiggerPockets!

    I want to thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I really enjoyed reading your post, it's kind of invigorating. I'm also glad that my story and trail left here on BP has sparked some interest in out-of-state investing, sweet!

    Seems like you're on point and I don't have any doubt that you'll reach your goals. Glad to have you here on the site and I hope I'll see more of you around here in the future!

  • Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    @Marco Santarelli Thanks for the advice. I admit that my investment focus has been evolving over the past few years, but my 'friends' haven't evolved over the same time period. I really enjoy my 'stock' friends, but they simply don't understand REI or cash flow. Right around the time I started REI, my contracting company (it's an employee owned company, I am one of the founders), hit a cash crunch, so I quickly learned the advantage of cash flow vs. equity.

    I've been looking at your website, I'm intrigued by some of the properties you have for sale, especially in the Memphis area. I spent a very brief weekend there this past September for a Bryant factory tour. Quite an intriguing area.

    @Mehran K. Thanks for writing back. I'd like to connect to discuss your experiences investing out-of-state. The State College area is able to post pretty good ROI, but when I see some of the numbers for out-of-state investment w/ property management, the ROI is simply amazing. Part of my success will hinge on investment out of my current market. Do you have any posts you could point me to which would start me on the path to out-of-state investment? Thanks.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    NP, it seems like you've already stumbled across a lot of the good stuff if you've read Ali's blogs and some of my topics on the forums. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper using the Search tool that you'll find some good stuff.

    If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM and I'll try and answer them for you. Or you can also create a topic of your own.

  • Sheffield, IL · Member since 2012 · 85 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    I am you, just maybe a couple years down the road. Most of my properties are out of state, and I use a twice-a-month process to make sure properties (and managers) stay on track. Would be glad to share if you want to PM me.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Liam Goble Thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! If you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts."

    See you around the site!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Liam , and welcome to BP! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you’ll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Hi @Liam Goble are you still in the State College area? I invest in the Philly market, but have been presented with a possible deal in Lewistown PA. I don't know enough about that area. Are you familiar with the market?

  • Investor · South Jersey, NJ · Member since 2013 · 338 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP,

    Seems like you have a great strategy. I am sure your rehab costs will be very low also, due to your expertise. Great luck, I am in the Philly metro area.

    See you around.

  • Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    @Rhonda Jones I am slightly familiar with the market.  I've considered investing in Lewistown, but haven't done so yet.  There is a hospital in Lewistown, but that's about it.  Lewistown is a 'bedroom' community for State College and Harrisburg, though located closer to State College.  I have focused more on Philipsburg and Tyrone, but am shifting investments to Bellefonte right now.

    What questions do you have about Lewistown?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    I did a little market research. It is quite small and looks like a strong rental community. Average rents are lower than what I am used to in Philly; however the properties I am looking at are being sold at less than 30K each. I wasn't able to see property tax info, although I searched a few websites.

    Is it a significant market for Section 8 housing? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Yorba Linda, CA · Member since 2012 · 336 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    @Liam Goble 

    Welcome fellow Bigger Pockets member! This is a great forum and I am sure it will help you learn many facets of the real estate investment world. I purchased my first investment property over 40 years ago and only wish that I had a resource like BP community when I got started! So you are in a good company.

    Some say that your net-worth equals your network, and this is the place to make right connections. You should also find investors locally and network with them face-to-face. Find people close to you using MEET feature. Also, look for investor meetings on Meetup.

    All the best!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome, I too love your reasons, and thanks for taking me back to State College. I taught at Penn state and at that hospital in Lewistown years ago when I was in school. My first solo fixer upper was on 322 in port Matilda. I am sure the area has changed tons since then though and probably a little less small town feel then I recall. I hope you tell me Meyers dairy is still open. On the REI front lots of info here and we will enjoy hearing your progress.

  • Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    @Rhonda Jones Yes, rents would be lower than Philly, but should still cash flow.  Properties less than $30k will probably need some work.  You should be able to get the work completed for less than you're used to in Philly.  I'm unsure the Section 8 market in Lewistown.

    @Colleen F.       I moved to State College in 2000 for school...havent left yet.  There is still a small town feel, though not what it used to be.  Bellefonte is picking itself up.  Even Philipsburg is borderline on it's way back (still TBD).  Meyers is still there, but prices have gone up (I think it's now $3.15 for a large sundae).  

    @Edward Synicky Thanks for your Net worth = network.  I'm (slowly) learning that point.  I also realized that there is very little harm in asking.  Worst case, someone says 'no.'

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Liam Goble welcome to BiggerPockets! Yes, I agree that we should surround ourselves with like minded people. I hope you enjoy your stay here. Definitely jump into the forums and ask any questions you have related to real estate investing.

    If you like, you can check this quick guide to learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · State College, PA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Liam,

    I enjoyed reading your post even though it is quite dated by now.  I am new to BP and also new to Real Estate Investing.  A friend and I recently made the decision to begin our journey into real estate investing.  I live in State College and I've just recently acquired my first property with a co-investor outside of this area.  It would be very nice to catch up with you sometime to chat.  PM me if you'd like.  I hope to hear you are making progress towards your personal goals!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.