Engineer by day - REI newbie by night (SF Bay Area)

Engineer by day - REI newbie by night (SF Bay Area)

Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hi, I'm Zack. My day job is software engineering where I build iPhone, iPad apps and web apps.

I've always been interested in REI. I own one residential rental and am interested in acquiring more. I am fortunate to have a brother and father who are contractors.

Beyond that I am very interested to learn more about the software landscape in this space. With a couple of successful startups under my belt I'm looking for the next idea. Any help from the community on ideas for what is needed and wanted software-wise in the REI space would be much appreciated!

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Hi Zack,

Welcome to Biggerpockets. I'm not sure where you want to invest, but I'm afraid you might be a little late to the REI party for our area. We have a meetup coming up in Oakland on 2/19. Come join us if you can. @J. Martin is our fearless event organizer. He can fill you in on the upcoming event.

I have a friend who lives in Lafayette and invests in Concord. You guys are basically next door neighbors. He and his wife own 10 SFHs in Concord. All were bought between 2008-2012. They own a law firm in Concord. He's a very knowledgeable guy. I can introduce you to him if you're interested in learning about real estate investment and bankruptcy laws.

Congrats on finding a real estate goldmine website. Now, it's mining time.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Zack C.

    Welcome. Apps calculating ARV, totaling repairs etc. would be a help. Build your foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 50 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info.

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Zack,

    Welcome to Biggerpockets. I'm not sure where you want to invest, but I'm afraid you might be a little late to the REI party for our area. We have a meetup coming up in Oakland on 2/19. Come join us if you can. @J. Martin is our fearless event organizer. He can fill you in on the upcoming event.

    I have a friend who lives in Lafayette and invests in Concord. You guys are basically next door neighbors. He and his wife own 10 SFHs in Concord. All were bought between 2008-2012. They own a law firm in Concord. He's a very knowledgeable guy. I can introduce you to him if you're interested in learning about real estate investment and bankruptcy laws.

    Congrats on finding a real estate goldmine website. Now, it's mining time.

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Paul Timmins - thanks for the app suggestions!

    @Account Closed - yeah I get the distinct impression that a buy and hold strategy in the SF East Bay makes no sense right now for SFH. Might be time to keep the powder dry. I'll send you a direct message on your offer to connect with your friend - thanks!

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Zack C. ! We look forward to having you as an active member of the community! Learn all you can from this tremendous resource to increase your rate of success thru the roof!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Zack C. ,
    and as @Account Closed said, this site is a great place to get started. We are having a meetup in a couple weeks in Oakland, (although I will be modifying the location to somewhere nearby - but will be announcing this shortly. Same date though.) Minh, sorry you can't make it. Was looking forward to chatting with you again. But family first..

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/114766-east-bay-meetup---wed-2-16-14-in-oakland

    Zack, you may want to download the redfin app if you haven't already and take a look at what it's missing. I think pulling everything together into one website would be useful in my mind... but I don't know how feasible this might be...

    One site which consolidates MLS listings (redfin.com, zillow.com), demographic data like distribution of family size, rental unit composition (city-data.com) rental comps for closed leases (rent-ometer.com, zillow.com), on-market rentals nearby (CL), walkscore/bikescore/transitscore (walkscore.com), etc...

    Of course, right now, these all have their proprietary models.. maybe you can just throw them a few pennies to aggregate it, or justify that the aggregated information is your own product.. (not sure how the law works there.. I'm sure you have a much better idea!) Maybe you can make proprietary scores based on a combination of all those indicators, like "investment value", "liveability", "neighbors" etc. Was just thinking about it the other day, but I'm not going to be doing it in this decade myself, so have at it! Promise you'll buy me a pint if you make a million dollars off it...!

    Anyway, welcome to the site, and hope to meet you soon, or see on the forums at a minimum..

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Fantastic idea feedback @J. Martin ! I'll be digesting these ideas and others. Hope to make it to a meet up at some point also.

    Have a great weekend.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2011 · 111 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    Zack,

    I have some ideas to create apps to help direct tenant's repair requests to the proper people while letting keeping them and the owner/manager informed of the process.

    Please get in touch,

    Kevin

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Kevin Perk - Great… I'll send message you a message.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.