Hi! I'm happy to finally join the community!

Hi! I'm happy to finally join the community!

New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hi! I am Brandi. Been listening to bigger pockets for about a month now (literally everyday, at every moment I have spare time LoL) and am learning a lot. I have been interested in real estate investing for a long time, but never really had the community, capital, or understanding of how. I've dabbled in learning different areas before, but never been focused. I want to change that this year. Throughout my back and forth with real estate, I've always come back to small multifamily properties. To me, having one mortgage payment for 2 - 4 houses (basically) always seemed interesting and like something that would give me more bang for my buck. 

After listening to hours of the different BP podcasts, I decided to just go ahead and join so I can have more community for guidance and learning and moving towards my first deal. I have a goal of purchasing a small multifamily this year, so I want to start making the steps to make that happen. Glad to be here and cant wait to network and learn!

5Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Jaycee GreenePro Member
Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
1y

another expensive area ;-)

The DMV has more 2-4 families, so I checked out a few. I know it's over your budget, but is this the kind of property that would interest you: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/194-Joliet...? Meaning, if you find something similar/somewhere else (in another market) closer to $300k, you'd be interested. Thanks.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi! I am Brandi. Been listening to bigger pockets for about a month now (literally everyday, at every moment I have spare time LoL) and am learning a lot. I have been interested in real estate investing for a long time, but never really had the community, capital, or understanding of how. I've dabbled in learning different areas before, but never been focused. I want to change that this year. Throughout my back and forth with real estate, I've always come back to small multifamily properties. To me, having one mortgage payment for 2 - 4 houses (basically) always seemed interesting and like something that would give me more bang for my buck. 

    After listening to hours of the different BP podcasts, I decided to just go ahead and join so I can have more community for guidance and learning and moving towards my first deal. I have a goal of purchasing a small multifamily this year, so I want to start making the steps to make that happen. Glad to be here and cant wait to network and learn!

    Hi @Brandi Jefferson, welcome to the BP Forum! What is your price range for the small MF and are you looking turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"? Are you looking to "house hack" and are you looking in Tampa or somewhere else?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    Hi Jaycee,

    Tampa doesn't have much inventory on MF, so I'm starting my research outside my market, and learning what I would need to make that happen, since house hacking is likely not an option. I am focused on building capital at the moment since it wouldn't be a primary residence for me, so I want to stay under $300K. I was preapproved with that amount before, but it was for a single family, primary residence about six months ago. Not much has changed in my life, but if I now have to finance a rental property vs primary home, my options change. 

    I'm currently renting and when  decided I wanted to focus on real estate investing, I decided not to buy in Tampa because of the low MF inventory and in home house hacking is not for me. LoL So really trying to learn what I can, gain some capital, and see what my options could be for the year.

    I'd like turnkey and long term renters in place, as that seems like a good way to get started as a rookie. 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    1y

    Hi @Brandi Jefferson, welcome to the Tampa Bay area and BP! If you are looking to house hack in our local neck of the woods, I recommend reaching out to @Josh Green. He has helped a ton of BP members successfully house hack and has done it himself as well and can provide you with invaluable experience. Feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions regarding lending! 

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi Jaycee,

    Tampa doesn't have much inventory on MF, so I'm starting my research outside my market, and learning what I would need to make that happen, since house hacking is likely not an option. I am focused on building capital at the moment since it wouldn't be a primary residence for me, so I want to stay under $300K. I was preapproved with that amount before, but it was for a single family, primary residence about six months ago. Not much has changed in my life, but if I now have to finance a rental property vs primary home, my options change. 

    I'm currently renting and when  decided I wanted to focus on real estate investing, I decided not to buy in Tampa because of the low MF inventory and in home house hacking is not for me. LoL So really trying to learn what I can, gain some capital, and see what my options could be for the year.

    I'd like turnkey and long term renters in place, as that seems like a good way to get started as a rookie. 

    OK, since you don't see Tampa as an MF option at this point (maybe @Raymond J. Rodrigues' recommendation may change this), but my next question would be, are there any cities/markets where 1 of the following are true: 1) You have family/friends that live there, 2) You travel there frequently (either for vacation, work, etc.), or 3) Somewhere else you've lived before AND know the area well? If one of those is true, my usual recommendation to my CFO clients is to start in those markets.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi Jaycee,

    Tampa doesn't have much inventory on MF, so I'm starting my research outside my market, and learning what I would need to make that happen, since house hacking is likely not an option. I am focused on building capital at the moment since it wouldn't be a primary residence for me, so I want to stay under $300K. I was preapproved with that amount before, but it was for a single family, primary residence about six months ago. Not much has changed in my life, but if I now have to finance a rental property vs primary home, my options change. 

    I'm currently renting and when  decided I wanted to focus on real estate investing, I decided not to buy in Tampa because of the low MF inventory and in home house hacking is not for me. LoL So really trying to learn what I can, gain some capital, and see what my options could be for the year.

    I'd like turnkey and long term renters in place, as that seems like a good way to get started as a rookie. 

    OK, since you don't see Tampa as an MF option at this point (maybe @Raymond J. Rodrigues' recommendation may change this), but my next question would be, are there any cities/markets where 1 of the following are true: 1) You have family/friends that live there, 2) You travel there frequently (either for vacation, work, etc.), or 3) Somewhere else you've lived before AND know the area well? If one of those is true, my usual recommendation to my CFO clients is to start in those markets.


     Ha! Tampa was my most visited place which is why I moved there. LoL Otherwise I'd have to look into other places. So far no where comes to mind, but I'll do some research. Thanks!

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi Jaycee,

    Tampa doesn't have much inventory on MF, so I'm starting my research outside my market, and learning what I would need to make that happen, since house hacking is likely not an option. I am focused on building capital at the moment since it wouldn't be a primary residence for me, so I want to stay under $300K. I was preapproved with that amount before, but it was for a single family, primary residence about six months ago. Not much has changed in my life, but if I now have to finance a rental property vs primary home, my options change. 

    I'm currently renting and when  decided I wanted to focus on real estate investing, I decided not to buy in Tampa because of the low MF inventory and in home house hacking is not for me. LoL So really trying to learn what I can, gain some capital, and see what my options could be for the year.

    I'd like turnkey and long term renters in place, as that seems like a good way to get started as a rookie. 

    OK, since you don't see Tampa as an MF option at this point (maybe @Raymond J. Rodrigues' recommendation may change this), but my next question would be, are there any cities/markets where 1 of the following are true: 1) You have family/friends that live there, 2) You travel there frequently (either for vacation, work, etc.), or 3) Somewhere else you've lived before AND know the area well? If one of those is true, my usual recommendation to my CFO clients is to start in those markets.


     Ha! Tampa was my most visited place which is why I moved there. LoL Otherwise I'd have to look into other places. So far no where comes to mind, but I'll do some research. Thanks!


     Where did you move from when you came to Tampa?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi Jaycee,

    Tampa doesn't have much inventory on MF, so I'm starting my research outside my market, and learning what I would need to make that happen, since house hacking is likely not an option. I am focused on building capital at the moment since it wouldn't be a primary residence for me, so I want to stay under $300K. I was preapproved with that amount before, but it was for a single family, primary residence about six months ago. Not much has changed in my life, but if I now have to finance a rental property vs primary home, my options change. 

    I'm currently renting and when  decided I wanted to focus on real estate investing, I decided not to buy in Tampa because of the low MF inventory and in home house hacking is not for me. LoL So really trying to learn what I can, gain some capital, and see what my options could be for the year.

    I'd like turnkey and long term renters in place, as that seems like a good way to get started as a rookie. 

    OK, since you don't see Tampa as an MF option at this point (maybe @Raymond J. Rodrigues' recommendation may change this), but my next question would be, are there any cities/markets where 1 of the following are true: 1) You have family/friends that live there, 2) You travel there frequently (either for vacation, work, etc.), or 3) Somewhere else you've lived before AND know the area well? If one of those is true, my usual recommendation to my CFO clients is to start in those markets.


     Ha! Tampa was my most visited place which is why I moved there. LoL Otherwise I'd have to look into other places. So far no where comes to mind, but I'll do some research. Thanks!


     Where did you move from when you came to Tampa?


     The DMV area. 

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    another expensive area ;-)

    The DMV has more 2-4 families, so I checked out a few. I know it's over your budget, but is this the kind of property that would interest you: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/194-Joliet...? Meaning, if you find something similar/somewhere else (in another market) closer to $300k, you'd be interested. Thanks.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:

    another expensive area ;-)

    The DMV has more 2-4 families, so I checked out a few. I know it's over your budget, but is this the kind of property that would interest you: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/194-Joliet...? Meaning, if you find something similar/somewhere else (in another market) closer to $300k, you'd be interested. Thanks.

    Yea. Just need to find that market. LoL. My initial research has been outside OKC, Killeen, TX, and maybe Ohio. Still need to figure out which market is best. I'm not looking for immediate cash flow since I'm looking for long term investing, but if I can get good ROI within the first 2 years, I'd be ok with that. 
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    Great. How did you pick those areas? Do you have a personal connection to either of those cities/markets?

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Welcome!

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jaycee Greene:

    Great. How did you pick those areas? Do you have a personal connection to either of those cities/markets?


     Not really, mostly research alone. OKC has good growth in jobs, population, and economy. Plus there's sports there to continue to boost the area. Killeen is a military area, so that monthly rent would almost be guaranteed. I have people who have been stationed there before, so I have a decent idea on areas to look in around the base. So that area is based mainly on ease of longer term (ish) rental income, with about 2-3 years stability depending on how often people PCS and the (somewhat) quality of tenants (bc you never know, even with military). I just started researching Ohio, mainly bc of all the jobs and big companies there. Lots of growth happening and will comtinue. Haven't completely finished researching so not sure what area yet, but it seems promising. 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sabrina Marie:

    Welcome!

    Thank you!
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin + San Antonio, TX · Member since 2024 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hey Brandi! So grateful you introduced yourself.. what's the one burning question about investing that keeps you up at night?

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 250 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    Hi @Brandi Jefferson, 

    Welcome to bigger pockets. Congratulations to you for setting yourself a goal and having a plan in place to execute it. 

    Other than the option of one mortgage on 2-4 properties, what else leans you towards MFH vs SFH?

    The TX market is a GREAT market to start in. It's going to offer Strong economic growth, Appreciation (especially in DFW), Tax advantages (no state income tax), and a Growing population, including infrastructure and amenities. 

    Looking forward to seeing more from you and your success.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome aboard Brandi!

  • Metro NY + New Bedford · Member since 2022 · 294 posts · 216 votes
    1y

    Hang on for the ride, Brandi!!!

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi! I am Brandi. Been listening to bigger pockets for about a month now (literally everyday, at every moment I have spare time LoL) and am learning a lot. I have been interested in real estate investing for a long time, but never really had the community, capital, or understanding of how. I've dabbled in learning different areas before, but never been focused. I want to change that this year. Throughout my back and forth with real estate, I've always come back to small multifamily properties. To me, having one mortgage payment for 2 - 4 houses (basically) always seemed interesting and like something that would give me more bang for my buck. 

    After listening to hours of the different BP podcasts, I decided to just go ahead and join so I can have more community for guidance and learning and moving towards my first deal. I have a goal of purchasing a small multifamily this year, so I want to start making the steps to make that happen. Glad to be here and cant wait to network and learn!


     I'm in the same boat as you Brandi! Nice to meet you I'm almost halfway through "The book on rental property investing" by Brandon Turner and it's really open my eyes to real estate! 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Meghan Carson:

    Hi @Brandi Jefferson, 

    Welcome to bigger pockets. Congratulations to you for setting yourself a goal and having a plan in place to execute it. 

    Other than the option of one mortgage on 2-4 properties, what else leans you towards MFH vs SFH?

    The TX market is a GREAT market to start in. It's going to offer Strong economic growth, Appreciation (especially in DFW), Tax advantages (no state income tax), and a Growing population, including infrastructure and amenities. 

    Looking forward to seeing more from you and your success.

    Earning potential and cash flow seems like it would be easier to obtain if the numbers are right. Also, price range and what I could afford, MFH would be easier for my ROI.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandi Jefferson:

    Hi! I am Brandi. Been listening to bigger pockets for about a month now (literally everyday, at every moment I have spare time LoL) and am learning a lot. I have been interested in real estate investing for a long time, but never really had the community, capital, or understanding of how. I've dabbled in learning different areas before, but never been focused. I want to change that this year. Throughout my back and forth with real estate, I've always come back to small multifamily properties. To me, having one mortgage payment for 2 - 4 houses (basically) always seemed interesting and like something that would give me more bang for my buck. 

    After listening to hours of the different BP podcasts, I decided to just go ahead and join so I can have more community for guidance and learning and moving towards my first deal. I have a goal of purchasing a small multifamily this year, so I want to start making the steps to make that happen. Glad to be here and cant wait to network and learn!


    Hi Brandi, welcome to the BiggerPockets community! If you're open to expanding your options, you may want to check the Columbus OH market. Columbus has been one of those markets where we're seeing great opportunities in the small multifamily space. Great macroeconomics overall - population and job growth and major companies moving here. And there are still deals here that cashflow and have appreciation potential at affordable price points. Happy to send over some resources on why Columbus is a great real estate market to invest in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.