Hi you've gotten a new believer from Worcester, MA

Hi you've gotten a new believer from Worcester, MA

Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes

Hi all, I woke up this morning knowing I wanted to be in the real estate investing business. I recently got my BS in Finance and Accounting and started my full time job in consulting. However I've been realizing lately that I need to be committed to real estate if I want to accumulate wealth! The first thing I need to do is get myself educated and I would truly appreciate if anyone could refer me to any helpful sources of information, and guide! Thank you and I'm happy to be a part of the community!

1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

Hi Vi,

Welcome to BP. No doubt this is the best real estate site out there.

By the way, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday? JK. I've heard that Worcester is a great market for real estate investors. If you need to borrow some "hot" money, @Ann Bellamy is your go to gal. If you need to borrow some cheap money, Uncle Sam is your go to guy.

There are a ton of very knowledgeable people on this site, and they are very helpful. If you have any questions, ask away. Some will help you out.

Welcome aboard.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi Vi and welcome to BP.If your interested in REI you've come to the right place.There are many people here from the MA area and Worcester is a busy market for investing.Go to the learn tab at the top of the page and go listen to some podcasts.They are a fantastic source of info on a wide variety of topics.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Vi Lai - We're glad you decided to join us here at BiggerPockets. Hopefully we can help you successfully navigate your real estate ventures. Good luck!

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    Hi Vi, welcome to BP.

    This is a great resource to learn and meet lots of great contacts. Make sure to read all the articles on the main blog, listen to all the podcasts and be active in these forums to learn a lot about all aspects of real estate fast. Also make sure to connect with people here to build up your network locally and all over. We have a lot of active MA members here so make sure to seek them out. Setting up keywords for geography will help see the local threads.

    Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor meetings we have around here. You should definitely check out the Black Diamond meeting in Worcester. That one is a no brainer, if you want to drive a little there are a bunch of stuff up and down the east from NH down to the Cape.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Jim Montville hi Jim. Thank you for your warm welcome! I see that you're from Worcester as well. I totally agree with you. I believe Worcester is great for real estate investing with many developing projects going on here. I will definitely explore this page to educate myself :)

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. hi Josh. Thank you for taking your time to reply to my post. And more importantly, thank you for creating this wonderful site! Biggerpockets will always be my go-to page throughout my REI career.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Shaun Reilly wonderful recommendations!!! I will definitely use this page to learn and network. Also thank you for your suggestions on the offline networking events. Very helpful! To prove that I really take your networking advice to heart, I will follow you and learn from you now! Haha :).

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome, Vi, my partners invest in Worcester and do a great job, they like the Worcester market, and we have a growing contingent of Worcester and Central MA people here on BP.

    Depending on whether you are interested in buy and hold investing, or in some form of flipping, you may want to consider joining the local Landlord Assns. You don't have to own property to join, I'm pretty sure. nwcla.com is one of them. Also, the Black Diamond that Shaun mentioned is in my signature, we welcome newcomers and you will meet many other Worcester area investors, both buy and hold and flippers.

    I think you should go to the "Learn" tab as Jim mentioned, there are lots of resources in addition to the Podcasts, and you will end up with almost a degree in real estate investing.

    Good luck!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Ann Bellamy thanks for your genuine, helpful advice Ann! I just checked out Landlord Associations after reading your comment. I definitely think joining this group will help me stay informed with legislation and get started with my real estate education. I also saw that you're one of the organizers from the Black Diamond. I'm looking forward to attending a networking event and meet you soon!

    Best,

    Vi.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Vi Lai

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Worcester" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 192 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Hi Vi Lia, welcome to BP.

    The community here can definitely help you navigate the REI waters. Search around and ask questions as needed.

    The information I've got from fellow members has been invaluable,. Good luck!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Awesome tips Brandon. Thank you so much! @Brandon Turner

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Scott Demots Thanks Scott! I appreciate everyone's help. I didn't expect to get so many helpful tips and connection when I first posted it. I feel awesome and motivated!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard, Vi. I second the podcasts. They make learning easy when you are out driving. BP is the best place to learn real estate investing that I've found. We're glad you've joined us.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Thanks Jon! and I'm glad to be accepted by BP community :) @Jon Klaus

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Vi,

    Welcome to BP. No doubt this is the best real estate site out there.

    By the way, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday? JK. I've heard that Worcester is a great market for real estate investors. If you need to borrow some "hot" money, @Ann Bellamy is your go to gal. If you need to borrow some cheap money, Uncle Sam is your go to guy.

    There are a ton of very knowledgeable people on this site, and they are very helpful. If you have any questions, ask away. Some will help you out.

    Welcome aboard.

  • Investor · Clinton, MA · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Welcome Vi! I'm a new investor and I just closed on my first multi-faimly property in Worcester. I spent the weekend gutting a kitchen, painting and updating bedrooms, and spending money on a newly minted Lowe's credit card! I decided in January that I was going to take the plunge and within 3 months, have picked up four "doors" of rental properties. Time to save up for that next down payment!

    BP is an amazing site to get you ready for your first deal. Don't get trapped in the education stage though!(there is so much information to absorb that you can spend a lifetime learning and never get out there and make it happen)

    Enjoy and welcome to the community.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @Minh L. thanks Minh! haha I guess I did! A lot of people wake up everyday not knowing what to have for breakfast and I got to wake up knowing I wanted to be in REI! :D

    Thanks for your tips. I'm sure I can learn a lot from the BP community, including yourself. I've been both amazed and impressed at how welcoming and helpful everyone is so far. Love and appreciate all the help!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Worcester, MA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    12y
    Justin Trudell Congrats on closing your first deal Justin! I can imagine how exciting it must have been. You're official now! :) I agree with you! The education stage is important because it's like a strong foundation to a house. I am acquiring knowledge to build confidence and get over my beginners fear. However I know that I need to take action soon and pick up the momentum. Thanks for your advice and good luck on your next investment! "Go Get It Tiger" :)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.