New Investor Ready to Learn and Grow Portfolio

New Investor Ready to Learn and Grow Portfolio

New Orleans · Member since 2022 · 1 post · 3 votes

Hello everyone,

I’m Shaquille, a first-generation Jamaican American and native New Yorker now living in New Orleans. I own a multi-family property and am eager to expand into flipping homes and building a buy-and-hold portfolio. My background is in education, public policy, and community engagement.

I recently became a father, and my family is my biggest motivation for building long-term wealth and creating opportunities for the future. I joined BiggerPockets to connect with like-minded investors, learn from those with more experience, and share my own journey along the way.

3Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
1y

Welcome, I moved to New Orleans 8 years ago and buy rental properties and wholesaler. Let me know if I can help with anything. We have some great meetups here that I recommend you go to if you want to build your network. We have NOREIA in Metairie, Westbank Real Estate Investors in Gretna, St Bernard Parish Real Estate Investors in Chalmette and The Northshore REIA in Slidell. I go to most of them so might see you there.

Home Buyer Louisiana4.853 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    1y

    Welcome, I moved to New Orleans 8 years ago and buy rental properties and wholesaler. Let me know if I can help with anything. We have some great meetups here that I recommend you go to if you want to build your network. We have NOREIA in Metairie, Westbank Real Estate Investors in Gretna, St Bernard Parish Real Estate Investors in Chalmette and The Northshore REIA in Slidell. I go to most of them so might see you there.

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.853 Reviews
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome, Shaquille.

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2012 · 968 posts · 747 votes
    1y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    I’m a local real estate investor and broker licensed in both Louisiana and Mississippi with over a decade of experience in the business. I work with buyers, sellers, and investors across Greater New Orleans, and I’m always glad to connect with other locals.

    Here are a few quick tips to get you started:

    Start with the Ultimate Beginner’s Guide. It is free and will give you a solid foundation:  Read it here.

    Find local members. Connect with other investors in our area:  Search members here.

    Join or attend local meetups. Check Meetup.com for real estate groups in New Orleans.

    The podcasts, blog, and forums are full of useful information, and setting keyword alerts will help you stay on top of topics that matter to you.

    If you ever need insight on our market, introductions to trusted local contacts, or help evaluating a deal in the area, feel free to tag me here on BP.

    Happy investing!

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 234 posts · 100 votes
    1y

    Hi @Shaquille Dunbar!

    Welcome to BP and congrats on the new addition to your family! That’s a huge motivator for building long-term wealth! Sounds like you’ve already got a great foundation with your multi-family, and branching into both flips and buy-and-holds can give you a nice balance between short-term capital and long-term cash flow.

    Since you’re in New Orleans but thinking about expanding, it might be worth exploring other markets that can give you the returns and inventory you’re after. I work exclusively in the Memphis, TN market, where we see strong demand for both rentals and investor-friendly flips. It’s landlord-friendly, has solid cash flow potential, and the price points make scaling a portfolio more achievable without stretching too thin.

    If you’re looking to build a buy-and-hold portfolio while still taking on flips, Memphis offers:

    • A steady pool of B- and C-class rentals that cash flow well.

    • A strong network of property managers and contractors for out-of-state owners.

    • Consistent buyer demand if you decide to flip.

    Happy to share market insights, connect you with local investor resources, and walk through numbers so you can see if it aligns with your goals. With your community-focused background, I think you’ll really appreciate how much opportunity there is to improve neighborhoods while building wealth.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 446 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Shaquille, and congrats on both the multifamily and fatherhood. Your background in education and community engagement is a real asset, especially in a market like New Orleans where local knowledge and relationships matter.

    Expanding into flips and buy-and-hold is a strong move. Lean on your existing property experience and start networking with local investors, agents, and contractors who understand the nuances of the NOLA market. Happy to support zou on your REI journey!

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 582 posts · 248 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Shaquille! Owning that first multi-family is a big step, and with your background in education and community engagement, youve got a great foundation for flipping and building a solid buy-and-hold portfolio.

    I can relate, becoming a father is a powerful motivator, and it sounds like you’re clear on your “why.” BiggerPockets is a great place to connect with investors who’ve walked that path. you’ll find plenty of folks here willing to share lessons and help you avoid common pitfalls.

    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors555 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.