New to Real Estate · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2025 · 1 post · 6 votes
I’m looking to connect with other investors, share ideas, and learn what strategies are working today. I’m exploring a few options—buying a long-term rental property, house-hacking a new primary (maybe a multi-family) and rent out my current property, or even try short-term rentals for potential higher cash flow and tax benefits.
I'm Excited to learn from this community as I start my real-estate investing journey.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles Area · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 23 votes
11mo
Hi Troy,
Welcome to the BiggerPockets community! It is great to meet you. Real estate has changed significantly over the past few years and strategies that used to work are challenging now. Many long term rentals no longer cash flow without a large cash down payment or simply purchasing with cash. The short term rental market is saturated in many areas and supply is starting to exceed demand. House hacking a small multi-family property and renting your current primary residence is probably your best option at this point. You are in the right place to get all the tools and resources you need to start your real estate journey.
Phoenix offers tremendous opportunities, and this community is a powerful place to learn and connect with other investors. I look forward to hearing about your success.
My focus is on the multifamily brokerage and management space.Feel free to reach out if I can ever be a resource for you. Happy to connect!
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
That’s awesome, Troy! sounds like you’re thinking through this the right way. Each of those strategies has its pros depending on your goals and risk tolerance. Personally, I started by house hacking a small multi-family before expanding into long-term rentals and it gave me a great foundation to learn property management while building equity. Happy to keep the conversation going!
It's a great move to explore different real estate strategies with tax planning in mind. Long-term rentals offer steady depreciation deductions that can offset rental income and lower your taxable earnings. House-hacking allows you to deduct a proportional share of expenses like mortgage interest, utilities, and depreciation while still potentially qualifying for the Section 121 exclusion on the sale of your primary residence. Cost seg and REPS status with LTR will unlock the god mode of tax saving.
Short-term rentals can deliver higher cash flow and unique tax advantages. If you materially participate, you may be able to use property losses to offset other income, especially when leveraging cost segregation and bonus depreciation. Each path has distinct tax implications, so partnering with a real-estate-focused CPA can help you maximize deductions and build long-term wealth efficiently.
This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Short term rentals can be a good way to get into this market. However, be aware that it is Truly a business. It's not necessarily a passive endeavor by any means.
that said, there are some significant tax advantages if you use the short term rental strategy.
New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
11mo
Welcome, Troy! You’re thinking like a true investor already exploring multiple strategies like long-term rentals, house-hacking, and short-term plays shows you're tuned into both cash flow and tax advantages. Phoenix is a dynamic market with strong fundamentals, so you're in a great place to get started.
Keep asking questions, run your numbers, and connect with others here it’ll accelerate your learning fast.
I’m looking to connect with other investors, share ideas, and learn what strategies are working today. I’m exploring a few options—buying a long-term rental property, house-hacking a new primary (maybe a multi-family) and rent out my current property, or even try short-term rentals for potential higher cash flow and tax benefits.
I'm Excited to learn from this community as I start my real-estate investing journey.
Howdy. Are you fully funded and ready to go or looking for funding and direction?
Since you haven't replied to all of the greetings and helpful advice in over 9 days, I'd guess it's a pipe dream. :-)