New Investor in Learning Mode

New Investor in Learning Mode

Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes

Hi all — excited to be here!

I’m at the very beginning of my real estate journey and currently focused on learning the fundamentals before jumping into anything. I’m exploring real estate as a long-term wealth-building strategy and researching rental models (including turnkey and out-of-state investing) to see what aligns best.

I appreciate any insights for someone in the early research stage — happy to learn.

10Reply
644 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6mo

Welcome, Deborah. You're smart to educate yourself first. Understand property classes and know that owning a lot of cheap properties is usually not as profitable as fewer but better properties that are close to you. Cheap properties in the Midwest are cheap for a reason. Higher maintenance, evictions, poor tenant pool. Take your time.

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Deborah Van:

    Hi all — excited to be here!

    I’m at the very beginning of my real estate journey and currently focused on learning the fundamentals before jumping into anything. I’m exploring real estate as a long-term wealth-building strategy and researching rental models (including turnkey and out-of-state investing) to see what aligns best.

    I appreciate any insights for someone in the early research stage — happy to learn.


    Since you’re just starting, it’s smart to focus on learning the fundamentals first. Out-of-state investing, especially in Midwest markets, can be a great way to get cash-flowing rentals without the intense competition you see locally. Duplexes and small multis are a solid place to start, and having a local team, property managers, lenders, and contractors makes it much easier to scale remotely while you’re still learning.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Deborah Van:

    Hi all — excited to be here!

    I’m at the very beginning of my real estate journey and currently focused on learning the fundamentals before jumping into anything. I’m exploring real estate as a long-term wealth-building strategy and researching rental models (including turnkey and out-of-state investing) to see what aligns best.

    I appreciate any insights for someone in the early research stage — happy to learn.

     Good work on getting started @Deborah Van. I would watch a lot of biggerpockets podcasts and ready book by david greene and brandon turner. They were the former BP hosts. 

    I started in 2022 and now own 28 rental units and have sold over 200+ properties within the last 2 years. Find a market you want to invest in (tech growth, job growth, etc) and connect with agent that will connect you with a full team.

    Happy to explain how the process should work. DM me.

  • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
    6mo

    @Arman Ahmed Thank you very much for the tips! Truly grateful.

  • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
    6mo

    @Alfath Ahmed You just started in 2022 and have 28 units?! Congratulations!
    That really gives me hope. I feel like I have so much to learn before I'm comfortable even starting, but your reply is very motivating. Thank you. 

    Just curious -- were you an agent before you became an investor or did you do that for tax purposes? 

    • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Deborah Van:

      @Alfath Ahmed You just started in 2022 and have 28 units?! Congratulations!
      That really gives me hope. I feel like I have so much to learn before I'm comfortable even starting, but your reply is very motivating. Thank you. 

      Just curious -- were you an agent before you became an investor or did you do that for tax purposes? 


       I was an investor and bought 7-units then became an agent because I loved to sell and wanted to look at properties for a living. So i left my engineering job to become an agent and now make 7-8x more than what i used to make as an engineer.

  • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
    6mo

    Hey@Deborah Van welcome! Appreciate you sharing.

    If I were starting out, I’d first figure out what long-term wealth building actually looks like for you. Is it a certain monthly income, retirement, or something else?

    Then look at the different strategies (wholesaling, STR, LTR, small or large multifamily, etc.) and talk to people actively doing the ones you're drawn to so you understand what it really takes.

    From there you can estimate roughly how long it might take to reach your goals with each path and decide which route makes the most sense.

    I personally started with larger multifamily and my first deal was 100+ units, working with an experienced team, so I’m a bit biased there.

    Happy to connect if it’s helpful while you’re figuring things out.

  • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 198 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Deborah Van:

    Hi all — excited to be here!

    I’m at the very beginning of my real estate journey and currently focused on learning the fundamentals before jumping into anything. I’m exploring real estate as a long-term wealth-building strategy and researching rental models (including turnkey and out-of-state investing) to see what aligns best.

    I appreciate any insights for someone in the early research stage — happy to learn.


     Hi Deborah! Welcome. This will either be something you absolutely LOVE or hate. There really is no in-between lol. What is your goals for your investment journey? Looking to just create some additional income for down the line (i.e. pick up some investments and hope to build up a nest egg) or really expand to help retire early? Early stages are fun, like first dates. Butterflies and excitement. Enjoy it and let me know if I can help!

  • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
    6mo

    @Elise Bickel Tauber, thank you so much for saying 'hello.' Your experience is enviable and impressive. I will definitely touch base if I have a question - I'm sure there'll be many. :)

    To answer your question... As someone just over the hill, I am looking to build a nest egg (and teach my children how to do the same) that will also provide an income that allows me to spend winters in a warmer climate. But, not only that - I want to have fun and enjoy life a little - beyond my beautiful (and local) walks in nature, you know? 

    Yes - butterflies and excitement - definitely. I'm going to savor every step (and feeling) of the journey. 
     

      • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
        Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 198 votes
        6mo

        How fantastic! Well I'm here if you need anything at all!

        Building a nice nest egg is smart. Slow and steady growth is the key. I've seen people try to grow too quickly and it's always a mistake!

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Garret Rumbea, thank you! I appreciate you reaching out and saying hello. 

        I would love to start with multi-family. I tried that with Dave Lindahl 10 years ago, but all I got out of it was a boat load of debt. I was naive and, well, let's just say I learned a lot. MF is still on a back burner, as is commercial, but I will likely be starting with something smaller like SF or duplex/fourplex.

        I've been researching Rent to Retirement and may sign up with them, as it seems to be a well-rounded program for learning and investing - helping me with the learning curve. Honestly, right now, I feel I need to learn the lingo first - all the RE terms - so I can speak and understand RE Investors. If I have a Q, I'll be in touch.



        • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
          6mo

          @Deborah Van Ahh no, sorry to hear that. I’ve definitely invested in things that didn’t pan out the way I thought they would either. Always a bummer. 

          I guess I was just stubborn enough to keep going until I figured it out. I also had some help along the way though, so I wasn’t trying to navigate it completely alone.

          Sounds like a good place to start getting back into it, learning the language and all. Wish you the best, and always happy to connect as well.

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Elise Bickel Tauber, thank you for that. That is wise advice for sure, especially since there are some feelings about being late to the game, even though I know any thoughts about 'catching up' are purely nonsense, as everything is relative to one's own journey. 

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Douglas Dolgoff, thank you! I don't feel anywhere close to beginning dialogs with people, but maybe that's an error in thinking. I've always felt I needed head-knowledge from books first, but maybe that's what's held me back from actually beginning for so long. Plus, in all honesty, I don't have the funds to invest right now. Which is why I joined BP - to gain knowledge before jumping into anything, so I have somewhat of a foundation. 

      • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6mo

        Hey Deborah, and welcome!

        How are you going about your learning so far. Are you reading, listening to podcasts, just browsing the forums? One book I always recommend early is The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner - really solid foundation without overwhelming you.

        The other thing I always tell people in research mode is don't wait too long to get a sense of your financing position. You don't need to be ready to buy, but knowing what you'd qualify for and what you're working with for a down payment actually helps you learn smarter. You'll start filtering what strategies and markets are realistic for your situation instead of researching everything all at once.

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        Hi Mohammed, thank you for your message. Yes, basically browsing the forums right now. I'll definitely check out the book by Brandon. Appreciate your advice. 

      • Real Estate Agent · San Francisco · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
        6mo

        Good on you for getting started! BP is definitely the place to be to learn all you can. I especially found these resources helpful when analyzing properties, creating a buy box, and narrowing down your options based on your chosen strategy: BP Analysis Worksheet Resources

        BP Podcasts, Youtube videos, etc will get you going. Good luck!!

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Alfath Ahmed That's great. Flipping partially appeals to me because I imagine that I could experience all the living spaces that I'd like yet never be able to own (or want to!) in a life time. But, I also believe it may more difficult, too. IDK. 

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Lia McCoy Thank you so much your message and resources, Lia - you're very kind. I'll check them out. 

      • Steven GlickBusiness Member
        Lender · Buffalo · Member since 2024 · 115 posts · 33 votes
        6mo

        Welcome to BiggerPockets! As you explore options like turnkey or out-of-state investing, try to focus on understanding the numbers behind each deal like rental income, expenses, financing structure, and realistic reserves. Getting comfortable analyzing those early will make the next steps much clearer. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to walk through financing options, Happy to connect and help.

      • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6mo

        Welcome, Deborah. You're smart to educate yourself first. Understand property classes and know that owning a lot of cheap properties is usually not as profitable as fewer but better properties that are close to you. Cheap properties in the Midwest are cheap for a reason. Higher maintenance, evictions, poor tenant pool. Take your time.

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Steven Glick Thank you for suggestions! 

      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        Good to know, @Eric Gerakos, thanks! I'll keep that in mind when doing research. 

      • Lindsay DavisBusiness Member
        Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 322 posts · 200 votes
        6mo

        @Deborah Van,

        Congrats on getting started! I run a turnkey provider myself (so I’m obviously biased), but I believe you’re in the right direction. Turnkey and out-of-state investing work well with each other, with turnkey being a good way to get your feet wet without having to deal with the headaches of landlording or renovations.

        For some context, a reputable turnkey provider should be vertically integrated. That means they should be doing acquisitions, rehabs, leasing, and property management in-house. One red flag here is outsourcing property management. You really want the firm who you’re buying a property from to be the same one managing it once it’s yours.

        Hope this helps!

      • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
        Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6mo

        Welcome! I’d recommend picking one strategy and one market (local or one out-of-state) and analyzing 20–30 deals with conservative rent/expense numbers so you can quickly see what actually cash flows and what doesn’t.

        Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
      • Member since 2026 · 36 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        @Kerlous Tadres Thank you—that’s great advice. As soon as I learn how to do that, I will. About ten years ago I invested in a coaching program for multifamily real estate, and that’s essentially what I spent my days doing: searching for deals, running the numbers, and discovering that most of them weren’t worth the paper I printed the analysis on.

        It sounds like you’re in a pretty hot area as well, from what I’ve been hearing. Quite a few people have encouraged me to start looking into Ohio.

      • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
        Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
        6mo
        Quote from @Deborah Van:

        Hi all — excited to be here!

        I’m at the very beginning of my real estate journey and currently focused on learning the fundamentals before jumping into anything. I’m exploring real estate as a long-term wealth-building strategy and researching rental models (including turnkey and out-of-state investing) to see what aligns best.

        I appreciate any insights for someone in the early research stage — happy to learn.

        Welcome to BiggerPockets, Deborah! Since you’re just starting out, the best thing you can do right now is soak up as much knowledge as possible and get comfortable analyzing deals and understanding cash flow, property management, and the basics of real estate financing. One market I’d definitely suggest keeping an eye on is Columbus—the market has been amazing for building long-term wealth. The macroeconomics here are really strong with fast population growth, tons of job creation, and major companies like Intel, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Honda, and LG expanding or relocating, which keeps demand high and drives appreciation. You can still find single-family homes or small multifamily properties in the $120K–$180K range that hit the 1% rule, cash flow immediately, and have excellent long-term equity potential. Even if you’re looking at turnkey or out-of-state options, Columbus gives a nice balance of affordability, cash flow, and growth potential. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!



      • Investor · Washington D.C. · Member since 2010 · 48 posts · 21 votes
        6mo

        Welcome Deborah! I would say you are on the right track! Learn all you can and build relationships and you will get more clarity on the direction you want to go. I agree with lots of the other answers and say small MF is a great and more leveraged way to start, hope this helps.

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.