New Member - Boston, MA

19 Replies

Hey Everybody,

I stumbled across BP last week and have been perusing the forum and listening to podcasts every morning on my way into work. As the title says, I hail from Boston (born and raised), I'm 29 years old, and I work as a Product Manager in the ad/tech space. Before you ask, yes, I build technology that nags you into buying things on the internet :)

After a few difficult years, I'm in a great position to start investing and thinking about my future. Thus far, I've learned the very little that I know from my dad (had success with real estate investments in the 80s/90s), a friend of mine (owns 5 condos in the Boston area), and this pretty awesome forum.

I've read the introduction to real estate investing, plowed through about 5 of the podcasts, and have been plugging in searches into the forum. I'm very interested in buying property that has long-term value, though the cash flow situation in and around Boston will be an interesting obstacle to navigate. I'm hoping to purchase my first piece of property in the next few months.

Whew! That's more than enough about me. I'm excited to get to know you guys here and become a part of this community

Beau

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

Welcome to BP, @Beau Blinder  

There are a lot of local investors on BP so be sure to set up your keywords so you can see when people are talking about our market.  Also, there are a number of great networking events around the Boston area, including the Black Diamond event (next one is tomorrow night), Success Real Estate Investor (I haven't been to this before but will be attending Wed's meeting in Boston), and you're always welcome to join my quarterly networking event in Woburn.   

Welcome, Beau.  There is lots to learn about the Greater Boston market.  Glad you're doing lots of reading.  It will help a lot if you get to know other investors in the area, Justin is very open and sharing of information, so be sure to go to his event when he has the next one.  If you can make it tomorrow, you'll meet lots of investors, both rehabbers and buy and hold, hope to meet you then.

Hi Beau, welcome to BP.

This is a great place to learn. Make sure to listen to all the BP podcasts, read the articles on the main blog and be active in these forums to learn a ton very quickly about any topic in real estate you want to know more about.

This is also a great place to meet people that can be assets to your business. Lots of great connections all over but we also have a very strong and active contingent here in MA on here so make sure to find them (As mentioned set up some keyword alerts to find out about local topics) and get connected.

Besides doing that on here make sure to get out to some of the many local investor events we have.  As also mentioned the Black Diamond meeting in Waltham tomorrow is a great one to get to.  Justin's meetup is also a really good event so try to get to that.  He just had one and it is quarterly so not as much last minute planning there.  :)

The Boston Area REIA in Medford is another close one to check out. I also enjoy the NEREIA in Chelmsford (Shameless plug: I happen to be the speaker in July). There are many more both North and South of the city so no lack of educational and networking opportunities here!

Hey @Beau Blinder   welcome to BP! I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

The 21 Best Real Estate Investing Books Ever

How to Rent Your House: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

See you around the site!

@Beau Blinder

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Thanks for all the replies guys! It's nice to have such a warm welcome.

@Justin Silverio - thank you for the invite, I'd love to come check out that event the next time you host it.

@Ann Bellamy - thank you as well. Like I said, I couldn't make the event last night, but I'll be at next month's and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in person.

@Shaun Reilly - I appreciate the tips and events to look out for. It sounds like I'm going to have a bunch to attend.

@Brandon Turner my only issue with the podcasts is that my commute is too short to get through more than one per day! It's been tremendously interesting to listen to other new guys and how they got started, as well as some of the more experienced people you bring in.

@Jared Cacciapaglia it seems like everyone here is tremendously helpful. It'd be good to connect and find out a bit more about what you're interested in doing.

Thank you for the book recommendations Account Closed . I've already read through "Real Estate Rewind" and I'll be sure to check out the others.

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Hey @Beau Blinder   welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here!

And oh, learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business by checking this quick guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

See you around!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you