Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
Hello BP community!!!!
I am a new investor, with very little experience. My very limited REI experience comes from owning a house in NE Atlanta (read Norcross) GA, and renting rooms to my college friends (I just graduated from Georgia Tech, soooo .... go jackets!!!).
Good news is that for what I hear, the Bigger Pockets forum is the place to learn about REI! I found out about BP literally by punching "best real estate books" in Google. That took me to Brandon's "real estate in your twenties" website and finally here. I'm interested in wholesaling and buy and hold investments.
I am originally from Medellin, Colombia (so of course I enjoy soccer) and recently decided to learn how to play the electric bass .... making very slow progress with that endeavor, but having fun with it.
Look forward to meeting other investors in the area and learning about REI!!!!!
Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
11y
Thanks for the welcome @Giavonn. My improvised REI strategy through college definitely helped me stay afloat while at school, and got me really interested in Real Estate. Win-win.
Hey man welcome to BP. I am glad you are here and hope that it will be beneficial to you.
If you have not heard about the Home Depot Meetup that is happening this week at corporate office it would be a great place to come and meet a lot of investors from the Atl area.
If you want to attend just PM me and I will see if I can get you on the list.
Welcome. Take a good look at student housing Atlanta is in the top 10 US markets for student housing.
Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).
You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.
Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over
Roswell, GA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
11y
@SebastianVilla
Welcome! I suggest you join GaREIA. I just attended their Boot Camp last weekend for new investors and it was FANTASTIC. The instructors are so experienced and willing to share their knowledge. There are also group meetings each month on lots of topics (new investors, deal makers, rei strategies, rehabbing, wholesaling, land lording, passive income and more). And it's close to you... the headquarters are at Tilly Mill and Ptree Industrial.
Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
11y
@Andrew Cordle thanks for the welcome. I haven't heard about the meet up, but would love to attend. As soon as I figure out how to PM will write you to get more info. Thanks!
Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
11y
Thanks for all the information @Paul Timmins. I heard some of the rent prices that my classmates were being charged, somebody is enjoying some positive cash flow coming from them. Will take a closer look, great advice.
I will buy the "Book on estimating repair cost", almost done with my current REI read (Landlording on auto pilot-Mike Butler) and need a new one. Repair estimating is something I need to learn more about.
Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
11y
Thanks for the welcome message @Jenny T. !!! That is great info. I do want to join an association but wasn't sure which one. And you are right, Tilly Mill is like 15 min from my house, can't beat that!!!
As far as Boot Camp goes, well, as a former US Marine that word makes me clench my teeth and have nightmares ... hahaha. But I will have to get over my trauma and sign up. I'm sure is well worth the time spent learning and all the topics you mentioned are very interesting.
Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
11y
Hey @Sebastian Villa! Exciting times as a new investor. I found BP 4 years ago and it helped me quit my job to where I am today. Try to network with local atlanta investors who know the market, which neighborhoods are good to get started out in, etc. Also, not too hard to find equity partners or lenders on BP as well. Network network network! Do you want to get into rehab & remodel game, rentals, or something else? Welcome aboard!
Homeowner · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 5 votes
11y
Hi @Jared Lichtin, thanks for the welcome message and congratulations on living the dream. I hope to one day be able to say the same. No more 9 to 5 cubicle surfing!!!
I appreciate the advice, focusing on networking here at BP and of course learning. Really eager to get started!!! Rehab/remodel interest me a lot as well as wholesaling. Buy and hold multifamily as a long term wealth building strategy also sound great. So many options with REI.
Thanks for the welcome, and hope everything is going well in Houston!
Hey, a fellow Georgian AND a fellow bass player! Cool!
I'm new-ish here, myself. I've been a member for a while, but this is my first time actually using the site. Maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other as we learn about this whole real estate thing.
Good idea, I could definitely use somebody to discuss ideas with. What are your interests? (Rental properties, remodel and rehab, Wholesaling? I could use some pointers with the bass as well, but that can be a different post. Haha!
Investor · Social Circle, GA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes
11y
I'm just starting out, and from what I can tell, Rental properties seems to be the way to go for me right now. My goal is to get my cash flow to match my income for my job so that I can eventually leave it and focus on real estate full time. From what I can gather, that seems to be the best way to do it.
I don't really know much about real estate, though. Definitely know more about bass than houses.