Rookie Investor and new to BP

10 Replies

Hey all,

New investor here in the Washington DC / Northern Virginia Area. Background is I have almost 20 years in the construction/real estate industry working for large general contractors and developers. 

Being new on BP and to investing, I am ultra conservative investor looking like everyone else on here who either has or is ready to make their first deal. 

Partnering with someone would be something I would consider, so if your interested or have questions about the area feel free to reach out. 

Thanks

Hi @Chris Seveney welcome, I have been lurking on BP for a while and I am in the process of changing my model from solely NOVA to adding Indianapolis IN area.  

But I'd be interested to know what local VA contractors you have worked with.

If you haven't already you should check out a local REIA. I go to http://tractionrealestatementors.com/home meetings in Tyson's.  While they do have speakers trying to do up sales if you have self-control you can get thru it without purchasing anything and still get some good information and meet other investors. 

Good luck.

Cheryl

@Cheryl Pepper,

I am checking out the local REIA. In regards to contractors, shoot me a private message and let me know what your looking for (what trades or a GC). I have many resources and contacts where I can point you in the right direction for what you would need.

Thanks

Hey @Chris Seveney welcome to Biggerpockets! I attend Traction and while they usually attract a larger group I also like Capitol REIA that meets in Fairfax, and CAZA meetup in Reston (hosted by Keller Williams realty). No selling going on at those groups. They focus more on the networking and crowd participation about those topics and usually you'll find less beginner investors.

I am searching for rehab properties in the DC and NOVA areas and would be interested in your GC contacts. Thanks!

Brian

@Chris Seveney Hey Chris, welcome to BP! I am new to investing as well, in fact I just passed my real estate licensing examinations. Waiting for my paperwork to be processed with Long & Foster, and then will officially be licensed. 

Hope to see you around at a local REIA.

-Carson

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you