Rookie Investor and new to BP

Rookie Investor and new to BP

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

Hey all,

New investor here in the Washington DC / Northern Virginia Area. Background is I have almost 20 years in the construction/real estate industry working for large general contractors and developers. 

Being new on BP and to investing, I am ultra conservative investor looking like everyone else on here who either has or is ready to make their first deal. 

Partnering with someone would be something I would consider, so if your interested or have questions about the area feel free to reach out. 

Thanks

7e investments53 Reviews
0Reply
9 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to the BP community @Chris Seveney! Thanks for sharing and glad to have ya!

  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Chris Seveney

    Welcome to Biggerpockets. You're in the right place to get started in REI. Keep networking and you'll find a lot of experienced RE investors here that would help you out. Good luck

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 43 votes
    11y

    Hi @Chris Seveney welcome, I have been lurking on BP for a while and I am in the process of changing my model from solely NOVA to adding Indianapolis IN area.  

    But I'd be interested to know what local VA contractors you have worked with.

    If you haven't already you should check out a local REIA. I go to http://tractionrealestatementors.com/home meetings in Tyson's.  While they do have speakers trying to do up sales if you have self-control you can get thru it without purchasing anything and still get some good information and meet other investors. 

    Good luck.

    Cheryl

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    @Cheryl Pepper,

    I am checking out the local REIA. In regards to contractors, shoot me a private message and let me know what your looking for (what trades or a GC). I have many resources and contacts where I can point you in the right direction for what you would need.

    Thanks

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2013 · 56 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    @Chris Seveney welcome!

    What type of work did you do before?  Also, what type of properties are you looking to invest in?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Chris Seveney thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! If you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts" to get into conversation in your target area.

    Seeya around!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Hey @Chris Seveney welcome to Biggerpockets! I attend Traction and while they usually attract a larger group I also like Capitol REIA that meets in Fairfax, and CAZA meetup in Reston (hosted by Keller Williams realty). No selling going on at those groups. They focus more on the networking and crowd participation about those topics and usually you'll find less beginner investors.

    I am searching for rehab properties in the DC and NOVA areas and would be interested in your GC contacts. Thanks!

    Brian

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Chris Seveney, welcome to Bigger Pockets! Even though you are a newer investor, your background and relevant experience look great. Good luck in your investing endeavors!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Chris Seveney Hey Chris, welcome to BP! I am new to investing as well, in fact I just passed my real estate licensing examinations. Waiting for my paperwork to be processed with Long & Foster, and then will officially be licensed. 

    Hope to see you around at a local REIA.

    -Carson

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Chris Seveney

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.