Newbie from Northwest Indiana

Newbie from Northwest Indiana

Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes

Hello everyone! My name is Keith John from Chesterton, Indiana. I am a new investor with minimal experience, interested in learning everything I can about investing in rental properties. Although I have money to invest, I would much prefer to partner with a veteran investor who I can learn from, rather than going solo right out of the gate. I left the workforce last August to be a stay-at-home dad, and I have been learning about real estate through various means. I was just recently advised of Bigger Pockets through a family member and fellow newbie investor. After listening to nearly 30 podcasts and 1 webinar from Brandon Turner, I wish I had heard of this amazing investor resource a year ago! I will listen to all of the podcasts to continue to learn, but welcome any advice that will help me in my new venture. I am very interested in connecting with fellow investors in Northwest Indiana! Josh and Brandon...thank you!

2Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Keith John

Being able to analyze my real estate deals more closely and being able to connect with local investors.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith John

    Welcome. 

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to the BP community @Keith John! Glad to have you and thank you for sharing a bit of your story!

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint John, IN · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Welcome to BP Keith. No matter what question arises, you'll find an answer here. I started investing in real estate a year ago and I'm constantly searching the forums regarding topics relevant to our properties. Matt
  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thank you for the info @Paul Timmins. Where can I locate details for REIA meetings?

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the warm welcome @Steve Vaughan!

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Care to share how you got started @Matt Hanson? I see you are in Indiana...do you invest locally?

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith John

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members which is my favorite part of the website.

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the tip @Mark Nolan! What convinced you to go Pro?

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith John

    Being able to analyze my real estate deals more closely and being able to connect with local investors.

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Mark Nolan

    I have considered going Pro to take advantage of the calculators to help analyze deals more quickly. Thanks for replying!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Keith John welcome to the site! And yes you should check out the calculators. You can even fiddle with it with a regular account. Rock on!

  • Investor · Hobart, IN · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi welcome to bp I'm also a investor from Valparaiso, Indiana this site has a lot of helpful tips. If you have any questions feel free to ask me thanks and enjoy the site. 

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    I'll give it a go @Brandon Turner! I believe you mentioned on a podcast to try the wholesale calculator, just leaving the fee at zero to evaluate deals...

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Keith John welcome to BP over on other side of state but let me know if I can every help.

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @George A.

    @Jeremy Tillotson

    Thanks for reaching out fellow Hoosiers! I sent you a colleague request...hope we can help one another!

  • Laurel, MD · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Hi Keith.  Glad to see you here.   

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Keith John thanks for introducing yourself. Thanks for the kind words about the site. Feel free to jump in the community here. A year ago was the best time to start, the next best time is now. :) See you around! Rock on!

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thank you @Janet Brown! Looking forward to learning from everyone in BP!

  • Real Estate Investor · Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hi @Keith John

                               Welcome to Biggerpockets. Great to have you here. 

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Thank you @Swapna Bareddy! I appreciate all of the warm welcomes!

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    @Keith John- Welcome to BP! I am an investor that specializes in Buy and Holds in the Lake County areas of Highland, Dyer, Schererville, Merrillville, CP and Cedar Lake. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in your endeavors, or need some advice on your first deal. Would love to help!

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Jim Carson

    Thanks Jim! Advice and assistance both would be welcome. I am educating myself through books and bigger pockets podcasts, blogs and forums currently, so I don't jump into this blindly. I don't want to be the newbie investor that overpays for their first property. I evaluated 10 properties yesterday, with only 1 actually cashflowing using the calculator in BP. That was only if I offered 70% of asking price!!! Income properties in Porter County are seriously overpriced!

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    @Keith John- I haven't bought anything in Porter County, but keep looking! There are still deals out there, they are just harder to find. I'll typically quick analyze 25+ properties before I find something that might warrant a closer look. Prices are much higher in Lake County too, but there are still deals out there to be had. I'll find an area or neighborhood that I like and post "I buy houses" signs in those areas to see if I can get some leads that way as well. I've bought several houses below market value that way. Are you exclusively using the MLS to find deals?

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Jim Carson

    I don't have access to the MLS at this point. I am scanning the leftovers on GNIAR, Zillow and Trulia. I'm sure that is part of the problem. I need to find a great realtor who knows the income property side of the business. Recommend anyone?

  • Flipper · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Welcome! Always great to see someone so close to home. I am currently working on a rehab in Michigan City. My main focus is LaPorte and Porter Counties. I am a real estate broker. I keep an eye out on MLS for deals. I am just getting started too. But I am more than happy to help in any way that I can.

    Sandy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.