New from Fort Morgan, Colorado

New from Fort Morgan, Colorado

Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes

Technically I'm not new to real estate. My husband and I have bought several rental units in the last 12 years but he has done almost all the heavy lifting. Now my sister and I would like to do some flipping or rental work in our area. We need to learn about our own financing, for one thing, and learn more about rental management. DH is a great resource because he's an experience construction guy but we're hoping to try to learn a few new tricks as my sister and I start out. 

Kathy Brasby

Fort Morgan, Colorado

1Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

@Kathy Brasby welcome. There are a number of resources on the site for flipping and managing. Jay Scott's book on flipping homes is well respected (available on the site). If you want to do more rentals you are welcome to join us at the Denver Landlord Meetup (click the blue to go to the link with the information about it).

Also Ultimate Beginners Guide has a bunch of good info. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner to find information on a specific topic.

Set up key word alerts for items of interest to you.

If you have specific questions that the search feature doesn't answer, jump on the forums and ask.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Kathy Brasby!!

    It's great to have you here!!

    Good luck and happy investing!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Kathy Brasby

    Welcome to the site.

    Good luck to you and your sister.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tipton, IN · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    First and foremost welcome to BP @Kathy Brasby! 

    While it sounds like you have already experienced some significant success, I can say for anyone looking for additional information, tips, advice, etc, you are in the right place. 

    Don't forget to checkout the BP Podcasts (found under the Learn tab), they are packed full of great info.

    Best of luck in all your RE endeavors, see you around the site!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Kathy Brasby welcome. There are a number of resources on the site for flipping and managing. Jay Scott's book on flipping homes is well respected (available on the site). If you want to do more rentals you are welcome to join us at the Denver Landlord Meetup (click the blue to go to the link with the information about it).

    Also Ultimate Beginners Guide has a bunch of good info. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner to find information on a specific topic.

    Set up key word alerts for items of interest to you.

    If you have specific questions that the search feature doesn't answer, jump on the forums and ask.

  • Brighton, CO · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    11y
    Hey Kathy! I'm right down the road in Brighton. I'm just in the "thinking about it" stage when it comes to REI.
  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Wow, thank you for such a warm welcome and for great suggestions! I really appreciate them. I am looking forward to learning here!

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 112 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP Kathy! You will find a lot of the answers you need to be successful, here

    Stuart

  • Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the site! I'm a Newbie in Greeley, so just up the road. 

    I second the recommendation above regarding the Podcast. The episodes are PACKED with awesome info. 

    Hope to see you around. 

  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Thanks again. It's so nice to meet some Colorado people. @Stuard Birdsong and @Morgan Wallace: you're both not too far from me. Thanks for recommendations.

  • Investor · Latham, NY · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 65 votes
    11y
    Welcome Kathy, Youve come to the right community. It's amazing the amount of information on one site and moreso the amazing people that are willing to offer advice. Good luck George
  • Rental Property Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2014 · 136 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Kathy Brasby! I love Fort Morgan and visit it often. I especially like the HUD offers in your area. Best of luck on your sisterly adventures and I'm looking forward to hearing about your projects.

  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Theresa Worsham Thanks! We really enjoy Fort Morgan. The rental market here is tight. Many people looking for units and not nearly enough available. 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Kathy Brasby

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kathy Brasby:

    Technically I'm not new to real estate. My husband and I have bought several rental units in the last 12 years but he has done almost all the heavy lifting. Now my sister and I would like to do some flipping or rental work in our area. We need to learn about our own financing, for one thing, and learn more about rental management. DH is a great resource because he's an experience construction guy but we're hoping to try to learn a few new tricks as my sister and I start out. 

    Kathy Brasby

    Fort Morgan, Colorado

    Welcome! I was in Fort morgan today looking at a new HUD listing I got. I am in Greeley.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Kathy Brasby to "mention" someone. Their name gets highlighted in blue and they get an email, you type the @ symbol and the first three letters of their name. Below the post a reply box will appear a list of names meeting that criteria and you pick the one you want to mention and it appears in the box. I didn't know how to do this for the longest time.

  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Bill S. Thank you. I did not know that. I hope I did it right now. 

  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Mark Ferguson Looking to buy a HUD property around here? We've not had great success with HUD listings. They often are more complicated in our experience.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kathy Brasby:

    @Mark Ferguson Looking to buy a HUD property around here? We've not had great success with HUD listings. They often are more complicated in our experience.

    If you have a good agent who knows HUDs process they can be very simple. They are very different though. I am a HUD broker and get listings out there sometimes. This one coming up with be on ECHO on .5 acres

  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Mark Ferguson I'll keep an eye on that. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    @Kathy Brasby@Mark Ferguson 

    I received a lead on a Fort Morgan property today and was trying to find some discussion on the town. I don't know a whole lot about it, but wondering how the economy is and rental/ real estate market. Its not too far from Denver, but a totally different environment. Any info appreciated! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    market is okay. Not as hot as the front range. Should be pretty easy to comp out. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson Getting comps isn't too hard, it looks like a lot of 100K range houses. I'm looking at it from a rental perspective, but not too sure how the rental market is and economy. Have you ventured into or considered this area at all for any of your rentals? Thanks  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    ft Morgan is too far for me to flip and way to far for rentals. I don't know the market well for rentals. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 31 votes
    10y
    Kathy Brasby Hello mam!! We are super excited to have you apart of the BP family now! Initially I began my investing career looking into fix and flips, then shifted my attention to the Notes side of the business. I found that area to be an excellent opportunity to create passive income and strong capital gains. Looking forward to connecting with you, who knows maybe even do a deal together!
  • Investor · Fort Morgan, CO · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Doney

    I am managing about 20 rental units in Fort Morgan. Rentals are in demand here. Probably more in the under $1000/mo range but many people desperate to find a place. Our tenants tenants tend not to leave because it's hard to find another place. Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.