Howdy from the saltiest part of Utah!

Howdy from the saltiest part of Utah!

Newbie Investor and Software Engineer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hello all!  My name is Brett Thompson and I hail from Salt Lake City Utah.  I am so excited to have found Bigger Pockets.  This community is amazing!  I have been listening to the podcasts for a couple months now and I love it!  Josh and Brandon are cool dudes and if you are in Salt Lake ever, hit me up and I will show you around. Seriously, I owe you.

I don't know why, but I have been putting this introduction off for a really long time.  I think it is because I see it as a commitment that says to the world, it's time to make a REAL change.  Like many on here I am sure, I too don't like my current income situation/potential and I have realized I need to make a big change to get to where I want to go in life.  If anything, just to have a somewhat sustainable retirement.  

I find myself working 12 hour days, nights and weekends with absolutely no foreseeable reward or extra compensation for taking away precious time from my family and giving it to my employer. Don't get me wrong, I do have a wonderful employer, its just that, at least in my department,  they do not reward individuals who are loyal, reliable and work hard.

 I am so envious of those who have been able to make the leap and get to a point where they are able to sustain themselves with the effort they put into real estate.  I want to know that the harder I work, the more I make and the more financially secure I will become through real estate investing.  I would love to get to the point where I can have employees whom I can reward for their hard work and loyalty.

I have been interested in creative real estate investing since the mid to late 90's.  We all remember the late night Guru investing infomercials.  Not sure of all the rules yet so I won't mention his name, but let's just say that for the price I paid for the course, I could have stayed at the Ritz Carlton and slept between the super high-thread-count Sheets. Needless to say, I went through the whole course and did absolutely nothing.  I have some kind of fear that has been holding me back all these years.  I continually learn and talk to others about it but haven't done anything... until now.

I am done being afraid and I am jumping in with both feet.  I am currently working on two properties which will become rentals.  Watch for posts soon because I have lots of questions.  I am interested in single family, small multi family and possibly some wholesaling to get the ball rolling.

I want to learn.  I hunger for knowledge and experience and soon, hopefully I will be able to give that knowledge and experience back to the next investing noob! 

I look forward to meeting new friends and forming great relationships on Bigger Pockets!  See you around!  

P.S. Sorry for the lengthy post, if you made it this far, you are awesome!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

@Brett Thompson

BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Brett Thompson thank you  for introducing yourself and hey, welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm glad that you're getting your feet wet. Learning and getting soaked with knowledge is one thing, but taking action is really the one that makes a difference. :) Feel free to drop your questions in the forums for any hurdle. Keep on taking actions! 

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets! I am in the Salt Lake area as well. It's good to see others chasing their dream to financial freedom. Keep us updated!

  • Newbie Investor and Software Engineer · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Brandon and Brandon, thanks!  I am looking forward to the journey!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Lehi, UT · Member since 2012 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Brett Thompson. I'm also in the Salt Lake area. Look forward to seeing you around. This is a great place to learn.

    CK

  • Attorney / Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    @Brett Thompson Welcome to Bigger Pockets and glad to see you on Bigger Pockets. 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Brett Thompson

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Hey there @Brett Thompson

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    Keep networking and you'll find several people here that would love to help you out, you may even find a business partner.

    Good luck to you in your Real Estate Ambitions!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.