Newbie from Calgary, Alberta

Newbie from Calgary, Alberta

New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes

Originally from east-coast Canada, currently residing in Calgary, Alberta. 

My wife and I each have good day jobs, and not much real estate "investing" experience.

  • We have a 3bed, 2.5 bath townhouse, 
  • 50% partners on a rental property (1bed condo in Calgary)

Goals right now are to continue saving some money, and hopefully add another condo to the portfolio in the next 1-2yrs. Right now strategy is to buy/hold and shoot for monthly income. 

Long-term I'd like to get into multi-family units outside of Calgary (crazy expensive), maybe the USA, likely back in eastern Canada where things are much cheaper.

Joined bigger pockets because for someone with a rental property I really don't know as much as I should; and I'd like to learn how to grow our portfolio.

0Reply
17 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • BiggerPockets Support · Manila, Philippines · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 148 votes
    11y

    @Jon Martin

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community!

    This is the best place to grow your knowledge in Real Estate. Glad to have you with us.

    BiggerPockets
  • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thank you @Rachelle R. !

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Martin

    Welcome to BP!

    So from where down east do you hail?

  • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    @Jon Martin

    Welcome to BP!

    So from where down east do you hail?

    I'm a NB'er as well. From SJ area, lived in Freddy for about 7 yrs (went to UNB), live in YYC now.

  • Massage Therapist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 613 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @Jon Martin

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. You have made an excellent choice to join Bigger Pockets. We are warm, friendly, paying it forward people. I believe you and your wife will find the site to be informative, relaxing, entertaining, and sometimes jaw dropping.

    Bigger Pockets has various resources such as: ebooks, forums, blogs, webinars, podcasts, keyword alerts, an awards system, a learn section, colleagues, informative people in many fields of real estate, and more. Connect with REIA meetings, accountability partners, and mastermind groups.

    At the bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. It will show answers to questions that you didn't even think of. For example the @mention; which are the words that are highlighted in blue with the @ in front of names highlighted. Highlighted @names will receive notification by email to inform the member that they have been mentioned in a forum.

                                   Enjoy as you prosper....

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Martin

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Investor · Victoria , TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Welcome Jon, good to have you on board. I’m also investing in Calgary right now, looking to get into multi-units but like you the prices are way too high for me to play. So also looking to buy the multi-units in the US (or less expensive cities outside of Calgary). So I’m learning a lot from BP, really happy I found this site. A few local BP members got together a couple of weeks ago in Calgary, just got to know each and where we are in our investing. We plan to continue meeting but next one hasn’t been scheduled yet. Anyhow welcome, and hope you find this site useful.

    Tony 

  • New to Real Estate · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Tony Akhigbe:

    Welcome Jon, good to have you on board. I’m also investing in Calgary right now, looking to get into multi-units but like you the prices are way too high for me to play. So also looking to buy the multi-units in the US (or less expensive cities outside of Calgary). So I’m learning a lot from BP, really happy I found this site. A few local BP members got together a couple of weeks ago in Calgary, just got to know each and where we are in our investing. We plan to continue meeting but next one hasn’t been scheduled yet. Anyhow welcome, and hope you find this site useful.

    Tony 

     Thanks Tony!

    What do you currently have for property in Calgary right now?

  • Investor · Victoria , TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Don't hold anything in Calgary right now. Sold a 4-plex a couple of years ago (was becoming too much of a management headache) so as to buy something else that I could give to a prop manager, found I was priced out of the market. So I've been doing flips to increase my war chest. Then I 'discovered' the US market this year and bought a single family rental there, have been looking into multi-units instead of more singles.

  • Business Consultant · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Jon Martin

    Hi Jon, Welcome to the community. As @Tony Akhigbe had mentioned, we had a BP meeting (first ever) in Calgary just a few weeks ago. We do have a facebook group as well to make it easier to set up meetings and so on. Down below:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/688922047908933/?p...

    Bigger pockets is such an amazing resource. I wish I had known about this resource previously. I have had a fair amount of experience with MF experience in the US, lots of lessons learned, and if you are going to do so, there are definitely things you need to know! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.