Kyle - New, striving-to-be, investor from Salem, Indiana

9 Replies

Good morning everyone!

After joining the site about a month ago and listening to nearly all of the BP podcasts I'm here to introduce myself. As the subject line shows, I'm Kyle and I'm from Salem Indiana, a small town in Southern Indiana. I'm a Biomedical Technician in the dialysis field and I was a brick/block mason several years ago in a former life, so I have some construction background as well.

I have only purchased two properties with both being fix and flip. I'm still living in the second of those properties and getting close to the point of selling and purchasing another property, or two. 

I kind of accidentally became interested in the world of real estate. I initially had the idea of upgrading homes until I could afford my "dream home" which everyone always see's in their head until I realized that a 30 year mortgage and busting my hump to make ends meet every week didn't quite make sense. I'm not immune to hard work, I'm used to it, but I thought there had to be a better way. That's when my current property kind of fell in my lap and I realized that I could fix it and sell it for a substantial profit. With that thought in mind I began researching the world of real estate and it led me to these wonderful podcasts on YouTube called BiggerPockets. Anyone heard of them? lol

Anyways, the more I listened and researched I started thinking seeing that other people were doing the same thing I had in mind and I figured if they can, then why can't I? So here I am. 

Long term I'm interested in revenue generating income via buy and hold rentals. Now, the question is how to get there and how quickly can I gain enough confidence and knowledge to make this dream become a reality.  

If anyone has any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them. 

Have a great day everyone!

Welcome! I started a similar way myself. My wife and I bought a live in Reno and have worked on it in WV, now finished  we're moving to Bloomington, IN just next door! I'm under contract on a duplex we will be house hacking and already looking at more long term rentals in the area to buy.

Good luck with your RE! There are a lot of good resource here at BP.

Welcome Kyle!  I am an active investor residing in Sellersburg, IN - approximately 20 minutes from Salem and Scottsburg.  I am primarily involved with flipping at the moment, due to the hot market, but rent to own is my second real estate strategy (a great mix between flipping and rentals).  Currently, I have four rehabs going on - three on the Indiana side and one on the Kentucky side.  

Best of luck!  -Jim

Andrew,

Thanks! Good luck with the duplex and whatever ventures you pursue in the future. As a native Hoosier I'm very fond of Bloomington. Great town and great people. 

James, 

Jim,

Thanks for the welcome and information. I actually have been looking into the Jeffersonville area a little as I'm starting to just look at some potential properties. I'm thinking that might be a good market to keep an eye on as they're really trying to build up Jeffersonville with the new businesses they're bringing in. I'll definitely add you're email. Once again, I appreciate you reaching out.

Hey Kyle Sorrels ! Welcome to BP, a great group on folks here! I recently saw a post from a guy hoping to start a mastermind group in your area, might be helpful for you! We have recently started a group here in Bloomington, but I suspect that would be too far of a drive all the way from Salem!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/55/topics/217509-hello-mini-mastermind-for-louisville-southern-indiana-area

Welcome to BP! As long as you stick with it you can become a great investor. Take some time to expand your knowledge bass with books, podcast, networking, and any other way possible. I would recommend listening to all the Rich Dad Poor Dad audiobooks on YouTube, they have helped me the most.

My Best Regards.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you