Newbie in Charleston Area, South Carolina

12 Replies

Hi! I am thrilled to connect with you all and soak up all the knowledge available here on BP.  My husband and I have spent the last several years building a booming commercial cleaning business and are ready to pursue our passion with real estate investing.  I spent time early in my career selling new construction residential homes for a builder and was a licensed realtor in NC & SC.  We are currently living on Kiawah Island, SC, after our move from the Charlotte, NC area, and absolutely love the area.  Being so close to historic Charleston and the gorgeous homes keeps me hungry to get back involved in real estate.   We currently have two rental properties in the Charlotte area and are comfortable with that market, since we are so familiar with it,  but I am eager to explore the Charleston market more as I know it has big potential for rehab projects.

Clair

Here in Charlotte myself. We are aggressively looking for rehab projects in Charleston as well. Also willing to build new construction if we can find the lots there.

Let me know what you guys find that way. I come down once a month hit the local rei meeting. My younger brother also lives in the area. I believe Charleston is one of the under the radar markets on the east coast.

Sincerely

Alex

Love Baxter my wife and I love to  eat dinner in the different restaurants there quite a bit. I use Starbucks as my second office.

Google Charleston real estate meet up groups great place to start...

Alex

Hey Claire, I would love to learn more on how your rental experience in Charlotte is going?  What part are you invested in?

Also saw your message on your business in Baxter village. I have a best friend whose wife owns a shop called Bloom Lash Boutique in Baxter.  Great area!

Looking forward to chatting more.

Hi @Sean S. , I know Bloom, such a cute spot!  

We have a townhouse in Lake Wylie and a single family home in Gaston County.  Both were purchased as our primary residence and after living in them for a while we turned them into rentals.  

@Clair Robinson   I found Charleston 2 years ago and its one of the great markets no one out of area knows about.. but that is changing fast. But its not a mid west market or low end market generally so it won't totally get overrun...

I just closed a rehab I did on 24 Cleveland St. in Charleston and set a new HIGH comp per sq ft for the area... and I am in Orygun  LOL.  We also built one on 46 Aiken that we sold to Shep one of the reality stars on southern Charm... total regentrification going on and shifting demographics

I love it there.

@Alex Franks   Also Alex is the real deal  high energy and very versed and sharp at most things Real estate... just be careful if you get in a conversation with him  he is what we call a slow talker so put 30 minutes aside for this gentlemen... :)  The reality is if you were seated next to Alex on a cross country flight by the time you landed he would have you in 3 deals  !!!  He came and visited me in my little office in Orygun some years back and we have some deals done together and he ALWAYS holds up his end  ALWAYS

Welcome Clair.  Much going on in Charleston.  When you need a good real estate attorney who knows that market be sure to look up my good friend James Duggan.  He is a native of Charleston and owns commercial and residential properties in the area

@Clair Robinson Welcome to BP!  My husband and I visit Charleston and Hilton Head area annually, and have plans to eventually relocate in the next few years.  Perhaps we can connect during our next visit.  We'd love to partner with a local team on a future project!

I'll send you a PM.

Wish you all success!

Clair, my wife and i have been building our Commercial fleet vehicle cleaning company here in Charlestono over the past 4 years.  We have also been investing in real estate deals in the area for the same amount of time, we have flipped houses from Johns Island, Downtown to Ridgville. We have been focusing on long term buy and hold properties recently and building our cash flowing rental property portfolio. What kind of commercial cleaning does your company do? Are you going to invest in Kiawah or look elsewhere in the area. 

Hi @Tony Conway our cleaning business in Kiawah is primarily with vacation property and some office/retail/restaurants in the area. We also still operate in Charlotte with all commercial office cleaning.  For our real estate business we are looking at Johns Island and James Island and other surrounding areas but we also are looking back up in Chalrotte since we lived there much longer and know the market.  We are starting with fix & flips to build up cash and then long term are looking for but & holds.  My husband and I would love to meet with you and talk about both businesses and learn from you!!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you