NWI New Member

NWI New Member

Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 5 votes

Hi all,

My name is DJ and I'm a new member! It's nice to meet you all. I've been listening to the Podcast obsessively for the past month and I've learned a lot. 

I'm located in the Northwest Indiana area (close to Chicago) and I'm interested in single family and multifamily units for buy and hold investing. My end goal is to be completely financially independent through real estate by the time I'm 40 (currently 23). 

I haven't done any deals yet, but I'm looking to buy a single family home to fix up and rent within the next 6 months!

-DJ

3Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
10y

@Matt White - you do not always have to deal with "Class D" tenants. Hammond is a CITY and quite large. There are many different areas. If you judge all cities by the lowest common denominator, then I guess Chicago's northside (near Wrigley where many Cubs and Blackhawks live) would also be terrible?

Just because some people have lower incomes and therefore can afford a lower rent, doesn't mean they are class D. Yes, there are trouble tenants, but I have found they come at all levels of income. So, in the end, it comes down to how you finish your property, how you screen your tenants, and then support them once they are in there.

I was taught a single item from my coach. If you picked up the property and moved it to where you wanted to live, would you live in the home yourself? Could you live in it? If you leave the crappy windows in, or put in new ones, but fail to seal or insulate around them, the bills skyrocket in the winters and it is cold. Would you still want to live there? So don't ask others to do that.


This line of thought has increase my up front expense for renovation and rehab, but it saves you in the long run when you don't have vacancy numbers. When I finally came on board with that line of thinking, I have seen an increase in the quality of tenant/applicant, and a massive reduction in evictions and turnover.

If a person feels comfortable and knowledgeable enough about an area, just exercise solid fundamental analysis on the area. There are people that have made solid money through the years investing in properties and areas I would never touch. Just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean they shouldn't keep doing it.

Good luck to everyone, just remember be smart, be educated and believe in yourself!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP- are areas are you looking to purchase property in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    10y

    @Djurica Bukur Welcome to BiggerPockets!! Network with as many people as you can and get your education

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP. great opportunities exist in NW Indiana to do exactly what you are seeking. Get out and network with others making it happen locally. Just be careful.. as I haev found. Lots of phonies and fakes. But there are also several really solid people that follow through and are honest.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 53 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Djurica Bukur:

    Hi all,

    My name is DJ and I'm a new member! It's nice to meet you all. I've been listening to the Podcast obsessively for the past month and I've learned a lot. 

    I'm located in the Northwest Indiana area (close to Chicago) and I'm interested in single family and multifamily units for buy and hold investing. My end goal is to be completely financially independent through real estate by the time I'm 40 (currently 23). 

    I haven't done any deals yet, but I'm looking to buy a single family home to fix up and rent within the next 6 months!

    -DJ

     Hey DJ,

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets, my best wishes for your goals heading forward!

  • Boonsboro, MD · Member since 2011 · 137 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!  Can't wait to hear from you on future forums as to how you are doing and what you have accomplished.  Go to several local REIAs, and network.  I am with 

    @Dale Stevens though, there are a lot of talkers out there, that don't know what they are talking about!  LOL

    Best wishes to future ventures! 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Djurica Bukur

    Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community. It is a great place to learn about real estate.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! Check out the podcast with Sharad Mehta who does buy-and-holds in NWI if you haven't already. 

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Daniel I.

    Thank you for the mention.

    Hi @Djurica Bukur

    Welcome to BP. I invest in NW Indiana and if there is anything I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

    Best Regards,

    Sharad

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    Yes @Terry Beall many bloviate without knowledge. Some do it to stroke their own ego, others do it as they are selfish. My faves, including many on here, attend classes taught by others. Run here, record a podcast, that basically is what they just learned, and hope you think they are the expert. 

    I attended a local class, two posters on here, attended that, and a few others by the same instructor. Now I see they are claiming they are self taught and one if not both, are pushing you to pay them to teach you. Sad really, just be honest. 

    At least what they teach works, but be honest about where the education came from, and that it means you, will always have a limit to your teaching because these two people, never learned how to move to the next level from the instructor. 

    I don't mean to scare anyone off, just be EXTREMELY careful the advice you take, the source of that advice. In the end, you are your own best advocate, and you need to be sure for yourself!

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adrien C.:

    Welcome to BP- are areas are you looking to purchase property in?

     Hi Adrien,

    I'm looking primarily in South Hammond, Valparaiso, Portage, and Possibly Griffith and Highland. I'd like to canvas most of Porter and Lake County :)

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    South Hammond, Griffith, and Highland are all great rental areas- even Dyer and Schererville if you can find a good value. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Whitestown, IN · Member since 2014 · 547 posts · 933 votes
    10y

    Welcome DJ. I would definitely consider getting started in your local area. I work in Indianapolis and see people from all over the US and world-wide invest here. The state has very good Landlord-Tenant Laws, reasonable home pricing, and a stable economy and job market. If/when you are interested in breaking in to the Indianapolis market... feel free to reach out.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    Yes, the areas you mentioned are solid areas, but with everything, make sure you stay on top of it. The key is to be fully educated on the areas, the codes, the laws, the processes, taxes, etc. It may sound overwhelming, but getting that information up front might be time consuming, but once you have it, it is amazing how quickly you "get it" and can move forward. I wish you nothing but luck and success. 

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Djurica Bukur I admire your ambitious goals at a young age. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor / Joint Venture Specialist. · Crown Point , IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Bigger pockets! 

  • Investor · Hobart, IN · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    welcome to bp I'm a investor in northwest Indiana if you have any question feel free to reach out 

  • Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Welcome, DJ! I'm also from NWI. There's a ton of info on here, and the community is quite friendly and ready to help. Happy hunting!

  • Realtor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!  Glad to see someone so young and goal oriented.  Wish I would have stepped up at 23 and started then, but it's never too late.  Good luck in your endeavors!

  • Realtor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!  Glad to see someone so young and goal oriented.  Good luck in your endeavors!

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sharee Mason:

    Welcome to BP!  Glad to see someone so young and goal oriented.  Good luck in your endeavors!

     Sharee,

    Thank you for the kind words! Looking forward to learning more about investing through BiggerPockets.

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

  • Highland, IN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Djurica Bukur I also am new and wishing to invest in our local nwi markets and I'm not the most knowledgable but I have noticed that yes Hammond is a cheaper area to invest BUT you'll have to deal with "class c" tenants maybe even class d it's all based on the area just my 2 cents like I was listening to on the podcast was go around and make offers on places that you are considering and if one person takes you by surprise and accepts your lowball offer talk it over with someone that is a lot more knowledgeable.
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt White:

    Djurica Bukur I also am new and wishing to invest in our local nwi markets and I'm not the most knowledgable but I have noticed that yes Hammond is a cheaper area to invest BUT you'll have to deal with "class c" tenants maybe even class d it's all based on the area just my 2 cents like I was listening to on the podcast was go around and make offers on places that you are considering and if one person takes you by surprise and accepts your lowball offer talk it over with someone that is a lot more knowledgeable.

     Matt,

    Thanks for the input. I know Hammond can be a little rough around the edges, but I know the area decently enough. I think if you buy in the right part of town, you can be very successful. You know what they say: "Location, location, location."

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    @Matt White - you do not always have to deal with "Class D" tenants. Hammond is a CITY and quite large. There are many different areas. If you judge all cities by the lowest common denominator, then I guess Chicago's northside (near Wrigley where many Cubs and Blackhawks live) would also be terrible?

    Just because some people have lower incomes and therefore can afford a lower rent, doesn't mean they are class D. Yes, there are trouble tenants, but I have found they come at all levels of income. So, in the end, it comes down to how you finish your property, how you screen your tenants, and then support them once they are in there.

    I was taught a single item from my coach. If you picked up the property and moved it to where you wanted to live, would you live in the home yourself? Could you live in it? If you leave the crappy windows in, or put in new ones, but fail to seal or insulate around them, the bills skyrocket in the winters and it is cold. Would you still want to live there? So don't ask others to do that.


    This line of thought has increase my up front expense for renovation and rehab, but it saves you in the long run when you don't have vacancy numbers. When I finally came on board with that line of thinking, I have seen an increase in the quality of tenant/applicant, and a massive reduction in evictions and turnover.

    If a person feels comfortable and knowledgeable enough about an area, just exercise solid fundamental analysis on the area. There are people that have made solid money through the years investing in properties and areas I would never touch. Just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean they shouldn't keep doing it.

    Good luck to everyone, just remember be smart, be educated and believe in yourself!

  • Portage, IN · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!

    I'm in portage, currently living in half of my first multi home property, in the process of finding my second. I started a little over two years ago, no expert but can offer basic advice and help. Good luck and lmk if you have any questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.