Ballwin, MO · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 2 votes
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I'm a new investor from the Saint Louis, MO area. I've been studying up and am fairly knowledgeable, but have yet to take the leap and purchase my first property. I am currently looking for house-hacking opportunities to safely get my feet wet (e.g. buy a house I can afford and then either rent out the extra rooms or in-law suite). Over the long run, I aim to build a portfolio of paid-for rentals that allow me to become financially free.
If there are any other investors in the area or elsewhere who share a similar vision, please feel free to reach out. I would love to connect, share ideas, and help out in any way I can.
I wish you all the best of luck and am excited to be a part of the BP community!
Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 7 votes
10y
Hey Ben, welcome. I am investor on both sides of the river. Would recommend getting into the local REIs. South side investment club, FasterHouse and Lifeonaire are the best. Let me know if you need more info!
Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 83 votes
10y
Welcome to BP Ben! I just moved from Ballwin out to St Clair MO. I'm a buy and hold investor primarily in South City. I have a few multi-family buildings now and I have offers out on a couple more. Happy to meet you for coffee some place one of these days and talk about real estate... (my favorite topic). Good luck, stick to the forums, podcasts, and blog posts here on BP. Great wealth of knowledge and a great bunch of folks always willing to lend advice...
Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 7 votes
10y
Hey Ben, welcome. I am investor on both sides of the river. Would recommend getting into the local REIs. South side investment club, FasterHouse and Lifeonaire are the best. Let me know if you need more info!
Property Manager · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 76 votes
10y
Welcome to BP from a fellow buy and hold investor. I second @Daniel Gibson recommendation to get involved with local groups; it's a great way to network and learn about local issues to supplement what you're learning from places like the BP podcasts. I own a few rentals in South City and also help clients purchase rentals (investor-friendly agent) so feel free to reach out if you'd like to chat. If you're looking to house hack there are some really great opportunities out there, especially if you're a first time buyer.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
10y
@Ben K. Hey Ben, welcome to BP. I'd say you're on the right track looking for house hacking opportunities, it's one of the best strategies to get started (it's what I did). I wouldn't rule out duplexes, triplexes or 4-families though, especially since the city has a great stock of 4-families, but that depends on what area you're looking to move to.
I'd be glad to talk shop with you if you have time. Don't hesitate to reach out, I'm always happy to talk real estate.