New to Spokane, Washington and RE Investing

New to Spokane, Washington and RE Investing

Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hello, BiggerPockets!

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself!

Background:

My name is Ryan. I grew up in Albuquerque, NM and recently moved to Spokane, WA to be a flight attendant. This puts me in a position to finally delve into real estate which I have been interested in since high school. I first started investing (non real estate) when I was 16 and have been interested in real estate and early retirement ever since!

I have many (sporadic) days off in which I have been reading and learning on Bigger Pockets. I have been on BP for years, but I am finally getting ready to delve into the industry in real life. 

Goals:

I would like to get my first rental by the end of the year ( probably a 2-4 unit primary residence where I can rent out the other units).

Long term I would like to work on rehabs for flipping and eventually long term rentals to round out my early retirement portfolio.

Hobbies:

I love running, martial arts, and almost anything outdoors. I am also obsessively passionate about ultralight backpacking and have hiked over 3,000 miles in the last couple years.

---

I'd like to make some new friends, especially here in Spokane, and become more involved with my new community!

I'd be happy to help out with anyone's business in exchange for some hands on experience.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and make some new friends!

Let me know if you'd like to discuss RE over coffee, run, hike, rock climb, grapple, or whatever!

I'm often also in other parts of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana if anyone wants to talk about RE, hiking, etc!

2Reply
25 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NY MA CT VT MT, MO · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    wow!  Welcome Ryan... you have the right attitude, that's for sure!  Enjoy... you're already on your way to early retirement!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hello @Ryan Legits, welcome to Bigger Pockets and welcome to Spokane! I recently moved out here and am planning to purchase a 2-4 unit property as well. 

    Last night we hosted a BP meeting and had roughly 10 people attend. The experience was fantastic and we covered many topics from various experience levels. We have decided to meet up every third wednesday of the month at 6:30pm at 1826 E Sprague Ave. Here is a link to the forum post that has received the most updates about it:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/771/topics/26...

    I see you mentioned climbing. Do you plan to get a climbing gym membership in Spokane? I have one for Wild Walls but haven't gone in a while. If you're down we can go boulder or get some top-roping sessions in!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Alan Brown Thank you so much! When I am passionate about something, I tend to become obsessive and excel at that thing.

    I see you are from Bozeman. My company flies there, but I haven't had a chance to yet! I love Montana so far from what I have experienced! Thanks for your encouragement! It's that encouragement (especially at such a young age) that allows others to excel and get started early. One of the biggest parts of early retirement is starting early! Haha!

    @Derek Weese It would be great to hang with another new transplant!

    I'd love to meet up with you all for the next meeting! Looks like I have the 17th off, so I'm putting it on my calendar now. Thanks for the heads up!

    I actually just went to Wild Walls a few weeks ago to do the beginner's class to be able to climb. I haven't gone climbing cause I didn't have a climbing partner. Funny I might find someone on BP! Full disclosure: I haven't climbed much before, so I'm a beginner. But if you can live with that I'd love to go climbing sometime!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Rock on @Ryan Legits. No worries I've climbed with people of all skill levels. As long as I'm in the gym I'm happy! I am free to climb on most weekdays after 5pm, and occasionally on weekends. When would you want to hop in for a session? 

    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your RE interests when we meet up. My skillset lies in property management, so if you have any questions about that aspect of REI feel free to bring some questions with ya!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Derek Weese Awesome! My schedule is random. I'd be able to Saturday evening or most weekdays next week! I'll shoot you a PM!

    I'd be interested in learning about any aspects of RE you can share! I may not have much knowledge to share yet, but let's get talking and see what we can learn!

  • Jonna WeberPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    10y

    Welcome from Boise @Ryan Legits! You have a great attitude and I can tell you will go far!  I love the Spokane area - I have family there and up in North Idaho.   Maybe I will see you on a future flight to Spokane. :)  

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Ryan Legits

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is great to see you hear.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hayden, ID · Member since 2010 · 89 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Hi Ryan,

    Welcome to the Spokane area! I am just on the other side of the Idaho border in Hayden. We have some great hiking areas here with the Canfield mountain system right next to CDA. For a date hike, we have the glorious Tubbs Hill (only two miles after dinner at one of Coeur d'Alene great restaurants). Post Falls  has a great climbing park.

    We have a really cool marathon in Hayden that goes around the lake- beautiful views and tough rolling hills. I have to plug it because I am on the organizing committee but I got involved because it was such amazing idea - this will be our 4th year.

    Did you learn to ski in Santa Fe? This is a great year for the ski hills!

    This is a great place- hope you love it!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Legits Welcome to the Spokane area. I would love to connect if you have time. 

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Jonna Weber Thanks for your compliments! I definitely hope to see you on a flight! I'll be the funny, good-looking, humble one! :D

    @Mark Nolan Thanks for the welcome! See you around on the forums!

    @Lisa Troxel I have yet to check out CDA, and have heard so many great things about it! Thanks for the hiking and climbing suggestions. I will definitely work my way over there to get some hiking in. Haven't been to Hayden yet either, and haven't done a full marathon yet. Maybe this is the year! I've been looking for something to train towards. I heard of a huge race here in Spokane. I'll check yours out and see if I can make it! Let me know if you need any help with the race. I have helped out with many races in ABQ and miss the running community.

    @Jordan Tampien I'd love to connect! I'll send a message your way and we can figure something out!

  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Welcome Ryan! We would enjoy meeting with you for 'coffee' sometime. We're husband and wife beginning in wholesaling, soon to be fix & flippers. We are based in the Spokane Valley.

    Happy to have you aboard in our area!

    Sue & Ken Koentopp 

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    welcome to the inland northwest Ryan! Your gonna love it here!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed I feel very welcomed by everyone. Thank you! I love it here so far!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.