New Member from California

New Member from California

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 5 votes

Hi All,

I am a new investor currently living in West Los Angeles area. Since graduating from college in the midwest, I have been working professionally for a handful of years now as an engineer. I've read the books and listened to the podcasts, and now I'm ready to take control of my financial future and begin to establish a real estate portfolio. 

I am in search of high cashflow and potential growth areas, both locally and out of state. Out of state wise, I have states such as Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Indiana, and Michigan on my radar. I am open to both multifamily and SFR, depending on what opportunities present themselves. I would like to aim for <$200K price point for my first purchase.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone that wants to share any experiences they have had, both good and bad. Right now I'm just trying to educate myself and build a network. Thanks in advance!

-Lance

3Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 135 votes
10y

@Lance Kamiyama Welcome to BP! I'm a wholesaler in Memphis, TN.  If you decide that you'd like to invest in the area, and would like some boots on the ground, please let me know.  I work with a number of other investors just checking out properties, looking at the neighborhood, that sort of thing.  Let me know if I can help.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.  Curious do you have family in those areas to watch the rental? Does his ballot to travel their?

  • Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, I'm in Nashville if you got any questions about the area i'll do my best to answer those.

  • Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 407 posts · 180 votes
    10y

    Hey Lance. If you are interested in buying in Nashville shoot me your email and I will add you to my buyers list.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is great to see you hear.

  • Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP. I am a broker in South Florida, if I can help you in any way.   Thank you.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Lance! Good luck on your real estate journey.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama welcome to Bigger Pockets. If you have any questions about Orlando, Florida feel free to connect/PM.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.  I wish you the best in real estate investing.  I also invest in Houston and Memphis.  It can be done profitable.  You must do your due diligence.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 135 votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama Welcome to BP! I'm a wholesaler in Memphis, TN.  If you decide that you'd like to invest in the area, and would like some boots on the ground, please let me know.  I work with a number of other investors just checking out properties, looking at the neighborhood, that sort of thing.  Let me know if I can help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama I am the hottest wholesaler in Memphis! let's connnect and i'll send you all the deals you can handle. 

    Crestcore realty and @Douglas Skipworth can manage the properties for you. I used to manage his rentals and he's one of the sharpest guys I know.

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Most investors who are looking to purchase, especially a $200k property will most likely buy using conventional bank financing.  If your a wholesaler, how will you make your profit bc when this person buys their bank will see that the actual owner is not you the wholesaler?  This then becomes very complicated for the wholesaler.  

    If your buying a $200k home, in many Midwest markets you are far above what normal turnkey companies are selling, not always but most.  You can have your selection of normal retail mls sales as well as other providers who have that type of home for sale. 

    I think if you truly research the Midwest markets you will lower that number for purchase price.

    Good luck

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks for the shout out, @Spencer Shadrach.

    @Lance Kamiyama,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets.

    Best of luck to you!

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Spencer Shadrach

    Are you certain in regards to being the #1 wholesaler?  You have a lot of competition.  I think there are a handful that outsell you regularly but your still doing well.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama  welcome. 

    I own and sell turnkey homes in Memphis and Little Rock, AR. Love them both as do hundreds of our investors. Little Rock is worth taking a look. The eviction laws are by far the best in the country. You can work with a late paying tenant, lose patience and evict and have the house back on the market all in 30 days. Major game changer. Those laws train tenants and force them in to communicating when they are late. 

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Lance Kamiyama Hi and welcome to BP!  Of the states you mentioned, I have out of state investment experience in Indiana and Florida.  Let me know if I can be of help.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome aboard @Lance Kamiyama

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Lance,

    I saw you had an interest in Florida. Orlando is a very hot market right now, and I routinely come across go buy/hold opportunities. You can find recent statistics on this market here. If you do have an interest in this region, please feel free to reach out to me. 

    To your success!

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

    @Spencer Shadrach

    Are you certain in regards to being the #1 wholesaler?  You have a lot of competition.  I think there are a handful that outsell you regularly but your still doing well.

    Curt, read Spencer's post again.  He said "hottest" not #1.  I think he was talking about his good looks! 

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Lance Kamiyama:

    Hi All,

    I am a new investor currently living in West Los Angeles area. Since graduating from college in the midwest, I have been working professionally for a handful of years now as an engineer. I've read the books and listened to the podcasts, and now I'm ready to take control of my financial future and begin to establish a real estate portfolio. 

    I am in search of high cashflow and potential growth areas, both locally and out of state. Out of state wise, I have states such as Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Indiana, and Michigan on my radar. I am open to both multifamily and SFR, depending on what opportunities present themselves. I would like to aim for <$200K price point for my first purchase.

    I'd be happy to hear from anyone that wants to share any experiences they have had, both good and bad. Right now I'm just trying to educate myself and build a network. Thanks in advance!

    -Lance

    Hello Lance,

    Welcome to the world of REI. You will find BP is a great place to gain information and new ideas. There are many professionals here who are always willing to share some advice.

    Where did you go to school in the Midwest? That is where I am from as well.

    Good luck investing! I am sure you will do well!

  • Real Estate Investor · Sunny Isles Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 333 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Lance Kamiyama! I used to live in California...Was up in San Francisco. A little over 2.5 years ago I decided to move into real estate investing, and after analyzing the 50 largest metro areas in the US I settled on moving to sunny South Florida. If you have any further interest in the Miami-Dade/Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area, don't hesitate to reach out to me!

  • Professional · Warren, MI · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Hello Lance I stay in Michigan and I am finishing up my Bachelors in Finance. I have some experience in landlording with multi-families and fixing up single units. If you have any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

  • Investor · Truckee, CA · Member since 2013 · 546 posts · 445 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Lance Kamiyama. I highly recommend doing your first deal close to home. CA is a tough market as prices tend to be higher and ROI's lower, but there are likely properties that will work for you within an hour drive. Working remotely across the country either requires putting a lot of trust into someone else or a lot of travel (which eats into ROI pretty quick).

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Lance I am pretty low key but I am here as a source in Memphis as well. As are most of the other respondents since they are extremely active in our market. I have a background in education so I spend half of my time in Educational Policy and the other have in REI. Either way, I am here for the networking!
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Its great so see the support from so many people.  

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jo-Ann Lapin, thanks for reaching out. No I do not have family in those areas. I would need a property manager for out of state investments.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.