Soon-to-be multi-family owners from Orange County, CA

Soon-to-be multi-family owners from Orange County, CA

Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Greetings all,

My wife and I will soon be newbie rental property owners. My father-in-law owns approximately 60 units in the Salem, OR area. Unfortunately he was recently diagnosed with advanced colon and liver cancer and given a very short time to live which means we will be co-inheriting the properties along with my sister-in-law. Consequently I've been devouring everything I can get my hands on and tearing through all the podcasts I can in order to educate myself as quickly as possible. Bigger Pockets was one of the first resources recommended to me, and it's been a gigantic help.

By way of background, we reside in Orange County, CA, and just within the last several months finally emerged from the smoking ruin of the Great Recession. In 2005 we bought our first property, a tiny 1-bedroom condo (no garage, no yard) for the same price that my parents paid for their brand-new two-story 3475 sq. ft home complete with swimming pool/spa in the same county only 10 years earlier. I FSBO'd our place myself 1.5 years later and turned a 30k profit as we moved up to a "spacious" 2BR condo. We were upwardly mobile and easily made the mortgage payment...but then the Great Recession happened. My wife and I both lost our long-time jobs within six months of our first child being born. After receiving approval to short sale the property and receiving an offer the first day it was on the market, the bank stonewalled for 11 months until the buyers finally pulled their money out and walked. Within two weeks, the home was sold at auction. I was so angry at the time that to this day I still haven't checked the records to see how much less the bank got for it than what our buyers had offered. Thankfully we had seen which way the wind was blowing and had already moved into a new home as renters. After living in survival mode for the last 5 years, we're finally back on track and able to save/invest more than a pittance each month.

It feels like we're being thrown into the deep end with no training, going from budgeting down to the last dollar every month, occasionally forced to rely on the generosity of friends and family, to being responsible for dozens of units within such a short time. Luckily I learn extremely quickly and my father-in-law employs a local property manager, so I suppose the important thing really is to learn how to manage the property manager, but there's still quite a bit of whiplash.

Anyway, I'm glad to find Bigger Pockets. I know I'll be relying on the information and community found here to help me manage (and grow) these assets responsibly. Thanks for taking the time to read! 

2Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
10y

Jeremy,first let me say how sorry I am for you and your family about your impeding loss.My went through it myself with my Dad two years ago and know how it feels.Now down to business before it gets to late.First,get a lawyer and help your father in law and his family get ready for the transition.Doing it now will save a ton of heartaches and misery later.He needs a will and living trust to spell out exactly who gets what and how much.It will save time and trouble getting the assets transferred to the heirs with minimal hassle and costs and help ease your father in laws mind.Second,get a Power Of Attorney set up now before his mind is declared by his doctor and lawyers to be legally incompetent(I wish I had done this!).Your wife and sister in law need to decide who will quarterback the transition team (family,lawyers,doctors,property managers,accounting,funeral arrangements,etc).Whomever is the emotionally strongest and most well organized person should be taking the lead in all legal decisions when their father is unable to in the future.After he passes there is going to be a ton of work to do so get good professionals to help you.Your going to need to evaluate the current situation of the rental properties and the quality of the property management and tenants.Is your father in law using an LLC (limited liability corporation) to run his rental business and to protect his assets? If yes,ask him to make you and his children legal partners so you can sign and speak for the LLC to his management company now and in the future.You will need to inspect and evaluate the current physical state of the units (termites,dry wall damage,paint,etc.)to determine what needs to be fixed for asset improvement.Are the rents too low for the market? Need to do search on what other similar units are renting for now.Are the tenants good quality or are they ready to be kicked to the curb? Need to look at their payment history and any complaints made by or against them.Is your property management doing a good job or just pocketing the money without fixing what is broken and letting bugs infestate the home?One step at a time.Good luck and God watch over you all.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2014 · 188 posts · 149 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, @Jeremy Sicarro

    Sorry about your father-in-law's situation. Sounds like he is a young man, :( Its tough for you and your wife.

    You'll learn a lot from BP. My suggestion never stop learning. A four-plex is a good way to learn. Having gone through your recession experience, I believe your got your first training of buying a property at the right price. I'm sure you guys will do well. 

  • Investor · Northern California · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Jeremy!  Wow...what a story you have.  Fortunately you have found our community, and it sounds like you will be up to speed quickly.  If you have a quick question...or are in need of educated help...there are many of us here to answer!

    All the best to you and your family!

    Lauren

  • Joe HomsBusiness Member
    Flipper · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Sicarro  Sorry to hear about your situation.  

    Welcome to BP. There is a local meetup in Lake forest every month that you should check out. http://meetu.ps/2QWCkh

    If you would like to meet up before then and talk about investing let me know. I am in Mission Viejo and can meet at a Starbucks.

    I am currently flipping homes and am current searching for my next project at the court house steps.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeremy Sicarro

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Build you team best of the best go to IREM.org international association of property managers search the geographical area for ARM certified call five.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Sicarro:

    Greetings all,

    My wife and I will soon be newbie rental property owners. My father-in-law owns approximately 60 units in the Salem, OR area. Unfortunately he was recently diagnosed with advanced colon and liver cancer and given a very short time to live which means we will be co-inheriting the properties along with my sister-in-law. Consequently I've been devouring everything I can get my hands on and tearing through all the podcasts I can in order to educate myself as quickly as possible. Bigger Pockets was one of the first resources recommended to me, and it's been a gigantic help.

    By way of background, we reside in Orange County, CA, and just within the last several months finally emerged from the smoking ruin of the Great Recession. In 2005 we bought our first property, a tiny 1-bedroom condo (no garage, no yard) for the same price that my parents paid for their brand-new two-story 3475 sq. ft home complete with swimming pool/spa in the same county only 10 years earlier. I FSBO'd our place myself 1.5 years later and turned a 30k profit as we moved up to a "spacious" 2BR condo. We were upwardly mobile and easily made the mortgage payment...but then the Great Recession happened. My wife and I both lost our long-time jobs within six months of our first child being born. After receiving approval to short sale the property and receiving an offer the first day it was on the market, the bank stonewalled for 11 months until the buyers finally pulled their money out and walked. Within two weeks, the home was sold at auction. I was so angry at the time that to this day I still haven't checked the records to see how much less the bank got for it than what our buyers had offered. Thankfully we had seen which way the wind was blowing and had already moved into a new home as renters. After living in survival mode for the last 5 years, we're finally back on track and able to save/invest more than a pittance each month.

    It feels like we're being thrown into the deep end with no training, going from budgeting down to the last dollar every month, occasionally forced to rely on the generosity of friends and family, to being responsible for dozens of units within such a short time. Luckily I learn extremely quickly and my father-in-law employs a local property manager, so I suppose the important thing really is to learn how to manage the property manager, but there's still quite a bit of whiplash.

    Anyway, I'm glad to find Bigger Pockets. I know I'll be relying on the information and community found here to help me manage (and grow) these assets responsibly. Thanks for taking the time to read! 

     Welcome and ask away ?. My Father has been battling stage 4 bone cancer since July. He is a fighter. I completely understand wanting to learn, and your tough situation. Keep in mind Family is everything, and spending as much time together is as important as well.

    Im sure there are so many folks locally that can help you out.  Do net work locally and find folks in both markets.

    Alex

  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Nice to meet you all, and thanks for the tips.

  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    10y

    So sorry to hear all of this. You really need to educate your self and BP is a good start. I am here in Orange County so happy to help. There is great group to network with in Irvine called the women's invest group not just for women.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y

    Jeremy,first let me say how sorry I am for you and your family about your impeding loss.My went through it myself with my Dad two years ago and know how it feels.Now down to business before it gets to late.First,get a lawyer and help your father in law and his family get ready for the transition.Doing it now will save a ton of heartaches and misery later.He needs a will and living trust to spell out exactly who gets what and how much.It will save time and trouble getting the assets transferred to the heirs with minimal hassle and costs and help ease your father in laws mind.Second,get a Power Of Attorney set up now before his mind is declared by his doctor and lawyers to be legally incompetent(I wish I had done this!).Your wife and sister in law need to decide who will quarterback the transition team (family,lawyers,doctors,property managers,accounting,funeral arrangements,etc).Whomever is the emotionally strongest and most well organized person should be taking the lead in all legal decisions when their father is unable to in the future.After he passes there is going to be a ton of work to do so get good professionals to help you.Your going to need to evaluate the current situation of the rental properties and the quality of the property management and tenants.Is your father in law using an LLC (limited liability corporation) to run his rental business and to protect his assets? If yes,ask him to make you and his children legal partners so you can sign and speak for the LLC to his management company now and in the future.You will need to inspect and evaluate the current physical state of the units (termites,dry wall damage,paint,etc.)to determine what needs to be fixed for asset improvement.Are the rents too low for the market? Need to do search on what other similar units are renting for now.Are the tenants good quality or are they ready to be kicked to the curb? Need to look at their payment history and any complaints made by or against them.Is your property management doing a good job or just pocketing the money without fixing what is broken and letting bugs infestate the home?One step at a time.Good luck and God watch over you all.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Jeremy,

    What a difficult set of circumstances. I can appreciate the position you and your wife are taking in taking on a lot of responsibility in this time. I am a brand new aspiring investor local to Salem and happened to see your post. Newly married and finishing school but am making the most of the time in preparation for our first investment prop. in the years ahead. Just wanted to offer encouragement as I am in the learning stage with you and have much respect for the position you are in. If you are ever in the Willamette Valley area I'd love to meet up. In the meantime if you need someone to check status of the properties or check on things from a drive-by distance, you'll find this community as highly supportive. 

    I'm very young in my own path, but if you haven't run across great references already - 

    Depending on how you choose to manage remotely some of these may be helpful references: I also know of a thorough and experienced local property manager in the case that you find a need to transition/split management.

    The Essential Handbook for Landlords - Karen Rittenhouse

    Land lording on Auto Pilot: A simple, No Brainer System for Higher Profits and Fewer Headaches

    And, assuming some of the aforementioned properties are multi family:

    Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth.

    All the best,

    Landon

  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Hey @Landon Hattan love to meet up with you sometime. I'll be heading up in March to take an initial look at the properties but our time is pretty impacted so I probably won't be able to on that trip. However, I'll look you up for the next time!

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Tons of good advice on BP. You have started with a very good resource. I have learned tons here.

    Check out the webinars, podcasts and recommended books and then hunker down for massive learning.

    Good luck to you and your family.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Hey that sounds great! Would love to. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.