New member in the North Jersey area, just saying hello.

New member in the North Jersey area, just saying hello.

Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Name is Stephen, 24 years old living in North Jersey. Real estate investing has recently become a strong interest of mine ! Excited to learn and ambitious to make moves in the near future (when that right time comes). I have mainly become interested in rental properties so thats the goal for now ! 

2Reply
25 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Hello Stephen,

    I'm also new to this site , just want to say hello back. 

    If I may recommend something to you, take some real estate classes and become a licensed real estate agent. It will change your life for ever ..... in a positive way.

    http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_rec/licensing/reclicrequire.htm

    "To qualify for a real estate salesperson's license an applicant must be 18 years of age or older, have a high school education or equivalency, complete a 75-hour pre licensure course at a licensed school and pass the licensure examination. After successfully completing the course and passing the examination the applicant must apply for a license through a sponsoring real estate broker. In addition the Commission must be satisfied as to the applicant's honesty, trustworthiness, character and integrity."

  • Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hey Antonio, 

    Thanks for reaching out, the advice is much appreciated. This is definitely something that i have taken into consideration already, just not exactly sure how well that would coordinate with my current career. I will be sure to look further into the courses and get some more information. Thanks again. 

  • Little Falls, NJ · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    @Stephen Marks

    Welcome to BP.. I see your situation because I was there. 

    A great way to start is house hacking with a FHA loan. Unless you do some wholesaling to build up some cash. The only thing is that too many guys try it thinking it easy and do a terrible job.

    I might have a good option for you in Lyndurst.

    -Brian

  • Real Estate Agent · Union, NJ · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I have a question, as a first time investor, can someone please tell me how o bring a hard money lender and a gap funder together to finance my project without me expending any cash?  What terms should I be looking for?, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 233 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    @Stephen Marks - There are sections of the site designed for people exploring and deciding on a niche for them.  I went from flipping to wholesaling to rehabbing to property management to agent to owner financing and finally settled on loan brokering.  

    I started reading here - https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investin...

    and then I learned more on the niches that interested me by searching for those niches in the podcasts https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    I am also bias towards aiming high and partnering 50/50 with experts, once you find a niche.

    @Deborah Wiggins, I would recommend reposting your question  here https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/50-creative-real-estate-financing

  • Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hey @Eric Benzenhoefer - thats a very interesting resume you have. Thanks a lot for the input its much appreciated. I have pretty much landed on house hacking as my first investment approach, that is the goal right now. It will be conveniant because i am not only looking for an investment property but also my first home ! Very excited to learn more and get cracking. I have been reading into a lot of the rental property and landlord podcasts, along with reading a few different books on rental properties specifically. I must say i am shocked at how much good inforfmation im absorbing in such little time, cant wait to start making moves ! Hope things are going smoothly for yourself, best of luck !

  • Real Estate Agent · Union, NJ · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks Eric

  • Real Estate Agent · Union, NJ · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Steven you might want to also flip a few houses to build up cash.  There are some great opportunities in Essex and Union Counties

  • Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Deborah Wiggins  I Have recently given that some thought, would like to learn a bit more about it before i get myself into that. My lack of experience makes me hesitant haha. I really like the idea of wholesaling and assigning but it sounds like something that would be much easier for somebody who is not working a full time job, just unsure if i would have enough time to dedicate to it. Thank you for the advice ! I appreciate it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Union, NJ · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Steven, I have not flipped my first home yet, but everything I am reading says now is the best time. Having a full time job is good because you have steady income. I think we are trying to move from a work dependence to to independent owner.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.