New guy from Rochester New York, wanting to learn about Rentals

New guy from Rochester New York, wanting to learn about Rentals

Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes

I currently live in a house my wife got from her family (At a discount, but not free), when they moved into a nursing home. It's old and needs plenty of work, and is at the low end of value for it's neighborhood (I hear this is a good thing).

We want to move into a better school district as we look to start a family. I want to keep our old house to rent out. Or maybe sell it to buy a better rental property.  We plan on doing that move in the next 3-7 years.

I just want to have another source of income to help provide for my family.  I would even be okay with this being a 0 sum rental (Some income, but enough to cover the repairs/etc), since when the mortgage is over it would then be profitable for us in the future.  It also would build equity in the mean time.

I don't know where to start looking yet.  I am curious what/if I should do before we move out as it is older.  If it's likely better to use our resources to get a multi family home near one of the colleges in the area.

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Dennis Wheeler

Welcome to the site! I am glad to answer any financing questions that you may have.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Dennis Wheeler

    Welcome to the site! I am glad to answer any financing questions that you may have.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    10y

    Hey Dennis,

         You're in the right place to get started on the right foot.  Rochester continues to be an incredible place for cash flow investing.  @Jerry Padilla has some of the best financing options for investors as well.  For one, they have no seasoning requirement on rental income, which you'll be hard pressed to find elsewhere.  They also allow for a lot more notes per person when compared to big box lenders.  I sent you a PM regarding property analysis, hit me back and we can meet up.

    Cheers!

    Mark

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Mark Updegraff

    Thank you for the mention! 

    You have a great property management team as well, and are a great resource for the Rochester area investor.

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thank you both very much!  I'm very much looking forward to learning more about real estate!

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hey @Dennis Wheeler I'm a contractor if you need rehabbing. 

    @Jerry Padilla I should talk to you as I'm looking at venturing into real estate. 

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Tony Fendi

    I am happy to answer any financing questions or provide assistance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.