New member from Minneapolis, MN - Twin Cities Metro

New member from Minneapolis, MN - Twin Cities Metro

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 10 votes

Greetings BP Community! I live in Minneapolis, MN with my wife and two dogs. I am new to the real estate game and am eager to network, learn, and enter into my first of many buy-and-hold multifamily real estate deals in 2018.  Since being bitten by the real estate bug in November of 2017, I have read as much as possible to educate myself on buy-and-hold, multi-family real estate investing. With a foundation of basic knowledge established, I am excited to begin networking with the BP community and taking concrete steps to acquire properties in the coming months.

I look forward to  networking and engaging in team building opportunities. I seek to immerse myself in the real estate investment community in order to learn and find individuals that I can collaborate with to foster mutual success. I look forward to meeting investors from the Twin Cities area!

My short term goals for real estate is to purchase cash-flowing small multifamily properties in the Twin Cities metro area. I aim to purchase 50 units in 5 years and am excited to grind every day to reach this goal.

Longer term, I would like to invest in small apartment units, and I would love to own 150 units one day. 

I formerly earned my Masters of Public Health degree and worked for the state of Minnesota in state health policy, but since being bitten by the real estate bug in late 2017, I devoted my time and energy to learning everything I can about real estate investment.

5Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
8y

Good luck Brian!  Good multi family deals are getting harder to find in the twin cities area so make sure your numbers are solid before diving in.  Don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time running numbers on bad deals before you find a good property to start with.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    Good luck Brian!  Good multi family deals are getting harder to find in the twin cities area so make sure your numbers are solid before diving in.  Don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time running numbers on bad deals before you find a good property to start with.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    8y
    Welcome Brian, James is correct that deals are tough to find, but after a while you can just look at the numbers and know if it requires further inquiry. If you want to network we would would be happy to meet with you and your wife to discuss Multifamily investing.
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome @Brian Ambuel. I'm always open to grab coffee and we have a recurring meetup group in Minneapolis that you would probably enjoy!

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Thanks everyone!  It means a lot to know that the multi-family community in Minneapolis is so welcoming.  I appreciate the words of caution and the offers to connect for further conversation. I"m definitely interested in meeting over coffee and I'll connect directly with those who have offered to set something up.  

  • Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    @Brian Ambuel

    Hey Brian! Welcome to the BP community. Good luck in your endeavors this year. It sounds like you have a great mindset towards things. My big tip is to always remain a student and keep learning.  I am getting together with a few folks on Thursday for a small networking meetup. It will be in South Minneapolis. Let me know if this interested you! Also, I am always open for coffee or lunch sometime.

    Best,


    Kurt 

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Ambuel we have an Apartment Investors meetup on Thursday March 8th starting at noon. We meet at Davanni's in Bloomington. This month I will be talking about an 84 unit building my company recently closed and the lessons learned. Come check it out if you can

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    @Brain Ambuel welcome to BP it's funny how the bug can bite you.  I started a similar journey back in 2015.  Good luck, BP is a great resource. 

    @Todd Dexheimer is there an email list or other notifications for your meet ups?  I am having my 3rd kid on Thursday so I'll be a bit busy for that one but would like to make the next one.  Thanks! 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Kurt Pauley - Thanks for the tip.  Good thing I enjoy learning and the community seems to be so open to sharing lessons with each other.  I appreciate the invite to the networking meeting on Thursday.  I'm headed out of town for about 5 days on Thursday, but I'm definitely interested in any future networking opportunities so if you have a list of some sort, I'd like to be added to it.  I'll message you directly about setting up coffee. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Todd Dexheimer- I appreciate the invite to the apartment meetup. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this Thursday as I'll be out of town.  Similar to Justin, I'm interested in future networking opportunities, and I'd love to be added to any notification list that exists to be informed of future meet ups.  

    @Justin Elliott - Thanks for the welcome and congrats on the 3rd child!

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    The meet up is hosted by MNREIA. https://www.mnreia.com/Events.aspx?ID=Apartment-Investors-Group-10-3-8-2018

  • Realtor · Minneapolis (Blaine), MN · Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Welcome Brian! Lots of opportunities for people willing to make it happen! Keep after it!

  • Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    @Brian Ambuel Welcome.  I'm an east-sider who invests in real estate near the MN/WI border.  I consider it the new frontier!  I don't pretend to have it figured out but I have 4 years in the books of investing in the far east metro.  As others have suggested, there are plenty of bad deals out there.  Keep running numbers so you know what a good deal looks like and be ready to jump on it.  They're still out there....

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Ambuel

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    Wishing you the best!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Ambuel

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. This is a great place to learn about real estate. Make sure to take advantage of the free webinars.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/webinars

  • Real Estate Agent · Bloomington, MN · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    Welcome Brian, 

    Your going to have to do some searching to find deals in this crazy market. There out there, you just have to be persistent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.