New Investor in Gary, IN...yes Gary

New Investor in Gary, IN...yes Gary

Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes

Hi, 

My name is Deana Johnson and I recently starting buying and holding in Gary, IN. Gary is my hometown and after moving back I wanted to see a change in my city and am starting by providing nice rentals in low income areas. Everyone deserve a comfortable, safe place to call home. 

15Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
5y

Hi Gang, I also am buying single family homes in Gary. @Dusty Cady for lenders I've had good luck with PrimeLending and Caliber Home Loans. I have an incredible property manager - CVS. Curt and Vicki Shefulsky. They are full service, can do everything up to managing and executing a gut rehab/ BRRRR project, etc. Title companies I've used are Indiana Title and Meridian. Both were good.

@Michael Stockwell are you still working on getting started? Feel free to hit me up any time. Happy to chat. 

@Doug Phillips I'd love to hear an update on what you have going on these days in Gary. I may be able to connect you with more buyers including myself. 

@Deana Johnson I'd love to also hear an update on your Gary investing and projects if you have time to write :) Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    7y

    Love to have you as part of the community! Thanks for everything you are doing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Deana, I will send you a PM. I am currently working in Gary on the lead water service line replacement program and have been thinking about investing

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Nick Giulioni Thanks @Michael Stockwell Thanks for the add

  • Ray J.Pro Member
    Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    Welcome Deana, again! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Ray J. Thanks!

  • Realtor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 140 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    Welcome @Deana Johnson.  Our team picked up some properties in Gary/Lake County this Spring.  Love to hear what you're doing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Doug Phillips Thanks! I am currently buying and holding and am getting deals through the MLS. I have opened up to welcome deals from wholesalers as well but have not ventured into the auctions yet. The auction is what I assumed you are talking about when you say you picked up properties in the Spring. If so what was your experience during that process?

  • Realtor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 140 posts · 53 votes
    7y

     @Deana Johnson That sounds great I wish you the best.  

    You assumed correctly, we focused heavily on Lake county this year but also hit about 5-6 other counties as well.  It's interesting, we try to have a couple different exit strategies (seller finance, sell as-is, etc).  We should be taking ownership before the end of the year if most of the parcels haven't redeemed.  (A few have so far).

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Doug Phillips I didn't actually think people redeemed those properties. Seems much each to pay the taxes when due. Our property takes here are so low. Once you take ownership please keep me in mind as I am looking to grown my portfolio. Not sure how often you come to the area but maybe we can grab coffee or meet at the local REIA group.

  • Realtor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 140 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    @Deana Johnson some of these redeemed properties are in other counties of Indiana but we’ll see how many total do not get redeemed. I would love to connect and stay in touch once we start rolling in the tax deeds. 

  • Dusty CadyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Hey Yall - We are working a few deals in Gary, IN and are looking for recommendations on a Title Company, Refi Lender, Property Manager and of course a contractor. Thanks in advance!

    @Deana Johnson @Doug Phillips @Ray J. @Nick Giulioni

  • Ray J.Pro Member
    Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 62 votes
    6y
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Michael Stockwell what is this replacement program? Certain areas of the city I’d assume. What’s the goal?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Alex Wojcik, lead water service line replacements. Slow process to switch out all the lead lines in Gary 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @Dusty Cady Welcome to investing in Gary! Depending on your situation I like Centier, BMO Harris and PNC. All do conventional loans, refi and helocs under 50k.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    Hi Gang, I also am buying single family homes in Gary. @Dusty Cady for lenders I've had good luck with PrimeLending and Caliber Home Loans. I have an incredible property manager - CVS. Curt and Vicki Shefulsky. They are full service, can do everything up to managing and executing a gut rehab/ BRRRR project, etc. Title companies I've used are Indiana Title and Meridian. Both were good.

    @Michael Stockwell are you still working on getting started? Feel free to hit me up any time. Happy to chat. 

    @Doug Phillips I'd love to hear an update on what you have going on these days in Gary. I may be able to connect you with more buyers including myself. 

    @Deana Johnson I'd love to also hear an update on your Gary investing and projects if you have time to write :) Thanks!

  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    5y

    I can second CVS also. Good people there. I'm glad to see other investors investing in Gary. I hope the city turns around. It has a lot of potentials, IMO. 

  • Dusty CadyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Caleb Teachout thanks for the info. I'm going to DM you. 

    -Dusty

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    my PM in Gary, PropertyBoss LLC, is pretty solid as well. Or maybe I just lucky :)

  • Steve HodgdonPro Member
    Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2015 · 433 posts · 321 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dusty Cady:

    Hey Yall - We are working a few deals in Gary, IN and are looking for recommendations on a Title Company, Refi Lender, Property Manager and of course a contractor. Thanks in advance!

    @Deana Johnson @Doug Phillips @Ray J. @Nick Giulioni

    Liberty Title in Merrillville

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Does anyone have a good agent recommendation for Gary?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Kirk Carlstrom I use Mackenzie Vandersluis. She is awesome. My whole group of investor friends use her in Gary. Best way to reach her is call or text. Her number is 219-713-0707

  • Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Caleb Teachout does the CVS PM company you use have a website?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gary, IN · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 32 votes
    5y

    @Kevin Sierra I just asked her. They don't.

    They charge 8% monthly, a half months rent for placing a tenant.

    Let me know if you want her contact info

  • Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Caleb Teachout just sent you a message!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.