What's up BP?- James from Detroit, Michigan!

What's up BP?- James from Detroit, Michigan!

Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 2 votes

Hey Everyone,

My name is James Smith Moore, I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan which is where I currently live. I've been an entrepreneur my entire life from breeding and selling lizards at 15 to launching my own Sneaker Line in Detroit, Michigan called Jimmy Kicks that was featured in dozens of media outlets around the world including the New York Times

Unfortunately things had to come to a hault- but that didn't stop me!

I've always had an interests in aquiring established businesses that could be ran semi-absentee and other income producing assets such as vending machines and real estate.

After doing tons of research, the Real Estate bug hit me and I fell in LOVE with the advantages and opportunity real estate had to offer. The thing that stuck out the most was how much you could LEVERAGE real estate to scale and grow an empire.

I then took the 40 hour Pre-Licensing RE class just to learn more about the practice and decided that I would become a Realtor and investor in the Metro Detroit area.

I'll be passing my exam within the next couple of weeks and will be looking for my first investment property to launch my RE portfolio.

I'll be targeting single family and Duplex homes in Detroit initially and will leverage that foundation to acquire Multi-Family units with 5 or more.

I look forward to connecting with as many people as possible on Bigger Pockets and getting the most out of this experience. I love connecting with motivated, driven individuals so let's connect and get some ideas and deals on the floor!

Peace!

James Smith Moore

0Reply
31 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rehabber · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2011 · 446 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP James Smith Moore! Sounds like you have quite the entrepreneur background. Real estate should fit you well.

    I love the attitude and I love the fact that you've already taken steps towards your real estate career.

    Best of luck, stay active, engage the community, and when a deal comes by post it on here for others to analyze.

    Glenn

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey James Smith Moore - welcome to BiggerPockets! Thanks for introducing yourself! We're glad to have you onboard. Do you have an end-goal in mind (like apartments, a bunch of single family homes, etc?)

    I think what you are doing is awesome - getting your license and looking for single family and multifamily properties! I'm a big fan of small multifamily properties.

    Keep in touch!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    And that was a pretty awesome write-up in the New York Times!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Brandon Turner

    The end goal is to acquire and hold established multi-family properties. I'm thinking 50+ units per property. This is however after I build a foundation of 10+ single family and duplex properties so they can be used as collateral to obtain financing for the initial commercial complex with 50+ units- then keep adding on from there with additional apt complexes. Is this the right thinking?

    Also thanks about NYT!

    Glenn Espinosa

    Thanks for the advice and the welcome. As soon as I locate my first deal I'll post! Let's stay in touch.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I have a similar end-goal James Smith Moore! Looks good!

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    13y

    Welcome James. There are a lot of quality BPers from the Detroit/Southern Michigan markets. Do a few people searches by city to find them. Best of luck!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Brandon Turner Cool! Thanks
    Phillip Dwyer perfect I'll do that tonight. Thanks for the luck!

  • Investor · Howell, MI · Member since 2011 · 202 posts · 52 votes
    13y

    Welcome James Smith Moore, breeding lizards, huh? That's one thing I hope I never find in an abandoned home! Detroit has some great neighborhoods and I know several investors buying in the city who are doing quite well. Let me know if I can help.

    Building a RE portfolio is definitely a fun and worthy endeavor. Good luck to you.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome James -- great write up there! We love hungry and enthusiastic members like yourself . . . jump in and get involved. You get out of this place what you put into it, so I'm sure we'll see you finding tons of opportunities. See you around BiggerPockets!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Canton, MI · Member since 2012 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Welcome James!! BP is a great communication platform & offers so much excellent information. It's been an invaluable resource for me.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Geof Greeneisen
    Hey Geof haha right that would be terrible! Right now I'm looking into starting a rent to own real estate investment company helping residents own homes with a RTO program. I'll also be purchasing homes myself for my own cash-flow. Let's stay in contact!

    Joshua Dorkin
    Thanks Joshua, yeah I'm pretty excited about jumping in now since I've found BP. Seems like a pretty informative and motivating place to be online. I'll definitely be involved here.

    Julie Grupke
    Hey Julie, I'm seeing that already. I actually thought BP was just for entrepreneurs until I found out it was JUST for real estate then I joined and haven't looked back. Let's keep in touch.

    Thanks for the welcomes

    James

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.