Atty/Newbie Investor in Houston, TX

Atty/Newbie Investor in Houston, TX

Attorney · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hey everyone!

My name is Chris Hydrick. I'm a transactional attorney in Houston, TX. Occasionally, I get to work on some CRE deals, but spend the majority of my time in the corporate space. I spent the last 5 years living in Miami, but needed a change. I moved to Houston in June 2019, sat the TX bar exam, and joined a Corporate/CRE firm in central Houston.

I have been interested in real estate investing ever since reading Rich Dad Poor Dad close to 10 years ago. However, until recently, I've never been in a position where I felt like I could take the risk to foray into real estate investing. While living in Miami, I didn't work at a law firm. Instead, I decided to build my RE and investment mgmt knowledge, working at Marcus & Millichap with a multi-tenant retail team, as well as fairly large asset mgmt team at Merrill Lynch.

I believe that the coronavirus outbreak is going to set up some really attractive opportunities over the next year or so, and I would love to get in when the deals start cropping up. I have quite a network of legal/tax/accounting individuals, as well as access to capital. However, despite working at one of the larger CRE brokerages in the country, I have never actually walked through and done a deal myself.


I would love to find a partner in either the HTX or SoFlo area(s) that can help walk me through the first few deals. I'm not as familiar with Houston yet, but know South Florida very well. I want to look at Multi-family properties because, regardless of the economic/business environment, people have to have some place to live. Office and retail seem out of my risk appetite profile with the uncertain outcome of this pandemic. I also know nothing about hotel mgmt or industrial.

Looking forward to connecting with some like-minded people!

Best,

Chris

1Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Hydrick:

    Hey everyone!

    My name is Chris Hydrick. I'm a transactional attorney in Houston, TX. Occasionally, I get to work on some CRE deals, but spend the majority of my time in the corporate space. I spent the last 5 years living in Miami, but needed a change. I moved to Houston in June 2019, sat the TX bar exam, and joined a Corporate/CRE firm in central Houston.

    I have been interested in real estate investing ever since reading Rich Dad Poor Dad close to 10 years ago. However, until recently, I've never been in a position where I felt like I could take the risk to foray into real estate investing. While living in Miami, I didn't work at a law firm. Instead, I decided to build my RE and investment mgmt knowledge, working at Marcus & Millichap with a multi-tenant retail team, as well as fairly large asset mgmt team at Merrill Lynch.

    I believe that the coronavirus outbreak is going to set up some really attractive opportunities over the next year or so, and I would love to get in when the deals start cropping up. I have quite a network of legal/tax/accounting individuals, as well as access to capital. However, despite working at one of the larger CRE brokerages in the country, I have never actually walked through and done a deal myself.


    I would love to find a partner in either the HTX or SoFlo area(s) that can help walk me through the first few deals. I'm not as familiar with Houston yet, but know South Florida very well. I want to look at Multi-family properties because, regardless of the economic/business environment, people have to have some place to live. Office and retail seem out of my risk appetite profile with the uncertain outcome of this pandemic. I also know nothing about hotel mgmt or industrial.

    Looking forward to connecting with some like-minded people!

    Best,

    Chris

    Hello Christopher,

    Welcome to BP, many of us on here also read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and caught the bug!

    This is a great place to connect with people in and around your target market.

    For new BP'ers looking to build their network, I recommend 4 things:

    1. complete your BP profile - be as detailed and specific as possible when mentioning your goals. There are many people with value to add to you and plenty of people you can add value to as well!

    2. use the 'search' function to find topics, members and areas of interest. Get answers to your questions and find people using this function!

    3. Set up keyword alerts so that you can receive notifications once a topic or area of interest in mentioned in one of the forums. Its a great way to stay current!

    4. Check out the Events tab at the top to find local meet ups around you.

    Best of luck to you moving forward!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hi Atty. Christopher. Welcome to our BiggerPockets community!

    Here are the recommendations I can initially give you:

    1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

    2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

    3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

    4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

    5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

    Keep learning and searching! Connect with REI experts and like-minded people in BP! Over the next 4-6 months, you'll get more extra $ earning in NO TIME!

    See you around!

    Best regards,

    Craig Curelop

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.