New BP Member from Toronto, ON

New BP Member from Toronto, ON

Investor · Canada · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Community,

My name is Shawn and I am from Canada. I am a new member to Bigger Pockets and Real Estate investing however, I am not new to investing. I have a business running involving investments in the Stock Market and I am also working in IT as a full-time. Lately I have been listening to BP podcasts and attending the webinars to get familiarize the BRRR strategy past month. Due to Covid-19 there are a lot more opportunities available in the market.

I've read a lot of business books and some of the top on my list are "Think and Grow Rich", "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", "The Intelligent Investor", "The Art of War", "Mastery", and "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (PS. there are many more, but too many to list). Currently reading Brandon Turner and David Greene's books on RE investing.

My goal for joining BP and as I prepare myself to get into RE investing, I would like to:

  • Connect/Network with Investors, Real Estate agents/Realtors, Mortgage Brokers, Contractors, Lawyers in locations (Toronto - GTA, London, Peterborough).
  • Learn about any meetups or seminars taking place in the GTA.
  • Any advice/recommendations the BP community may have for someone new getting into Real Estate investing in Canada or in general.

Thanks for reading! I am very excited to get more involved with the BP community and start RE investing.

Shawn

2Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
6y

@Shawn Halder Welcome aboard! 

If you wish to network or ask specific questions about your local market, you can go to your local real estate forum and discuss with investors from your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/86-local-real-estate-networking

Or you can directly meet them by registering to real estate events around you: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Shawn Halder Welcome aboard! 

    If you wish to network or ask specific questions about your local market, you can go to your local real estate forum and discuss with investors from your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/86-local-real-estate-networking

    Or you can directly meet them by registering to real estate events around you: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings

    Best of luck!

  • Kingsland, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 86 votes
    6y

    Hello, @Shawn Halder! Welcome to BiggerPockets! How did you come across BP? Those are some great books.

  • Investor · Canada · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Nick Peters Thanks a lot for the info, I will check out the links you have posted.

    @Account Closed Thank you! I always had an interest in RE investing, came across BP videos hosted by Brandon on YouTube which piqued my interest because his BRRR strategy and the numbers worked well with what I was looking for.

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Shawn Halder!

    Great to have you here in BP site and there are a lot of opportunities while we are on quarantine!

    Let us take advantage of this time to learn Real Estate education by browsing, reading, listening and building your network. Connect with other members here from Canada area to learn from their success stories and experiences. I am sharing to you some of my initial and general recommendations:

            1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

            2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

            3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

            4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

            5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

    Good luck in your investing journey! Keep safe and healthy, and see you around the site!

    Best regards,

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y

    Welcome..

    there are meets up in GTA.. north york Toronto Hamilton..

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Halder:

    Hello BP Community,

    My name is Shawn and I am from Canada. I am a new member to Bigger Pockets and Real Estate investing however, I am not new to investing. I have a business running involving investments in the Stock Market and I am also working in IT as a full-time. Lately I have been listening to BP podcasts and attending the webinars to get familiarize the BRRR strategy past month. Due to Covid-19 there are a lot more opportunities available in the market.

    I've read a lot of business books and some of the top on my list are "Think and Grow Rich", "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", "The Intelligent Investor", "The Art of War", "Mastery", and "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (PS. there are many more, but too many to list). Currently reading Brandon Turner and David Greene's books on RE investing.

    My goal for joining BP and as I prepare myself to get into RE investing, I would like to:

    • Connect/Network with Investors, Real Estate agents/Realtors, Mortgage Brokers, Contractors, Lawyers in locations (Toronto - GTA, London, Peterborough).
    • Learn about any meetups or seminars taking place in the GTA.
    • Any advice/recommendations the BP community may have for someone new getting into Real Estate investing in Canada or in general.

    Thanks for reading! I am very excited to get more involved with the BP community and start RE investing.

    Shawn

     Welcome aboard Shawn.

  • Investor · Canada · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Craig Curelop Thanks for all the info, I will check out the books you've recommended. And yes I'm attending all of the weekly Webinars/BP videos on YouTube!

    @Hai Loc Thanks, I've sent you a request maybe we can discuss more details about the meetups. 

    @James Wise Thank you James!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.